Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Old 08-15-2013, 12:36 AM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
John,
Looks like things are coming together very nicely...love what you have done so far!

I'm considering removing the hood liner myself, since the GT-SPEC FSTB does slightly rub against it from time to time...plus some additional "growl" can't hurt either.
Not sure how much of a difference it would be due to mine being enclosed within the stock air boxes.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 06:56 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,569 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Not that I'm the Devil's Advocate or anything, but...

Newt, you already have an aftermarket cat-back as well as that Injen intake, so I think you'd be adding only a little bit of noise to an already loud(ish) car, and I don't know if you'd notice anything. And Dragion, you have neither of these things, so its likely the added engine noise you hear is more mechanical than otherwise, IYKWIM.

But here's the larger point: you can always just put it back on. And you're in no rush to do so, because it's not something critical that you're playing with here.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:30 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

Newt, you already have an aftermarket cat-back as well as that Injen intake, so I think you'd be adding only a little bit of noise to an already loud(ish) car, and I don't know if you'd notice anything. And Dragion, you have neither of these things, so its likely the added engine noise you hear is more mechanical than otherwise, IYKWIM.

But here's the larger point: you can always just put it back on. And you're in no rush to do so, because it's not something critical that you're playing with here.
So true, I've taken enough off the car at one time or another, what's one more piece

BTW, where did you get the oil & radiator caps?
Old 08-15-2013, 08:45 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt
So true, I've taken enough off the car at one time or another, what's one more piece

BTW, where did you get the oil & radiator caps?
Search "vms radiator cap cover" in eBay. The center logo is screen-printed directly on the cover, and has kind of stupid wording. For a while I had a vinyl sticker over it to cover things, but after a few months that failed with heat, so I took it off. I'd really like to remove the lettering, but am also kind of lazy about it.

Search "nismo oil cap billet gunmetal" in eBay. The center logo is just a sticker that comes separately in the package. You don't have to use it. (I didn't.)

blnewt (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 05:13 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
And Dragion, you have neither of these things, so its likely the added engine noise you hear is more mechanical than otherwise, IYKWIM.

There is a difference in intake sound with my Mishimoto/aFe set up...definitely louder & deeper than stock.
I was told both from my friend and from a member on this site that the "sound" of the air being pulled was more pronounced.

I just thought by removing the hood liner it could improve the note & prevent additional contact on the STB.
LilRocket (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 05:52 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by dragion
I just thought by removing the hood liner it could improve the note & prevent additional contact on the STB.
For your G, I would say probably and definitely, respective to each.

It's nice to open the hood and not see a single blemish on the FSTB. You know, I burned through a lot of elbow grease polishing the logo and clear-coat off that bar, and it really sucked to see it scuffed up every time I opened the hood. But not anymore. And on top of that, I no longer obsess over the fitment of the bar against the engine cover.

Total win for me. I put the hood liner in the attic.
dragion (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 08:29 PM
LilRocket

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Rochester that intake looks marvelous !!!! I'm definitely considering this mod in the future. Glad to see a positive review of it from you. Enjoy it
Rochester (08-15-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 04:14 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Been a while since I took pictures on a nice day, after washing the car. Just in the driveway and on the street... nothing fancy.

Although every time I do stuff like this I'm reminded how badly I want a new camera. Grumble, grumble... pics.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
dragion (08-18-2013), LilRocket (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 04:59 PM
WhiteKnight23

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
awesome looking car man! I just recently got myself a 2013 G Sedan AWD (Non-S) but i love it and wasnt worth the extra money for the S when it is completely the same car without the other sporty accessories. Anyways, I also have a Moonlight white and love it. I am thinking about doing the rear diffuser as well like how you did it but with plastidip. Im also in a dilemma about whether i should add the rear spoiler or not. Any thoughts on how you like yours?
Old 08-18-2013, 05:09 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight23
love it and wasnt worth the extra money for the S when it is completely the same car without the other sporty accessories.
What? LOL no, the RWD Sport package on the G37 was one of the best deals around for a sport sedan. The sum of the parts was worth far more than the package upgrade.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-18-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:38 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
I think the photos are great, tho I'm no authority on the subject.

Car looks great, I think I originally bashed the rear valance, but now I really like it.
Only things I'm not a fan of is the mismatched window tint (would look better without it than 50/50 IMO) and the butterscotch fogs, but they also play into the uniqueness, so I can appreciate that
Rochester (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 07:08 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by STownSaint
I think the photos are great, tho I'm no authority on the subject.

Car looks great, I think I originally bashed the rear valance, but now I really like it.
Only things I'm not a fan of is the mismatched window tint (would look better without it than 50/50 IMO) and the butterscotch fogs, but they also play into the uniqueness, so I can appreciate that
Thank, Saint. The rear valance area wrap has some flaws that bug me, but it's good enough for now that other priorities get first in line. Overall, I like it, too.

I understand about the tint. It's a little unusual just tinting the back half of the car, but I rather like that unique look. It's kind of VIP, although if ever it's only my 9 year old in the backseat.

Butterscotch! LOL That's the first time I've heard that description.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:44 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Great shots of that immaculate ride
It sure looks like a nice neighborhood w/ houses that actually have some interesting charm, looks like a great place to raise a family.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:18 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Rochester,

Great look on the car. I love the black rear valance and the white/black grill treatment. Any thoughts on the chrome around the windows?

My new 6MT is Graphite Shadow and chrome looks okay with that color. Some guys have blacked out the window trim and grill. I'll probably do the grill at least. To me it looks kind of funny to have the lower grill in black and the upper in all chrome.

Greg
Old 08-18-2013, 09:30 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Rochester,

One more question looking at your pictures. I'm sure you already said somewhere in this thread ... but you have stock exhaust, correct? What did you do with the tips?

Greg

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rochester's new G