Build Threads

The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan

Old 09-20-2015, 06:55 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan

9/20/15-After searching for many months, I finally picked up a '13 G37S 6spd sedan with about 18k miles in Moonlight White. I was happy that it had the factory accessories I wanted like the Sport Grille, Spoiler, and Illuminated Kick plates. My goal for the car is mainly a daily driver with occasional track days.

First, I did the boring stuff like injector cleaner, clay bar, paste wax, Rain-X, condition the leather, removed "Infiniti" from the trunk, and installed a new microfilter, and new floor mats.

The next day I had the windows tinted and ordered a Stillen Exhaust, Z1 high flow cats, Z1 transmission mount, magnetic oil plug, MTEC shifter springs, and Z1 stainless flexible brake lines.

I had time to do the exhaust, transmission mount, and brake lines with Motul RBF600 fluid. The exhaust and brake lines are great and I wrote about them in the reviews section.

Stillen cat back exhaust

Z1 Motorsports Urethane Transmission Mount

Z1 Motorsports Stainless Steel Brake lines

Motul RBF600 brake fluid

9/26-Today I got the MTEC shifter springs installed. They make a noticeable difference, especially with the transmission mount installed earlier. More information on page 3.

10/7- Installed Tein Basis coilovers last night after work. Easy installation and ride great on almost every type of road. More info. on page 4 and a full write up in the Review Only section with some installation tips.

10/14- Installed a Redline shift boot and Torque Solution shift ****. Here is a link to the install with tips and pics:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/drivetr...lrin-****.html

10/28- Had to have the Redline arm rest cover modified/installed as it did not fit right. Looks good now.

11/18- Last night I changed oil/filter and installed the Zspeed undertray and Z1 magnetic oil plug. Both parts install easily and work well.

12/2- Installed the jsolo clutch pedal assist spring the other day. It works well and is easy to install.

12/17- Had a Stillen Crank pulley installed while in for warranty work. Nice improvement with how quickly it revs now.

Last edited by 4DRZ; 02-12-2020 at 12:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GQ57s_stein (04-14-2020)
Old 09-20-2015, 07:08 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

1/13/16- New plates for Christmas. My wife wrapped them up and put on the tag that they were from her and the DOT before I saw them in the mail. Clever girl

1.27- Installed a B&M short throw shifter a while back, but wanted to drive with it a while before posting up a review. It was very tight and notchy when I first installed it, but it has since softened up significantly. It feels great and no complaints. A good mod and a high quality part if you are considering a shift kit.

2.10- I recently installed a new shortened Redline shift boot and a new tear drop delrin Torque Solution shift **** to get the heights right with the B&M short shifter. Easy to install since I already installed a regular height Redline shift boot (probably will be for sale if anyone wants it). Everything fits and works excellently.

2/23- Finally, after 2 months of screwing around with a machine shop, my painted Evo wheels fit. Not bad for snow tires

3/8- Installed DC ceramic coated headers and Z1 high flow cats with all new gaskets. Sounds great and frees up quite a bit of power.

3/25- Put on Hotchkis sway bars and Vodoo 13 rear camber arms. More detailed info. on page 10

4/6- Installed a Stillen 25 row oil cooler last week. Nice quality part, just bad instructions and tech support. Lots more info. on page 11.

5/2- Finally got around to taking some pics of the new TSW Interlagos rims and RE-71R sticky tires.

5/13- I installed the Moog front endlinks to take care of my clunking problem. More info. on page 14

9/14- I removed the factory shift pattern and clear coat on the shifter trim surround to compliment a new shift **** that is on the way. Very shiny and looks good with the rest of the interior trim. More about how to do this on page 18.

9/20- Got the Raceseng Sphereology shift **** installed and it works, feels, and looks great. More on page 18 about this and how difficult it is to get good pics. This car has really come along nicely in the last year.

9/28- Today I had to replace both front tires due to flat spotting them at Road America when my ABS went out. Tirerack claims they come with 8/32's, but they barely hit 7/32's brand new?? Also 2 rear ABS sensors and Redline rear diff fluid on the way.

11/15- Today I did some track day prep with a Z1 insulated clutch cable, Redline 75W/90 Rear Diff fluid, Redline D4 ATF fluid for the power steering, Allstar Performance brake bleeder caps, and Motul RBF600 for the brakes and clutch. Hopefully, now it can handle the heat a little better.

Last edited by 4DRZ; 08-19-2020 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:04 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

1/12/17- A few days ago I got a Phase 2 radiator cap with temperature gauge since the factory gauge on the dash never really moves when it gets hot. Looking forward to using it at the track every time I pop my hood after a session to cool down.

2/5- Just got the Z1 Intake Plenum, Cold Air Intakes, and their custom ECU tune. The last remaining parts of their 400hp kit. Great upgrade! More info. starting on page 22.

3/8- Installed the 2 front Z1 rear diff bushings. Easy install, slightly better response, and no new NVH. 3rd bushing in subframe TBD. More on page 24.

