Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 08:19 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Nothing but repairs and maintenance throughout 2018. Pretty boring, but I promised the family no mods this year, so all my hobby energy got directed into this crap.

New swaybar bushings
Brake fluid flush & fill
Power Steering fluid drain and fill
Power Steering hose replacement
Transmission gear oil drain and fill
Coolant fluid flush & fill
Clutch fluid flush & fill
Serpentine belt replacement
Rear dampers replacement
New clutch position sensor
New Starter

Last edited by Rochester; 09-12-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:20 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
That's interesting that you noticed a difference in steering feel with new fluid. Then again, my car was only about 2 years old when I swapped the fluid.
Mine was a night and day difference this past fluid change, although my fluid was probably around 5 years old with around 30K miles on it.

Originally Posted by Rochester
Nothing but repairs and maintenance throughout 2018. Pretty boring, but I promised the family no mods this year, so all my hobby energy got directed into this crap.

New swaybar bushings
Brake fluid flush & fill
Rear dampers replacement
New Starter
Nice list of maintenance items you've got going there. Spending $ on these sorts of things probably doesn't seem like much fun, but it should be reassuring to know you'll have all of these maintenance items taken care of and out of the way so you can concentrate on more fun mods next!
Old 09-12-2018, 01:19 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

New swaybar bushings
Brake fluid flush & fill
Rear dampers replacement
New Starter
Well look at it this way, in a few months you can start doing performance upgrades since 2019 is just around the corner.

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Mine was a night and day difference this past fluid change, although my fluid was probably around 5 years old with around 30K miles on it.
Crazy. So how does it feel different? Less effort?
Old 09-13-2018, 04:16 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Crazy. So how does it feel different? Less effort?
Not really less effort but I guess I would describe it as a bit tighter and more linear feeling... less loose. The fluid change also eliminated the tiny bit of power steering noise (hum) I was getting when turning full lock at very low speeds, which was probably a bit of cavitation in the pump.

The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (09-14-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 04:40 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Not really less effort but I guess I would describe it as a bit tighter and more linear feeling... less loose.
Yes! Exactly what I'm experiencing, too. Drove the car around a lot today, and throughout I was keenly aware how much better the steering was. Heck of a lesson learned. I'm definitely going to swap PS fluid again two years from now, and stick to a 2-3 year schedule on the wife's car.

BTW, over in 4DRZ's "next car" thread, I review the Porsche Mecan S after a little test-drive today.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ml#post4214195
Old 10-04-2018, 03:43 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Been a full month since getting the replacement starter installed. Car continues to start each and every time... thank goodness.

In other news, since I felt the Mecan sucked (IMO), I didn't have high hopes for the Alfa Romeo Stelvio, but decided to take it for a test drive anyway. Turns out it was awesome! I loved it! The Stelvio might be that elusive creature, the "Driver's SUV".

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ml#post4215915

Last edited by Rochester; 10-04-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:02 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Does it also have brake by wire like the Giulia?
Old 10-04-2018, 06:32 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by hexotic
Does it also have brake by wire like the Giulia?
IDK. I didn't actually like the brakes... way-y-y too grabby and disconnected. So yeah, probably. Steering was great, though. Although maybe it was the steering wheel I was digging more than the steering itself. The steering wheel was excellent.

Brake performance aside, the big 4-piston calipers sure are nice looking. And you can choose your color: red, yellow, black or silver. I don't think anybody else does that, giving you color options on the brake calipers. However, the rears, while also painted, they aren't polished like our Akebono brakes. I hate it when companies do that.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-04-2018 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:43 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
That was the one negative thing I kept hearing about the Giulia. Because they had to do a last minute redesign after small overlap crash tests cut the feet off all the dummies, the brakes now feel numb and artificial.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:38 PM
inq

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sweet

Looking very nicely modded, I'm from CT. Perhaps I'll see you Rollin around lol
Old 10-21-2018, 08:45 PM
Crusher103
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

'Chester don't think i have forgotten about you sweatpea.

Your 37 is still clean as always i see.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:53 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Bought a replacement Clutch Master Cylinder, $109 shipped from ZSpeed. This unit is for the 370Z. Seems there's a difference, where the G's version of this part has a vibration damper. I'm going to go with this one, it's less expensive and I've got a sense that it's preferred. Either way, my car has been dead (again) in my garage. This time I've got clutch problems.

Originally Posted by Crusher103
'Chester don't think i have forgotten about you sweatpea.

Your 37 is still clean as always i see.
Hi, Crusher. Thanks for the compliment. Haven't seen your name in a long time.

Here's a pic for you, buddy. Don't stare too closely at that red rocket.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:35 PM
Crusher103
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
The clutch pedal in mine went dead too at random one day. Funny part is in my car's history at 55k its entire transmission, clutch everything was replaced under warranty. I bought all the replacement parts then magically it came back, i have not done anything to the car since and the clutch is still working. So pretty soon i might have a FS thread for the clutch i bought since i was in a rush i did not buy the clutch i wanted and just the one i could afford with a new HD CSC and all the other crap i needed. But I'll budget for a clutch replacement and do all that stuff at the same time with a new rear main seal, new flywheel, clutch line etc.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:34 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Crusher103
The clutch pedal in mine went dead too at random one day. Funny part is in my car's history at 55k its entire transmission, clutch everything was replaced under warranty. I bought all the replacement parts then magically it came back, i have not done anything to the car since and the clutch is still working. So pretty soon i might have a FS thread for the clutch i bought since i was in a rush i did not buy the clutch i wanted and just the one i could afford with a new HD CSC and all the other crap i needed. But I'll budget for a clutch replacement and do all that stuff at the same time with a new rear main seal, new flywheel, clutch line etc.
Interesting. Lots of stories like this online about the G/Z clutch hydraulics. Granted, the online world magnifies the perception of the problem, and the actual repair stats are probably low, but when it happens to you personally it's little comfort knowing your experience is an anomaly.

I'm seriously thinking about buying the ZSpeed CSC elimination kit next year, then set it aside for install the year after. And doing that cracks open the door to replacing the clutch & flywheel with aftermarket upgrades. That was never on my list of future mods, but never say never.
The following users liked this post:
Calg37USMC (10-23-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 11:47 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Be careful with lightened flywheels if you go that route eventually. I looked into those when my local Infiniti store replaced my CSC under warranty and had the transmission out of the car. Everyone I talked to said that the lightened flywheels definitely revved faster, but were very noisy and added lots of NVH. One guy likened it to having a cement mixer in your transmission when parked at lights. I think that part is where I draw the line from daily driver to track special and this car is not the best track special.

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G