Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Old 11-29-2018, 12:14 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,563 Likes on 3,421 Posts
Z1 Motorsports Polyurethane Motor Mounts

Couldn't resist a Black Friday Sale at Z1 Motorsports. After years of circling around this mod, and finally getting some very positive feedback from 4DRZ once his mounts were installed, I ordered a pair of polyurethane Motor Mounts.

Tiny things, actually. But I'm expecting a big smile driving the car after they get installed... which won't be until Spring 2019. Until then, they sit in the corner of my office and mock me with anticipation.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-19-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:47 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Bell Raceworks Rear Differential Brace

Another suspension toy waiting for Springtime.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:55 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Nice! Curious to hear your impressions on this once you get it installed.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:08 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Nice! Curious to hear your impressions on this once you get it installed.
Absolutely! The diff brace should be a simple DIY project, on my back with the car's back end up on ramps. But if I have the shop swap engine mounts before I get to that, then I might do the diff brace at the same time, while it's on the lift. However it happens this Spring, I'm pretty jazzed up at the idea of taking throttle response up a notch, and making the car a little more... tense, I guess is the word.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-02-2019 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:03 AM
MNfiniti
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Been thinking about those mounts, was hoping you'd get them installed before I decide to pull the trigger... : P
Old 02-02-2019, 11:16 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 696 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by MNfiniti
Been thinking about those mounts, was hoping you'd get them installed before I decide to pull the trigger... : P
If you are talking about the motor mounts or differential mount I have both of them installed already. You can see info. about them in my build thread. Both are in the last few pages as they are relatively recent. I also have a review of the differential mount that spurred the recent group buy. Feel free to post up any questions on either thread.

Build thread: https://www.myg37.com/forums/build-t...spd-sedan.html

Rear differential thread: https://www.myg37.com/forums/drivetr...ial-brace.html
Old 02-07-2019, 06:41 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

Absolutely! The diff brace should be a simple DIY project, on my back with the car's back end up on ramps. But if I have the shop swap engine mounts before I get to that, then I might do the diff brace at the same time, while it's on the lift. However it happens this Spring, I'm pretty jazzed up at the idea of taking throttle response up a notch, and making the car a little more... tense, I guess is the word.
Yeah, as the Brits like to say, it definitely looks like a nice piece of kit. I think it should definitely firm up the off throttle to on throttle transitions (and vice-versa)... just wondering if it is going to add any unwanted harshness and/or vibrations to the drivetrain, so I'm curious to hear your opinions once you get it installed.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:40 PM
Rochester
Administrator

In November 2016, I was having a problem starting the car. Turned out it was the clutch position sensor and a 20 minute, $20 fix. But around that time, I was thinking the original battery was 5 years old, so let's proactively replace it before it becomes a problem. And if it were part of the problem I was experiencing (it wasn't), all the better. So I spent $120 on an OEM replacement (which I believe is an Infiniti-rebranded Interstate Battery.)

Fast forward two and a half years, to last month, when the car began having a hard time starting in the morning, when bone cold out. I thought perhaps the battery was going bad, and maybe I could just wait it out until the warm weather arrived. Well, that didn't happen, and it died on me yesterday. No so much that it was "dead" per se, but it couldn't turn over the car.

So I took it out of the engine bay (which is a major PITA, what with the two engine trim panels and all), and I drove it right back to the Infiniti dealership where I bought it over the counter. They pro-rated the replacement at 30% off, took the core replacement, and charged me $85, which is pretty good in that they're now using batteries with 700 CCA, instead of the original 580 CCA.

So anyway, that happened yesterday. That's my boring car story.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:27 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 696 Likes on 499 Posts
I ran into a similar issue with my original battery recently. I found it odd that they have a much better warranty on a replacement battery than they do on the battery that came with the car (3yr vs. 6yr). Does anyone else think that is strange?
Old 04-14-2019, 07:07 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Headlight Bulbs

Replaced my original OEM headlight bulbs yesterday. Wow, what a difference! I knew the original bulbs were getting weak, but didn't realize the difference would be so dramatic. It's like brand new again.

Also removed my winter spacers, and swapped out my duckfeet & snow tires for the Vossens & summer tires. Every springtime, it's just the best feeling ever to get off snows and back to some proper high-performance rubber. The car simply drives so-o-o much better again.

And I swapped out my winter shift **** for my titanium summer ****. Been looking forward to that, too.

So now that I'm de-wintered, I need to do a serious hand wash, claybar & wax. And I'm going to be installing that rear diff brace in the next couple of weeks. After that, I need to make an appointment with the shop to install the new motor mounts.

