Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 11:59 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Be careful with lightened flywheels if you go that route eventually. I looked into those when my local Infiniti store replaced my CSC under warranty and had the transmission out of the car. Everyone I talked to said that the lightened flywheels definitely revved faster, but were very noisy and added lots of NVH. One guy likened it to having a cement mixer in your transmission when parked at lights. I think that part is where I draw the line from daily driver to track special and this car is not the best track special.
Yep. That's the primary concern, the NVH of a single-mass flywheel. It's kind of where I draw the line on a DD. But the thing is, it's not really a DD... it's become more of a hobby car. Derpa-derp.

The only reason I'm thinking along these lines is the future potential of dropping the transmission for the CSC elimination kit. However, installing that kit doesn't mean dismantling the entire transmission, just means accessing the CSC.

I've a friend with a '03 G35S Sedan 6MT... it's supercharged and has a lightweight flywheel with an upgraded clutch. Driving that car is a positively brutal experience. It's a rush, for sure, but exhausting and somewhat violent.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:19 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Can you speak to the amount of NVH in that car he thinks is caused by the lightened flywheel and which flywheel he has?

I just took another look at this on the Z1 site and they now make a midweight flywheel (21 lbs. vs. 14.5 lbs) that is supposed to bring less NVH, but still improve throttle response. That might be a good option. If you get it along with a new clutch and CSC elimination kit, then the CSC kit drops to $388 as opposed to $450-ish. So you could save some $$$ that way too.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:59 PM
Crusher103
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Be careful with lightened flywheels if you go that route eventually. I looked into those when my local Infiniti store replaced my CSC under warranty and had the transmission out of the car. Everyone I talked to said that the lightened flywheels definitely revved faster, but were very noisy and added lots of NVH. One guy likened it to having a cement mixer in your transmission when parked at lights. I think that part is where I draw the line from daily driver to track special and this car is not the best track special.
From what i have read, the midwieght flywheel does not chatter as much which is like a 21lbs flywheel or something of that nature. that is what i want to do when i upgrade the flywheel. Seems also a heavier weight gear oil will reduce the noise, although shifting might take a little more effort. My gearbox is so cranky when its cold. For like 2-3 mins until it gets some heat into it forget about 1st gear.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:23 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Can you speak to the amount of NVH in that car he thinks is caused by the lightened flywheel and which flywheel he has?
It was a Fidanza flywheel, and a Stage 1 Exedy Organic disc.

Originally Posted by Crusher103
Seems also a heavier weight gear oil will reduce the noise, although shifting might take a little more effort. My gearbox is so cranky when its cold. For like 2-3 mins until it gets some heat into it forget about 1st gear.
I've been using Redline MT-85, and I don't have that problem ever, even in the winter. And that's with a TWM STS.

Old 11-02-2018, 11:09 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Car goes in the shop next Wednesday for that new Clutch Master Cylinder install. Pushing 3 weeks now since I've driven the car, and I'm feeling more than a little self-conscious about it. Took me a while to find a new mechanic, and rolling the dice with a new shop. It's a street/pro shop with more street than pro, but still... they do both. And the mechanic doing the work is familiar with Nissan/Infiniti and a Certified Nissan Tech, so that's something.

Knock on wood.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:55 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
fingers crossed good luck
Old 11-05-2018, 07:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hashim
fingers crossed good luck
Thanks, Hashim.

Been three weeks now since I've driven the car, and this evening I was out in the garage dismantling the plastics around the brake and clutch MC, in prep for Wednesday. Just had one of those moments there where I was thinking, "OMG, this is an awesome car!" It really is. The mods suit this car so freaking well. The gears, the exhaust, all the aftermarket mods on this car matched to what is a fantastic sport sedan already right from the factory.

Almost seven years later, and this car still inspires me. Just need to get it fixed again is all.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:00 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Back from the shop. Not what I expected, but here's the fix described in my old RJM thread:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...ml#post4220331

Last edited by Rochester; 11-08-2018 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:22 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Sometime maybe 10 years ago, I had these vinyl decals cut special by a friend online who was cutting my 4DSC decals. The idea was to put my screen name on the rear window of my old Maxima, on the inside of the glass. Turns out I didn't like the look, and didn't do it. (At least I don't think I did... I honestly can't recall.) But I kept these two extra decals all this time, because it's hard to throw crap like that away. They were unassuming, using the same Goodtimes Font that was the basis for elements of the 4DSC decal. Four inches in length, in matte silver.