5/15- Finally had time to install the rear subframe bushing, Z1 high capacity rear differential cover with cooling fins, and Redline rear differential fluid. Also picked up some exhaust wrap to help keep heat away from those pesky differential mounted ABS sensors. More info. on page 30.

6/24- Yesterday I got my OBDLink LX Bluetooth Scanner (
Amazon Amazon
) to work with the Torque Pro Ap with the Advanced EX plug-in. Great info. for track days so I don't overheat anything and way easier (and cheaper) than actual gauges. Now I am just trying to find a good mount for my phone so it does not move around when I corner. Let me know if you have suggestions.

7/4- Installed Z1 master cylinder brace- very time consuming install for no gain on the street. Hopefully, will notice some difference on track. My painful/funny review on p. 32.

7/31- Flushed the transmission with Red Line MT-85 since the factory fluid was getting dark. Hopefully, this will hold up a bit better under the heat of track days.

8/19- Installed Z1/Stillen brake ducts on the car and it went well. Good quality parts and no surprises. A lot more detail and pictures can be found on page 33.

11/8- Finally got my Sparco R600 seat and installed it today with the Bride seat rails. Very comfortable and supportive seat. More info on page 37.

11/19- I installed the RJM clutch pedal assembly (left) the other day and it is probably the first mod you should get if you have a 6spd. It completely gets rid of the jerky stock clutch pedal feel and makes it smooth throughout the entire range of motion. More on page 38.

12/15- I FINALLY got my 400hp tune from Z1 sorted. It took 8+ months of trying to convince them something was wrong with the tune and waiting for a cable, another 3 solid months of daily calls to Jon at Z1 just to try to track him down and 13 tunes to fix my car. It now drives well and has lots of usable power (especially the 93 octane tune). P.S. Don't ever do a mail-in tune.

Last edited by 4DRZ; 02-26-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:05 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

2/26/18- I finally have my Sparco seat back in with the lowered seat rails so I can fit with a helmet and I think I have finally resolved my airbag light with a new 2.2 ohm resistor and also by making sure to disconnect the battery before switching seats.

3/10- I finally wrapped the lower half of the bumpers and side sills in carbon to give the car the more aggressive look of a chin spoiler and rear diffuser. It looks awesome in person!

Rear "diffuser"

"Chin spoiler" You can barely see the carbon weave if you blow it up full size.

You can just start to see the carbon weave here. Looks awesome in person!

4/3- I had the 4.083 gears installed. They make a big difference in the lower gears. More info. including pics with all the part numbers on page 46.

4/9- Installed the Mishimoto radiator/condenser and Concept Z silicone radiator hoses.

4/25- Today's project was installing my new carbon wrapped grille with a new emblem and new high air flow mesh to hopefully help with coolant temps on track. (More on page 49)

5/20- I had Outerwears makes some custom water resistant covers for my Z1 air filters and got to install them today. More on page 51.

5/21- I had my chrome window trim carbon wrapped to match the grille, splitter, side sills and other black trim.

5/23- Today I installed my Z1 2pc. slotted front rotors. They shave 8.2 lbs/corner and should help with cooling. More on page 51.

5/26- I had the Z1 rear subframe bushings installed. Good for track, but difficult to notice on the street.

6/10- I reshaped, sanded, and repainted the jack points and pinch welds and installed my second ZSpeed under tray. More on page 52.

8/6- Installed Z1 motor mounts. Nice improvement in shifting precision and throttle response. More on page 57.

9/3- I installed an Alutec strut tower brace. Shiny, but doesn't do much.

11/6- Z1 adjustable front control arms and SPL endlinks are installed and the alignment is in progress. I am curious to see how it drives. More on page 61.

11/25- Bolted up my new hyper black Drag DR-73 rims and Blizzak WS-80 tires. More on page 62.

Last edited by 4DRZ; 11-27-2018 at 10:24 AM.
reliable (09-16-2018)
Old 09-20-2015, 10:06 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

1/7/2019- The 1st mod of 2019 and it is a good one. The Bell Raceworks rear differential brace transforms the way the car puts down power. The most bang for the buck drivetrain/suspension mod so far. More on page 66.

1/28- After wind chills to -53 degrees I upgraded from the 580 CCA battery to a new 700 CCA battery that also has a much better warranty.

7/12- Installed carbon fiber mirror caps from EZSplitters. Quality product that is lightweight, but EZSplitters has very slow service. More on page 76.

7/31- I finally got the Bride seat rails and Sparco R600 seat for the passenger side and shaved off almost 20 lbs. in the process. Here is a link to the install if anyone else is thinking of replacing their seats (post 376): https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-in...-sedan-26.html

8.6- I added this funny sticker to my passenger mirror the other day. Every sticker adds 50 hp, right?

9.19- I painted my brake calipers and rotor hats black and put on white Akebono stickers. The brakes look so much better now.

Last edited by 4DRZ; 08-08-2020 at 09:42 PM.
Rooster Tail (02-02-2020)
Old 09-20-2015, 10:06 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

2.5.20- I finally got my Skyline kickplates and installed the driver's side. I do not recommend doing this during the winter. Adhesive is a lot easier to work with when it is warm. I might just wait to do the passenger side until the spring.