Springtime is always awesome. Wheels, tires, and springtime mods.... Like the car is reborn every year.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-18-2019 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:02 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
What new bulbs did you install?
Old 04-14-2019, 07:10 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by qmantran
What new bulbs did you install?
Morimoto XB35, 5500K

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/d2s...reselect=49469
Old 04-15-2019, 09:28 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Replaced my original OEM headlight bulbs yesterday. Wow, what a difference! I knew the original bulbs were getting weak, but didn't realize the difference would be so dramatic. It's like brand new again.

Also removed my winter spacers, and swapped out my duckfeet & snow tires for the Vossens & summer tires. Every springtime, it's just the best feeling ever to get off snows and back to some proper high-performance rubber. The car simply drives so-o-o much better again.

And I swapped out my winter shift **** for my titanium summer ****. Been looking forward to that, too.

So now that I'm de-wintered, I need to do a serious hand wash, claybar & wax. And I'm going to be installing that rear diff brace in the next couple of weeks. After that, I need to make an appointment with the shop to install the new motor mounts.

Springtime is always awesome. Wheels, tires, and springtime mods.... Like the car is reborn every year.
I envy you for being able to switch to summer mode already, w're getting wild temperature swings all week still and the temps when i drive to work are too cold for summer tires...interesting about the bulbs...I bought some replacements years ago and never used them....do you think they would have deteriorated by just sitting in the box?

Oh and I'm uber jealous of all you guys who got the diff brace...I have been trying to get one from Bell for a while now they have been sold out..I feel like it'll be an even bigger difference one i have the sticky summer rubber on
Old 04-15-2019, 10:11 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hashim
I envy you for being able to switch to summer mode already, w're getting wild temperature swings all week still and the temps when i drive to work are too cold for summer tires
That's weird. I mean, you're just on the other side of the lake.

However, if temps are in the 30's (Fahrenheit) and you have to drive the car as a daily, then absolutely wait for things to warm up. Sounds like you know the deal... summer tires will get chewed up in low temps, and the grip will be dangerously non-existent.

interesting about the bulbs...I bought some replacements years ago and never used them....do you think they would have deteriorated by just sitting in the box?
I can't imagine why they would go bad just sitting on the shelf. Go for it, Hashim. This was the first time I've ever replaced headlight bulbs on the G, and although it was a PITA peeling back the wheel well liner for access, the second side was vastly easier. There's a youtube video which is super helpful; just search, you'll find it.

All throughout 2018 and into this past winter, whenever I drove my car at night I was keenly aware at how weak the lights had become. They *looked* the same, but they were just weak. Putting the new bulbs in was a huge change in visibility. Feel kind of stupid that I waited this long.

Oh and I'm uber jealous of all you guys who got the diff brace...I have been trying to get one from Bell for a while now they have been sold out..I feel like it'll be an even bigger difference one i have the sticky summer rubber on
Well, I've not installed it yet, but probably will this coming weekend. All my girls will be out of town, just me and the dog and a weather forecast for a beautiful Saturday.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:47 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
That's weird. I mean, you're just on the other side of the lake.

However, if temps are in the 30's (Fahrenheit) and you have to drive the car as a daily, then absolutely wait for things to warm up. Sounds like you know the deal... summer tires will get chewed up in low temps, and the grip will be dangerously non-existent.

I can't imagine why they would go bad just sitting on the shelf. Go for it, Hashim. This was the first time I've ever replaced headlight bulbs on the G, and although it was a PITA peeling back the wheel well liner for access, the second side was vastly easier. There's a youtube video which is super helpful; just search, you'll find it.

All throughout 2018 and into this past winter, whenever I drove my car at night I was keenly aware at how weak the lights had become. They *looked* the same, but they were just weak. Putting the new bulbs in was a huge change in visibility. Feel kind of stupid that I waited this long.

Well, I've not installed it yet, but probably will this coming weekend. All my girls will be out of town, just me and the dog and a weather forecast for a beautiful Saturday.
lol, I know the weather difference is weird right?... but I do know buffalo (and presumably Rochester to a certain extent) gets way more snow than us every year so theres some kind of difference....

for some reason I have taken almost zero interest in my car's lighting over the years... I have only replaced lights when I thought they were out completely...I thought a main light was out when I bought the bulbs I have now, but turned out it was a DRL so they have sat in the box waiting for one to go out....but if it makes a noticeable difference in brightness I'll stick them in when I swap the wheels ...my main bulbs have been on for at least the 8 years I've had the car but probably closer to the 12 years the cars bee non the road though...

fingers crossed on the weather holding up for the weekend on my side of the lake lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rochester's new G