So I've had this idea for a while, wondering how that would look under the hood. More specifically, on the hood itself, on the underside. Would the decal hold up to the heat? Would the adhesive hold up over time? Would it look really, really stupid? All good questions.

Honestly, I think it looks pretty good. And obviously, this is an inside-window sticker, so it's backwards, like in a mirror. But that's ok, this is just a test run.

To see how it would look otherwise, look at it with a mirror.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:41 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Post a picture of the decal?

I was thinking it might melt or discolour but you might be able to mitigate the effects of heat by spraying a clear cost of high heat paint over it ...something like caliper or engine clearcoat paint

The backwards thing might make it a bit odd though as if anyone was looking at it under the hood they would be looking at the car stopped and head on not through a rearview mirror or anything
Old 11-08-2018, 09:54 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Post a picture of the decal?
I did, it's right there. Come back later, and you'll probably see it. Like most every web server, sometimes there are issues, hic-cups, downtime, etc. with my web host, where I put those image files. I'm not complaining, because about 10 years ago they simply stopped charging me for hosting services.

I was thinking it might melt or discolour but you might be able to mitigate the effects of heat by spraying a clear cost of high heat paint over it ...something like caliper or engine clearcoat paint
Great idea! I hadn't thought of that.

You can see in that pic how the paper on the decal has faded over the last 10 years. It's an old decal.

The backwards thing might make it a bit odd though as if anyone was looking at it under the hood they would be looking at the car stopped and head on not through a rearview mirror or anything
LOL, Hashim.. The decal as it stands right now is just proof-of-concept, to gauge the dimensions, fitment, appearance and durability. If it works out, by Springtime I'm sure to find someone to cut me a new one that's forward facing.

Last edited by Rochester; 11-08-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:26 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

lol, oh pics are working now

Gotcha on the proof of concept, the decal actually looks much better than I was imagining, the font and the subtle color contrast against the hood really does it,...if you are getting it recut anyways ask them to do it in the high temp vinyl like they use for the caliper decals, I don't think its more expensive just matter of material selection, I would still clear coat it with a bit of high temp clear to make cleaning easier
Old 11-08-2018, 10:39 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Gotcha on the proof of concept, the decal actually looks much better than I was imagining, the font and the subtle color contrast against the hood really does it,...if you are getting it recut anyways ask them to do it in the high temp vinyl like they use for the caliper decals, I don't think its more expensive just matter of material selection, I would still clear coat it with a bit of high temp clear to make cleaning easier
See, now I didn't even know there was such as thing as high-temp vinyl for decals. Cool. I'll remember that, for sure.

And yes, just proof of concept. The idea is to just be a little detail, nothing obvious or tacky. And being my SN, it's personal, and accurate on the map for now.

Spoiler

Last edited by Rochester; 03-10-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:03 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
So what's your reasoning for removing the sound deadening material under the hood? I did the same thing, but now I forget why. Hmmm.... Oh, I remember- it was to check to see if I could cut in hood vents.

Anyway, I had two track cars that I mirrored stickers down both sides of the inside of the hood from all the companies that I had parts from on the cars. Neither set of stickers saw so much as fading from the heat so you shouldn't have to worry about high temp vinyl or some sort of high temp coating. The original idea was to keep the cars sleepers on the outside, but then have the branding under the hood. It also greatly reduced the amount of times I was at a track day and got asked, "Hey man, did you do anything to your car." Although the last track day I was at with the hood up to let the engine cool a guy looked at the chrome Z1 intakes and said, "Aw cool, twin turbos. No wonder this car's so fast." Nope.

I have been contemplating doing the same thing to my G now that the stickers are starting to pile up. Speaking of parts stickers piling up, the other day I made the mistake of adding up the cost of all the parts on my car because another friend was interested in buying the car and wanted to know. Don't ever do this. I quickly discovered that I could have used all that money to buy a brand new Sentra!?!
Old 11-12-2018, 09:16 PM
Rochester
Administrator

The sound deadening material was removed five years ago, after installing the R2C Intake kit. I wanted to hear that intake howl better. Plus, it was scuffing up my FSTB, and I wasn't going to stand for that, LOL.

I track all my automotive expenses, from parts, repairs, labor, wheels, tires, fluids, etc. Everything except insurance and gas, since the day I bought it. So far I've dumped $22k into this car, above and beyond the selling price and the interest on the loan. I know that might seem like a crazy amount, but if you spread it over 7 years, it actually makes sense.

I also put all my race-me stickers under the hood of my old Maxima. I've got a favorite old pic somewhere... here:

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G