Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 08:12 PM
alfredo24pr

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Never said you were crazy, Alfredo. But IIRC, I did say that I expected to have a different opinion.

Guess not.

GoFightNguyen is right, now I'm wanting to do the cat-back before the gears. So that's the plan, 2015.
I know you never said that, but I thought I was crazy for barely noticing a change.

But don't worry, you will love it paired up with a catback.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:25 PM
rm2342

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
I had FI Resonated Cats installed this morning. No pics of the installation, no videos, but there is a picture of them on my living room floor a few pages back, if you want to see them.

They were installed against the OEM shorty headers, and the OEM catback. So this work was just for the cats. Nothing else. The reason I went with FI was for quality reputation and their J-Bung design to spoof the O2 Sensors. But also because FI is the only one making a resonated cat, and I've come to the interwebz opinion that if you want to avoid rasp in an aftermarket exhaust consisting of HFC and Catback, then the FI Resonated High-flow Cats are the way to go. In other words, I'm future proofing my exhaust upgrade down the line, for whatever exhaust I decide to go with. (And at this point, it's looking like ARK.)

Installation

The install was a b1tch. Although more so for my mechanic, because I didn't do the work. For whatever reason, one bolt on each cat got stripped, between the cats and the headers. In the end, they had to cut off the corner on the cat flange with the torch. Total PITA, but there was no collateral damage, and no damage to the header flange. Once the OEM cats were finally off, the new ones went right on easy.

Vibration

At idle, there's a noticeable vibration under my seat that wasn't there before. I suspect it has to do with that cross-piece that the OEM cats were connected to, and is no longer applicable to the new ones. It's not an unpleasant vibration, and it goes away outside of idle, but still... he might fabricate and weld the cross-piece to fit at some future point. At this time, don't care. Other than that, no changes, no issues.

Sound

At idle, the car is just a little bit louder, but that really depends on the surrounding location... on the road, in a parking lot, in my garage. There's a difference at idle, but it's barely perceptible. When driving normally, the exhaust tone seems completely unchanged. When driving hard, the exhaust is noticeably louder, particularly at WOT. But it's hard to distinguish between exhaust sound and intake noise, because intake. All in all, unless you were to drive my car before/after, you'd be hard pressed to notice the mod.

Some would say that's perfect, but honestly, I'm a bit disappointed. I like noise, and this isn't it.

Gains

Alfredo's got the build thread where he dyno'd after every mod, and he saw significant un-tuned gains after adding the RHFC. My butt-dyno totally agrees with that, because there is a lot more grunt going on here. When you pull hard in 1st and 2nd gear, it pulls more and it does it longer. And when you go WOT on the highway, ripping 3rd gear to red-line... well, there's just more there than there was before.

Years of hanging out on this forum had led me to the conclusion that cats are the most significant bottleneck on these cars. Now that I've replaced mine, while retaining the stock cat-back, I completely stand by that opinion.

Final Assessment
  • Pretty expensive mod, adding together the cost of the cats and a shop-installation. Particularly when there are problems (like stripped bolts.)
  • A little more vibration at idle, that we can probably correct.
  • Virtually no-change at all in tone and volume, except at WOT.
  • A small but noticeable amount of improved throttle response, likely from an increase in torque. And a very nice increase in how much and how long the car pulls at WOT.

So I'm happy about the added grunt, because it was more than I expected. But I'm very disappointed in the lack of exhaust noise, because it's much less than I expected. Right now I'm trying to reconcile reality with my expectations, and writing this stuff down helps with that.

The big mod for 2015 was supposed to be 4.083 gears, but now I'm thinking cat-back, just because I really want to hear my exhaust.

/review
Can you take a series of vids inside and outside for others?

It seems strange the overall volume wouldn't increase when the largest restriction has been removed.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:26 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by rm2342
Can you take a series of vids inside and outside for others?

It seems strange the overall volume wouldn't increase when the largest restriction has been removed.
No point unless I could put them side by side as before/after videos.

