Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 10:27 AM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
Was roaming the internet and came across this... felt it was fitting after your comment. I feel it resonates with all of us that hope to see a MT in our driveway, that we love to drive.

Motortrend.com , by Words: Jason Cammisa

“I'm an outspoken fan of manual transmissions in sports cars, and the 911 R highlights why. When you depress the accelerator, you're asking for the throttle to be opened. What happens then is up to you. In any sort of automatic, you're not asking for throttle. You're asking for torque to accelerate the car. Outside of revving it with the transmission in neutral, you don't ever get to speak directly with the engine. You never learn, for example, about how that light flywheel lets the engine rev up so quickly on throttle blips. Or how it makes the 911 R incredibly easy to stall. Or how it contributes to that light bucking as you get off the gas.

The difference in interaction with an engine is like, if you'll pardon the strange analogy, spending an evening with your girlfriend versus visiting her in prison.

Visit the prison, and you get to see her behind a wall of glass. You pick up a phone and even hear her voice while watching her lips move to make the subtle sounds of speech. You make a joke, and you can watch her smile.

After a while you might get used to it. After some time, you might even think that seeing and hearing her is the same thing as being together. But it's a tease. By then, you'll have forgotten all the granular stuff, the softness of her hair, the smell of her skin, or the way her breathing pattern changes just after she falls asleep.

(You'll probably have forgotten that she's a homicidal mental patient and that's why she wound up in jail in the first place. I digress.)

My point still applies. I suspect driving the R after a GT3 RS would feel like getting out of a simulator and into the real thing. No disrespect to the RS. By the numbers (0-60, lap times) it's superior to the R. But I won't stop driving just because I can't keep up with Walter R hrl on a back road, and you shouldn't stop shifting just because an automatic is faster.

We don't buy sports cars to get to work quicker in the morning. We drive them for the experience.”
The following 4 users liked this post by Nico-derm:
4DRZ (08-17-2018), Lego_Maniac (08-18-2018), r2dmax (08-20-2018), Rochester (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 10:39 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Nico-derm
We don't buy sports cars to get to work quicker in the morning. We drive them for the experience.
Spot on.

It's been what... two weeks (?) since I've last driven my car because of the electrical issue. I'm actually a little pleased with myself at tamping down the urgency to get it fixed, focused on a whole host of other responsibilities and milestones. The plan now is to get my oldest off to college next week, before turning to whatever it takes to fix the G.

That said, I do really want to drive the car again. After six and a half years, I still adore driving my car.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:41 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Turns out the drive belt slipped off its pulley. It was an easy fix, and now I'm a hero, LOL.

I've tried a few electric mowers over the years, borrowed from friends, and didn't care for them. That said, the tech is improving at breakneck speed, so I'm sure there's an electric mower in my future someday.
Glad it was an easy fix. I agree that there are not a lot of good electric mowers out there. It took me a while to find the one I have. My issue was I have a pretty big back yard and most of them come with one battery good for 20 or maybe even 30 min. A lot of them also do not have a lot of power as they are based on 28-32V systems. The one I got has 2 45min batteries and 82V. Surprisingly more power than the gas mower I used to have. I can even get batteries with twice the power if I need them, but I have never even been close to running out.

Anyway, lets get back to cars... Nico- I like that article
Old 08-18-2018, 12:23 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Thanks. That's kind to say.

Picked up a multi-meter yesterday, to see if the wiring from the clutch position harness clip is properly powered. Other than that, I'm just processing in my head the logistics of getting the car to the dealership, and trying not to go into full-on Crisis Mode about it, because we still have two other functioning cars, and I work at home, blah blah blah. Point being, I don't want to give in to the typical fix-my-car-at-all-costs state of mind. Trying to de-prioritize it.

Easier said than done. Fortunately, I can be really lazy about certain projects. And I happen to have another homeowner project going on, as well as a lawnmower that just died, which is something that has to get fixed before the next mow. (sigh)
If it comes down to it, you might look at a mobile mechanic if you can find a reputable one locally. Avoid the towing issues.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (08-18-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 02:55 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Made an appointment for next Thursday with my mechanic. If I can push the car out of my garage, and pop the clutch down the driveway, then I'll be driving it there. If that fails, I'm going to have to make arrangements for a tow. Once there: starter, serpentine belt, lower PS hose replacement, PS fluid swap, and a transmission fluid swap.

It will be nice to drive my G again someday. I miss driving it.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:44 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Nice list of maintenance items you've got going on there, John. Good luck getting the car started and over to your mechanic.
Rochester (08-30-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 01:58 PM
SomeName
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Out of curiosity, how confident are you that the starter is the problem?
Old 09-01-2018, 05:04 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by SomeName
Out of curiosity, how confident are you that the starter is the problem?

guess i'll find out next week.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:49 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Prepared to pop the clutch this morning, and prepared to call for a flat-bed tow if that didn't work... the starter actually engaged this morning and the car started right up. First time in 5 weeks. So I drove it to the mechanic's and got it up on the lift. Odds are I'll be getting a (reman) starter, along with the other stuff I mentioned. It's bittersweet. On the one hand, I avoided a tow. But on the other hand, I can't repeat the failure. The car started a dozen times over while on the lift.

Either way, it was a joy to actually drive it again. I missed how much power is available from this car.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:18 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts

Either way, it was a joy to actually drive it again. I missed how much power is available from this car.
this is how I feel every Monday when I fire up my G after driving my wifes Honda in ecomode all weekend...

Great to hear that you got your car going again! Fingers crossed that its all sorted now

One good thing about not driving it for a while is the fresh feel it has on its own that keeps the mod-bug at bay, at least for me anyways
Rochester (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 04:03 PM
Rochester
Administrator

/done

New starter, and a few maintenance items (serp belt, PS fluid, tranny gear oil).

Finally.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:07 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Great news! I bet your glad to be back behind the wheel! Hopefully the new starter fixes your problem for good.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:30 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Driving my car again, and twice now I've had this thought while driving that the steering was different. That it was more stable to the touch, if that makes any sense. Like it's thicker, but in a more controlled, linear sort of way. (Lame language here, but it's all I got.) Anyway, both times I'm reminded that, well... I did just have the PS fluid swapped. And that's the original fluid from 7 years ago, and almost 40k miles.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-09-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:57 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Driving my car again, and twice now I've had this thought while driving that the steering was different.

... I did just have the PS fluid swapped. And that's the original fluid from 7 years ago, and almost 40k miles.

This doesn't surprise me. I've changed the power steering fluid in my car twice now... Once at 30K miles and then again just recently at 60K miles and both times there was a significant improvement in overall steering feel, so much so that I'm planning to try and replace it after 15K or 20K miles this time around. I think we just don't notice that the steering has degraded over time since it happens so gradually over many miles and sometimes several years.
Rochester (09-10-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 10:00 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
That's interesting that you noticed a difference in steering feel with new fluid. Then again, my car was only about 2 years old when I swapped the fluid.

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G