Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 12:58 PM
ZenZiglar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I participated in Autocross yesterday, with a friend who came down from Canada for the event. Clipped a few cones , got a little sunburned. and came in 6 out of 24 in Novice Class, which made me pretty happy. The Eibach Sway bars kept the car incredibly flat in the slaloms compared to last year, which totally validates their purchase, IMO.

Anyway, he took some pictures of the car that I like, so I thought I'd post them here.

Seeing the Mini next to you makes me curious. What cars were in the other top novice positions?

Have to say 6th is impressive! Good skills!
Old 07-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by ZenZiglar
Seeing the Mini next to you makes me curious. What cars were in the other top novice positions?
IDK. There was one Lotus Elise which was flawless on the track, and likely not a novice. And then there were the typical cars: Mini, Miata, Speed3, WRX and STI. As well as some old & new American muscle lumbering around the track like noisy dinosaurs. (Shelby Cobras, notwithstanding.) But in my opinion, the most impressive cars of the day were a pair of Subaru BRZ's. They went around the track so effortlessly, it was downright elegant; surely a combination of skill and car. Truly fantastic AutoX car, though.

I'll have to wait for web postings for more info, and even then I don't think they describe which cars are which.

Have to say 6th is impressive! Good skills!
Thanks! My friend from Canada took 1st in Novice class with a supercharged 2003 G35 6MT, on CO's with track-tires. He was actually a little bummed they classified him as novice, but overall happy with having won the class.

Truth be told, I wasn't even paying attention to times. I was just trying to stay on track and stay focused. AutoX is exciting, and a little unnerving unless you do it as a hobby. This is only my second time out in two years.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-01-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:30 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
I almost bought a BRZ a few months ago just because they were so fun to drive. Not the fastest car, but who cares. It looks great and drives great. Speed isn't everything in my book.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:31 PM
owslystnly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There was one Lotus Elise which was flawless on the track
Was it the orange one? When I did the novice school a few yrs ago, there was a guy with an orange elise (could have been an exige, can't remember)....and all he did was spin out. a lot. not flawless by any means.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by owslystnly
Was it the orange one? When I did the novice school a few yrs ago, there was a guy with an orange elise (could have been an exige, can't remember)....and all he did was spin out. a lot. not flawless by any means.
Andrew, I have no way of knowing if it was the same car, and won't even try defending or dissing some guy you saw in novice school a few years ago. However, if it was, and if he's been doing it for years now, you can only assume he's improved, yes?

What cars were in the other top novice positions?
I just checked the website, and although yesterday's event results aren't in yet, previous events do actually list make/model of the cars.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:21 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Sounds like a blast John, looks like you're picking it up pretty well too. Sure wish we had something like that around here, or within a reasonable drive
Old 07-01-2013, 02:47 PM
owslystnly

Andrew, I have no way of knowing if it was the same car, and won't even try defending or dissing some guy you saw in novice school a few years ago. However, if it was, and if he's been doing it for years now, you can only assume he's improved, yes?
Observations of current driving habits on roads might negate assumptions that drivers improve with time just was curious if same car
Old 07-01-2013, 10:26 PM
Puzzle Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Darn it Rochester! I just finished solving the puzzle you've been presenting everybody for a long, long time and was about to post my results and then you go and end the contest by revealing the answer to the world?? Garsh dang it!!

Will you be giving us another one soon?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:30 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Puzzle Master
Darn it Rochester! I just finished solving the puzzle you've been presenting everybody for a long, long time and was about to post my results and then you go and end the contest by revealing the answer to the world?? Garsh dang it!!
Will you be giving us another one soon?
Too funny, and this was your first post & your nic is Puzzle Master.
Are you sure this isn't an alias for "Rochester" ???
Old 07-01-2013, 11:55 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
I participated in Autocross yesterday, with a friend who came down from Canada for the event. Clipped a few cones , got a little sunburned. and came in 6 out of 24 in Novice Class, which made me pretty happy. The Eibach Sway bars kept the car incredibly flat in the slaloms compared to last year, which totally validates their purchase, IMO.

Anyway, he took some pictures of the car that I like, so I thought I'd post them here.

Thanks for sharing John!
She looks so pretty...and congrats on coming in 6th.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:45 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt
Too funny, and this was your first post & your nic is Puzzle Master.
Are you sure this isn't an alias for "Rochester" ???
No, that's legit. I'm not trolling myself. However, I am impressed, and even a little surprised that he went out of his way to host a copy of my photo for proof.

I don't know whether to feel complimented, or stalked.

Funny story about the blue tape on my tags that day. I heard a rumor (urban myth, probably) about insurance companies taking pictures of cars at public-access racing events like this. So I figured it took only an extra few seconds to tape my plates, since I had the tape out anyway. Well let me tell you, I caught **** from a lot of people who were wondering why I did that. It turned into a pretty big joke. Fortunately, I'm not so proud as to not laugh about it, and kind of deserved it anyway.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-02-2013 at 07:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (07-02-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 09:55 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Results: http://www.flr-scca.com/solo/2013/flr4_fin.pdf

My friend Matt (1st place Novice) and the 2nd place car were 5 seconds ahead of the rest... so not exactly novices. Anyway, here are the cars in order:

2003 G35 Sedan 6MT
1991 BMW 318
2008 Mini Cooper S
2006 Mazda Miata
2007 Cobalt SS
2011 G37 Sedan 6MT (me!)
2013 Shelby GT500
2011 Subaru WRX
2005 Subaru Legacy
1990 Mazda Miata
2005 Subary Legacy

...and so on.

The Cobalt SS was quick, but sounded like a broken clothes dryer. Really ridiculous.

Originally Posted by owslystnly
Observations of current driving habits on roads might negate assumptions that drivers improve with time just was curious if same car
Said Lotus came in first in Pro. And the 3 BRZ/FRS cars were dominating the track. The 1972 Chevelle? Not so much, LOL.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-04-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:03 PM
redsoxfan5
Registered Member

2007 Cobalt SS
Yeah, the old Sesame Street song "One of These Things is Not Like the Others" popped into my head when I saw the Cobalt in that list...
Old 07-04-2013, 03:30 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
^ actually, oddly enough, the Cobalt SS seems to be a proficient track car. it placed extremely high in C&D's Lightning Lap comparo a couple years back, easily winning its division and beating a few cars in higher divisions.

OP - great to see someone using our cars properly - actually driving them for real! i've done a track day and a 1/4 mile event and had a blast at both. good point about the insurance aspect, all tracks make it clear that insurance does not cover track use.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:39 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by canucklehead
^ actually, oddly enough, the Cobalt SS seems to be a proficient track car. it placed extremely high in C&D's Lightning Lap comparo a couple years back, easily winning its division and beating a few cars in higher divisions.
The Cobalt SS is a tough little car, and penty fast. I don't disparage it for not being a somewhat worthy car for its class of cheap pocket-rockets. It just looks and sounds wrong, IMO. Really wrong.

Originally Posted by canucklehead
OP - great to see someone using our cars properly - actually driving them for real! i've done a track day and a 1/4 mile event and had a blast at both. good point about the insurance aspect, all tracks make it clear that insurance does not cover track use.
Thanks, canucklehead.

I haven't done a proper 1/4 racetrack since... 1985, I think. Almost 30 years ago, in a modified Trans Am that was also my DD when I was in college. I think I'd like to try that someday with the G as well. And maybe a driving school day at Watkins Glen could be fun. (Expensive, but fun.)

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G