Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 08:13 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
You've got that guy that did a great job on your grill and color matched the white real well, he could probably do the same for your motor cover, and just the part that you currently have painted orange could be white, you could do the sanding and finish it up w/ that painter to match the white. IMO that would really go well w/ your bay. You could even do the Infiniti emblem the same color as your oil cap or one of your other smaller accents in your bay for a bit of contrast. That white bay looks the best of any Infiniti color, just shows up so much better than dark car paint.
Yes, he did do a great job on the grille, but no, he didn't color match it well. Moonlight white is a PITA, and the grille is far from being perfectly matched. As with 99% of custom mods, it's just another compromise. (I'm getting used to that reconciliation, LOL)

I was thinking next year I may get Stillen's rear roof wing, and at that time have this engine cover (or a new one) painted OEM moonlight white like you're suggesting... Since the paint is mixed and all.

I'm done with mods for 2013. Winter is only a few months away, and I've done enough stuff for one year as it is. Time to sit back and start collecting some unmissed money for next Spring. I really, really want a pair if FI RHFCs next spring. Even more so after yesterday, when my buddy showed up with his brand new Subby STI with the sport exhaust. (Sigh) I need more exhaust rumble. I really do.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-08-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:30 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Yes, he did do a great job on the grille, but no, he didn't color match it well. Moonlight white is a PITA, and the grille is far from being perfectly matched. As with 99% of custom mods, it's just another compromise. (I'm getting used to that reconciliation, LOL)

I was thinking next year I may get Stillen's rear roof wing, and at that time have this engine cover (or a new one) painted OEM moonlight white like you're suggesting... Since the paint is mixed and all.

I'm done with mods for 2013. Winter is only a few months away, and I've done enough stuff for one year as it is. Time to sit back and start collecting some unmissed money for next Spring. I really, really want a pair if FI RHFCs next spring. Even more so after yesterday, when my buddy showed up with his brand new Subby STI with the sport exhaust. (Sigh) I need more exhaust rumble. I really do.
Sounds like a plan
I'm sure the paint match is tougher w/ that misty metallic finish, but looks nice from the pics you posted. Look forward to your next additions in the Spring, enjoy your mod hibernation in the mean time
Old 09-17-2013, 01:53 PM
ZenZiglar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey Rochester, I'm still waiting for you to say you're lowering.

I've been away for a while. Welcoming myself back.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by ZenZiglar
Hey Rochester, I'm still waiting for you to say you're lowering.
While I'm fond of saying, "Never say never", I would still advise you to get used to disappointment.

There are so many other priorities that come before something I don't even care about anyway.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-17-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:08 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Will look forward to hearing your feedback on the FI RHFC's on the stock exhaust. I've been seriously debating those myself. It'll either be that or the Invidia catback for me.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:32 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by BLamb
Will look forward to hearing your feedback on the FI RHFC's on the stock exhaust.
Me too.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:09 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Here's a new picture, intentionally drawing attention to the amber/orange theme going on from the fogs, through the side markers and the engine cover.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:07 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Here's a new picture, intentionally drawing attention to the amber/orange theme going on from the fogs, through the side markers and the engine cover.

Looking great, now if you're sticking w/ the theme of your engine cover your calipers are screaming for this treatment~
Old 09-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Yes! That color mod on the BBK calipers is something I've been thinking about for a long time. Although I've still not looked into it enough to make it happen, except to be sure I wouldn't DIY this. That means networking and pricing, etc.

But yes, calipers. You're absolutely right. Time I actually put this on the list, instead of just bring it up once in a while. Thanks for the pic, Brad. However, I don't find a lot of appeal in that high-gloss orange... more interested in a satin metallic. Something softer.

Hmm, expensive, 2-piece rotors... not so much on my list. Although my next rotors will likely be slotted, just because.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-21-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:34 AM
2lo4dsno

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very sweet indeed.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:10 PM
zero2sixtyZ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey, buddy. You stalking me now? LOL! Figure you'd be ripping it up on the Bimmer forums with that 335i Coupe.

For background, zero2sixty had one of the nicest modified 5.5 Gen Maxima's going, for many years on Maxima.org.
Haha, thanks for that intro. I figured you posted more excellent pics of the G here, so I didn't want to miss out.

Loving the orange theme in the engine bay. Looks great. +1 for matching calipers ... if you change the wheels. If not, the silver seems to play well with the OEM shoes.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Inspired by Schulminator's little mod on the window trim wrap, but only for the trim at the belt line, I ordered some 3M wrap with blnewt's advice, and am experimenting right now. Just did the passenger side, and think I'm going to drive around unbalanced for a while, to see how I like it. So far it's a go.

Here's newt's How-To: https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-g-sedans.html

And here's Schulminator's car:

Name:  DSC_0385_zpsf0ce0315.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  128.8 KB

And here's Frank Gorshin, LOL:

Name:  LastBat38.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  16.5 KB
Old 10-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I'm really going to have to live with this window trim for a while before committing to the other side. Which is fine, because the imbalance is bound to drive me nuts, so I'll have to do something one way or the other.

I'll say this for it, the gloss black vinyl is a perfect match for the B-pillars and the little half-window pillar in the back door. It's a clean look with the rear window tint. And it draws the eye nicely into the gloss black of the side-view mirror underside. Also, the 4DSC decals has more presence now, which isn't half bad.

Pics from this evening.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:50 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

I'm really going to have to live with this window trim for a while before committing to the other side. Which is fine, because the imbalance is bound to drive me nuts, so I'll have to do something one way or the other.

I'll say this for it, the gloss black vinyl is a perfect match for the B-pillars and the little half-window pillar in the back door. It's a clean look with the rear window tint. And it draws the eye nicely into the gloss black of the side-view mirror underside. Also, the 4DSC decals has more presence now, which isn't half bad.

Pics from this evening.

I like it, might help if you post a "virgin" side pic right below it for comparison, but looks good. Also since your back window is tinted you might think about one of these, I think they look pretty good and since it's at a high angle it's not too loud back there, and they have them in 4DSC silver too! I have one on my back window if you want to see how it looks.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/group-b...om-decals.html
Old 10-05-2013, 08:59 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt
I like it, might help if you post a "virgin" side pic right below it for comparison, but looks good. Also since your back window is tinted you might think about one of these, I think they look pretty good and since it's at a high angle it's not too loud back there, and they have them in 4DSC silver too! I have one on my back window if you want to see how it looks.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/group-b...om-decals.html
Thanks, brad. I'll take a virgin pick of the other side for comparison.

And I'm going to pass on the myg37 decals. They're kind of big, and... IDK, doesn't sit right with me for some reason. But thanks for the heads up, buddy.

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G