Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 09:25 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
And how much in just aftermarket parts? (no labor, regular maintenance, shipping, fluids, etc.)
Old 11-12-2018, 09:29 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
And how much in just aftermarket parts? (no labor, regular maintenance, shipping, fluids, etc.)
Define "aftermarket parts". Lots of bits & pieces & bulbs and other little crap that actually adds up.

Are you saying just performance parts? And are we excluding wheels & tires?
Old 11-12-2018, 09:33 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I mean parts you have added to improve something on the car whether it be performance, visual, or whatever. I was saying it tongue-in-cheek as I feel I am dangerously close to your number and I have only had the car just over 3 years. Please don't actually add it all up. (If I add up all the labor, shipping, etc. like you I think I will have a heart attack)
Old 11-12-2018, 09:42 PM
Rochester
Administrator

It's too difficult to chop up the list like that. If you're genuinely curious, PM me your email and I'll send you a cleaned up copy of the workbook.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:14 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Rochester, no worries. I was being facetious. I was worried (and probably certain) that I have spent as much or more than you in car parts in 3 years than you have in 7. Yikes! That gives me good reason to keep the car a bit longer. Then again, those new M3's are so nice (and the ATS-V is no slouch either).
Old 11-14-2018, 07:49 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Rochester, no worries. I was being facetious. I was worried (and probably certain) that I have spent as much or more than you in car parts in 3 years than you have in 7. Yikes! That gives me good reason to keep the car a bit longer. Then again, those new M3's are so nice (and the ATS-V is no slouch either).
Following you for the last 3 years, I'm sure you've spent more than I have in the last 7 years.

It supports a curious proposition: spend $30k to $40k on a car, plus another $20k to $30k in mods and things over its lifetime... or spend $50k to $60k on something vastly better out of the gate, then do nothing but maintenance and car washes. While the second would certainly be more upscale and trouble-free, the first approach is much more fun. (And frustrating. Let's just admit that.)

In other news... woke up to 2" of snow today, and none of our cars have snow tires on yet. Because it's only freaking November 14th!
Old 11-14-2018, 04:23 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I agree with you about the pricing conundrum when picking out a car. I usually try to pick the most performance oriented version so that I do not have to spend a ton on parts. I discovered this when I had a WRX that I spent about $25k on parts over 6 years. It was fun to pass Evo's and cars I had no business keeping up with, but the '09 STI I got after that I only sunk about $10k in parts and it was a far better car.

This is also why I pay such close attention to brakes. That is probably the most expensive item to upgrade if you need to get bigger rotors or fixed front and rear calipers. (This is why I try to stay away from the E46 and E92 M3.) Another area that seems to be a PITA and not cheap to upgrade are seats. Let's not forget the engine. My next car will more than likely be turbo charged since it is usually much less expensive to add significant power. I knew this going into the G37S, but by the time you do intakes, plenum, tune, headers, cats, exhaust, etc it really adds up. A newer M3 or ATS-V can be well over 500hp for less than $1,500!?! Finally, weight. You can make a car lighter, but it is always best to start with the lightest one. What's the saying, "fast, good, or cheap- pick two"

I guess I didn't realize I was going to take this car quite so far. Then again, that is the thing about these car forums- you see someone else do something cool and you think to yourself, "Hey, I should try that." For example, you and your rear gears- you totally swayed me to try it and I am glad that I did it.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (11-14-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 08:39 AM
Rochester
Administrator

For example, you and your rear gears- you totally swayed me to try it and I am glad that I did it.
Right back at you. It would very cool to get together with our cars someday, given the similarities in how they're modded, and a like-minded attitude about automotive values. Will almost certainly never happen, because of distance, but would be cool nonetheless.

Anyway, thank you.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:43 PM
ngolbuff
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts
I hope there a notice given for when and where these two amazing cars meet. I (and Im sure many others) would like to be a part of that. I volunteer my stock X sedan to be the comparison for the starting basis
Old 11-16-2018, 08:22 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by ngolbuff
I hope there a notice given for when and where these two amazing cars meet. I (and Im sure many others) would like to be a part of that. I volunteer my stock X sedan to be the comparison for the starting basis
Well, that was kind of you to write. While I certainly appreciate my car (and I'm sure the same for 4DRZ), at the end of the day they're still just mid-sized Nissan sedans with a few modest modifications, all bolt-on part swaps. There are some cars here which elevate way-y-y beyond typical builds... Adrian's car comes to mind (2GoRNot2G'). Boosted, uniquely modified, and a show car too.

In any event, thanks ngolbuff.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:02 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Hmmm... This sounds like the beginning of a very cool G car meet. You're right, the logistics are not the easiest (especially now with my little girl- just turned a month old yesterday), but I think we could make it work. I've always wanted to check out Z days or one of the big car meets, but that is a long drive.

Rochester, you are also right about newer cars being at a completely different performance level. I have been doing track days for a long time now and my driving ability was always the limiting factor in the beginning. Now it is clearly the car. Even though I have funneled a lot of money into upgrading the performance and it corners and brakes great, today's cars are so faaast! If you show up to the track with anything less than 500hp, get ready to get passed. 1,200 hp GT-R's and 1,000 hp Corvettes in my class and I'm sitting in my heavier car with barely 400hp wondering if I should put an orange triangle on the back to warn other drivers of the slow car.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:42 AM
Rochester
Administrator

ZDays is in North Carolina, and you're way up at the top of Wisconsin. You're 12 hours from me, and Zdays is 13 hours. Actually, Zdays is 13 hours from you, too.

But seriously, it doesn't seem practical, pushing nearly 2k of miles on the car for one weekend.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:22 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Life's supposed to be all about experiences right? It's funny I was always so careful about putting miles on my car to try to save residual value. Now that I have an extended warranty and realize that this car did not hold its value very well, I am not worrying about long drives anymore.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:51 PM
Rochester
Administrator

You could organize a G37 meetup for 2019. This year was the first year without one in five years. However, I question how many people you could sign up that far away from the Northeast states, where it seems the bulk of attendees were always coming from. New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Maryland, etc.

Be forewarned, It's difficult organizing a car meet of any size. But if I can get wherever it is in 4 to 6 hours, I'd do that.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:02 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I might consider going to a meet if I am available, but unfortunately I don't have the time to organize something like that.

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G