I feel with your skepticism. Surprised me too. Maybe there's more nuance to appreciate after a while... It's just Day One, after all. But I suspect itis what it is.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:42 PM
rm2342

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Maybe it is the fact that they are resonated . I would still be interested if you are willing to put a take off shot or two even without the stock comparison just to judge the overall sound and quality.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:46 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Nice review John, that install seems pretty typical, that one of those projects that seems to snag everyone that tries it in one way or another. One reason why I'm not in a big hurry to do this one.
So dead on about the OEM exhaust, it's one big fraud~the back tips look like they might mean business but it's just one big restriction
BTW how many hours was the install? (if you posted it I missed it )
Old 03-17-2014, 10:19 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt
BTW how many hours was the install? (if you posted it I missed it )
They started the work thinking it could all be done from underneath, but eventually I had to remove the intakes for access from up top. Which meant removing the engine cover for access to the rear couplings, which means removing the FSTB. Dominoes... LOL

With the problem of the stripped bolts, the job took a little over two hours, two mechanics, a lift, an acetylene torch, a box of donuts, two pots of coffee...
Old 03-18-2014, 08:05 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Nice about he RHFC, I loved mine .I will get them again and you did pick up power it the midrange I pick up a lot in there unturned on mine also, I made more than when I was tuned with the stock cats. How does it sound with the stock system?
Old 03-18-2014, 08:31 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
How does it sound with the stock system?
It sounds pretty much like it did before.

Based on my experience with this, I'm saying Resonated HFC's from Fast Intentions, as installed on the stock cat-back, are a noticeable power mod, but without added noise of any appreciable measure. For some people, that's a very good thing. For others, it's disappointing.

Of course, I also have intake noise compromising that assessment, so take it for what it's worth... just another forum opinion.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:06 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 748 Likes on 356 Posts
The OEM catback is probably over-designed. It's been a while, but I remember having to work the throttle pretty hard to get the kind of thrum I was looking for. More air doesn't necessarily mean you get more sound. Whatever engine sound you produce is going to have to go through the OEM catback resonators regardless, you've just added one more resonator to the mix.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:56 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Nice write up Rochester. The sound will increase a bit and get more throatier as the cats break in. I'd suggest Tanabe exhaust for you. They have plenty of growl even @ idle, then @ WOT you WILL hear the exhaust over the intake.
I believe you will start to notice a funny idle as well. While sitting at a light you'll probably see your revs jump around a bit. My tune completely fixed that problem for me. I had an odd vibration as well after installing the cats. That disappeared with the tune too. Hope you figure out what's best for your liking, and you get those rims on soon!
Old 03-18-2014, 12:57 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Very extensive review John! Glad to see you were still happy about your purchase and installation, even after discussing what your outcome was and what you were expecting.

I'd like more information if you end up having some sort of support bracket fabricated for the HFCs. I talked to my tech about this also and he mentioned making something for this. If you beat me to it, I'd like to hear about the design and results.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:55 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by connoisseurr
I'd like more information if you end up having some sort of support bracket fabricated for the HFCs. I talked to my tech about this also and he mentioned making something for this. If you beat me to it, I'd like to hear about the design and results.
If I pursue this later this spring/summer, I'll be sure to bump this thread with information. After driving around today (Day 2), I started thinking how that vibration at idle will quickly become the new normal, and I may either forget or ignore the idea of fixing it. IDK, really. Need more time to see what happens and how much it matters to me in a few months. As of yesterday morning, it really mattered. But just one day later, not so much. Funny how that happens.

Let's compare at the meet-up next month.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-18-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:42 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
If I pursue this later this spring/summer, I'll be sure to bump this thread with information. After driving around today (Day 2), I started thinking how that vibration at idle will quickly become the new normal, and I may either forget or ignore the idea of fixing it. IDK, really. Need more time to see what happens and how much it matters to me in a few months. As of yesterday morning, it really mattered. But just one day later, not so much. Funny how that happens.

I've slowly started not noticing the vibration but I'm sure others feel it in the seats. I would like to find a solution to remedy this just because I'm OCD about things like this. I will see how it feels once I add in my FI exhaust this weekend or next weekend.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:31 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts

That little vibration became a real PITA for me. It made the left fog light lense start to rattle and it could be heard in the car while stopped. A bit of cardboard shimming stopped the rattle but the tune solved the problem completely.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:46 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by warped ideas
...but the tune solved the problem completely.
Why? Did you increase your idle speed with the tune? Because I found just a tick over stock idle RPM and the vibration goes away.

Hmm... I'm thinking the AT in gear but at a dead stop is a different experience than my 6MT at a dead stop with the clutch in. So apples to apples, you're talking about when the car is in PARK or NEUTRAL, right?

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G