3.29- I finally got around to installing the passenger side Skyline kick plate with the warmer weather. Much easier to install with a little more heat from the heat gun and plastic razor blades to remove the original adhesive with some goo gone. More on page 89.

4.22- All of the floor mats are transferred over for the Skyline 370GT conversion just by using patches. It turned out really well. More info. on page 90.

5.25- Enough of the badges finally arrived to do my trunk. It went pretty smooth and turned out really well. I also got my new plates. Still waiting on a badge for the front grille and my steering wheel cover. (More on page 92)

7.1- The Nissan steering wheel cover finally arrived from Japan and I got it installed. My Nissan Skyline 370GT conversion is now complete! It took a few more steps to the installation than I was expecting, but not too bad. More on page 97.

Last edited by 4DRZ; 07-01-2020 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:07 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

For use in 2021

Last edited by 4DRZ; 02-26-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:08 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Reserved for future mods

Last edited by 4DRZ; 01-17-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:07 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Plenty of room for about as many mods as you can do^^^^ Looking forward to how this goes
As far as Z 19s, here's a few links, typically the front needs 15-20mm spacers to match the fit in the back, and the rear rim will be a bit outside the fender at regular camber but w/ a 275 will tuck just inside the fender edge.

Just got 370z wheels - G35Driver

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...y-sedan-2.html

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...for-sedan.html

2009 370z rims for 2008 G35S Sedan? - 6MT.net Infiniti G35/G37/GTR Forums

Just put the 370z wheels on my car... - G35Driver
Old 09-20-2015, 06:54 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Awesome! Thanks for all your help blnewt
Old 09-20-2015, 09:52 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
White on black 6MT RWD was exactly what I wanted to buy when I got my car. Nice rare find you have there! I would just go with the Tein Basics and avoid the possible droopy bum of the swift springs.

I personally wouldn't call my car a 4 door Z, but more power to you!
Old 09-20-2015, 11:51 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Judging by your Avitar I can see you skipped way over the performance of a "4 door Z." I figured it was a good place to start since it has the same engine, trans, chassis, and brakes of the Z. We'll see how it goes...

Thanks for the input on the Tein Basis. That is the way I am leaning now. Still researching though.

Last edited by 4DRZ; 09-21-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:30 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I think the 370Z wheels are out due to needing a spacer up front. With track days, all the heat in the front brakes and stress on the hubs and wheel studs up front, the last thing I need are thick spacers.

I think TSW's forged 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 Interlagos wheels with Bridgestone RE-11's in 245/45 and 275/40 are the way I will go. Hopefully, they will have those sizes in the RE-11A by spring.

I can report I am slowly becoming a fan of the Z1 Motorsports transmission mount. Either it broke in a little, the Stillen exhaust got a bit louder, or I am just getting used to it. (Probably a combo of all 3) The shifting slop is greatly reduced. However, I would not recommend this modification if you are not at least planning to upgrade your exhaust as it will definitely increase noise and vibration. Not nearly as bad as the Drop Engineering transmission mount. I will post up a full review of this part in the review section after driving on it a few more days.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:20 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I think the 370Z wheels are out due to needing a spacer up front. With track days, all the heat in the front brakes and stress on the hubs and wheel studs up front, the last thing I need are thick spacers.

I think TSW's forged 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 Interlagos wheels with Bridgestone RE-11's in 245/45 and 275/40 are the way I will go. Hopefully, they will have those sizes in the RE-11A by spring.

I can report I am slowly becoming a fan of the Z1 Motorsports transmission mount. Either it broke in a little, the Stillen exhaust got a bit louder, or I am just getting used to it. (Probably a combo of all 3) The shifting slop is greatly reduced. However, I would not recommend this modification if you are not at least planning to upgrade your exhaust as it will definitely increase noise and vibration. Not nearly as bad as the Drop Engineering transmission mount. I will post up a full review of this part in the review section after driving on it a few more days.
The TSWs aren't forged, they are flow formed cast. I think that should still make for a decent track setup with the RE-11s. I'm trying to figure out what my track wheels will be as well. The mount situation is probably a combo like you said, I have the Z1 motor and transmission mounts and NVH has increased but not nearly as much as my other mods. Definitely not changes for someone who wants to keep the luxury aspect of these cars. Since you plan on tracking more in the future I would definitely recommend a differential bushing upgrade.

Last edited by ttv36; 09-21-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:07 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

The TSW Interlagos is rotary forged which is why it is so light and appeals to me. Not a lot of light and strong wheel options for this car.
Interlagos Alloy Wheels by TSW

Thanks for the tip on the diff bushings. What type of improvement did you notice with those. Did you notice much of an increase in noise and vibration with the diff bushings?

I think once I do the intake I will completely forget I even have the transmission mount. Later if I do headers and the engine mounts I could always revert to stock on the transmission mount if it gets too loud. I imagine those engine mounts take out a lot of slop too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan