Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 12:11 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Thanks, brad. I'll take a virgin pick of the other side for comparison.

And I'm going to pass on the myg37 decals. They're kind of big, and... IDK, doesn't sit right with me for some reason. But thanks for the heads up, buddy.
Actually the white one might go pretty well, like I said it's not nearly as obtrusive as you might think, and if you don't like it you're only out a couple cups of coffee
Old 10-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Actually the white one might go pretty well, like I said it's not nearly as obtrusive as you might think, and if you don't like it you're only out a couple cups of coffee
I put this decal on the inside rear window of my previous car, and often thought about doing the same with the G. At first glance, you might think that's a bit over the top, but since I live in Rochester, NY... well... Plus, it was only 5" long. Very small sticker. The thought I keep coming back to is to have that decal in front of the 3rd brake light on the G. Otherwise, with the tinted window an all, it would have to be on the outside.

Truth is, I haven't figured out how to remove the rear deck trim panel in order to access the glass. Do you know how to remove the large rear-deck panel? Sometimes, I can be real lazy about certain mods.

Here... old pic. You might notice it's in the same font as the 4DSC sticker.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-05-2013 at 12:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (10-05-2013)
Old 10-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I like it, might help if you post a "virgin" side pic right below it for comparison...
OK. Here's the driver's side... with chrome trim:

...and here's the previous picture of the passenger side, with gloss black trim at the beltline:

Old 10-05-2013, 05:02 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
...and here's the previous picture of the passenger side, with gloss black trim at the beltline:
Hard to say what looks better, on the black G the chrome looks a bit sportier since the black sort of disappears into the body. If you keep just the bottom strip w/ vinyl you'll have to vinyl the webs of your duck feet for synergy, plus I'm dying to see what that would look like outside of your photoshop
Old 10-05-2013, 05:32 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Hard to say what looks better, on the black G the chrome looks a bit sportier since the black sort of disappears into the body.
I agree, it's far more pronounced with the darker color car. But with the moonlight white, it's an extremely subtle mod... which is precisely what drew me to it in the first place. So I just did the driver's side. You can probably relate to this, but as I was laying down my fourth strip of vinyl, I realized that my skills in handling and the razor blade had improved much over the two on the other side.

Also, I've settled on cutting 1.25" for each strip, rather than 1.00". You can get 9 strips this way out of the standard 12"x60" sheet. Plenty to do more than one effort. Lay down the bottom edge first, overhanging the vinyl parallel from the chrome to the door paint (about .125"), which you can tuck in with a plastic edge. It's better to cut off excess from the top than it is the bottom.

Now it just remains to be seen how stout this stuff is on the window trim. I've got flat-black vinyl wrap on my rear bummer cut-out, and that's been holding up just fine over a year now.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:57 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Rochester,

I think that I like it better with the blacked out trim. Chrome never looks that good to me on a light colored car ... because of the low contrast I guess.

Greg
Old 10-05-2013, 09:18 PM
samuel1021
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
I'm personally a fan of the blacked out trim, as I've wrapped my window trim as well as the chrome spoiler on the trunk.

I feel like the chrome just looks...tacky.

Here's my '07 G35S with the blacked out trim and spoiler.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:50 PM
Zack342
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by samuel1021
I'm personally a fan of the blacked out trim, as I've wrapped my window trim as well as the chrome spoiler on the trunk.

I feel like the chrome just looks...tacky.

Here's my '07 G35S with the blacked out trim and spoiler.

where did you get the trim wrapped
Old 10-07-2013, 09:08 PM
Rochester
Administrator

^^^
There's something odd about that. Couldn't quite place my finger on it (no pun) until just now when I realized what it is: the black window trim creates too much of an outlined effect because of the non-tinted windows. And the chrome lip on the trunk would look better (IMO) if it were still chrome, or Moonlight White, instead of this unnecessary strip of black.

Sport Coupe rims look fantastic, however. As they always do on the Sedan. INFINITI really should have offered them as an option on the Sport Sedan.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:35 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
Rochester, IMO, the white G would look great with gloss black trim + gloss black side mirror covers. Love this combo, someone had it on a grey G sedan and it looked too nice. Though you or someone else said the black/white can go too far and look like a stormtrooper car, which I agree. Have to pick and choose your battles with this one.

Considering doing it myself, but in a gunmetal color since my car is black (been thinking about it for a while, but prob won't happen for a while do to fickleness and heavy schedule)

^^^
And the chrome lip on the trunk would look better (IMO) if it were still chrome, or Moonlight White, instead of this unnecessary strip of black.

Sport Coupe rims look fantastic, however. As they always do on the Sedan. INFINITI really should have offered them as an option on the Sport Sedan.
Agree, swap raised wing spoiler to OEM lip and problem solved. Trim looks fine to me. Overall samuel has a very well put together G
The following users liked this post:
samuel1021 (10-08-2013)
Old 10-08-2013, 07:39 AM
samuel1021
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Zack342
where did you get the trim wrapped
I ordered it on eBay for like, $16 shipped, and wrapped it myself. Took me two days because I started late one night and ran out of sunlight, haha. But it's fairly simple to do.

^^^
There's something odd about that. Couldn't quite place my finger on it (no pun) until just now when I realized what it is: the black window trim creates too much of an outlined effect because of the non-tinted windows. And the chrome lip on the trunk would look better (IMO) if it were still chrome, or Moonlight White, instead of this unnecessary strip of black.

I'm planning on getting it tinted eventually. I just have other things I'd rather get done first. As for the chrome lip on the trunk, I just wanted everything to match. I figured random chrome here and there wouldn't look very good.

And yes, I'm a huge, huge fan of the Sport Coupe wheels, and I knew I had to have them for this car.

Any plans for new wheels, Rochester?
Old 10-08-2013, 08:54 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Any plans for new wheels, Rochester?
Plans, sure. But not actually on the schedule for years, unless something significant happens and I'm flush with candy money. Exhaust and a tune and other mods like a 4.083 rear end... those things come long before rims for this car. But yeah, I'm always looking at rims because of the Internet.

At the moment, the wheels I've been studying are, in order of preference:

Stance SC-6IX, in Machined Matte Silver, 19"
SC-6ix Machine Matte Silver Wheel - Stance Wheels
I think they're beautiful. A simple, elegant design, with the spokes extending right to the edge. I love the deep inner lip, and the subtle contrast between machined aluminum and matte silver. Simply gorgeous.

Enkei RSM9, in Piano Black w/machined lip, 19"
Enkei Wheels - Racing Series Wheels - RSM9
The RSM9 is very light-weight, with strength and Enkie quality build. Those narrow, black spokes would beautifully showcase the Akebono BBK.

Vossen VVS-CV3, in Machined Matte Silver, 19"
Vossen Wheels
Another elegant design. Somewhat costly for a basic cast wheel, and I've read a few negative things about Vossen, but only a few. Overall, it's a proven winner here on the G Forum.

Enkei RPF1, in SBC, 18"
Enkei Wheels - Racing Series Wheels - RPF1
The most cost-effective, insanely light-weight, high quality wheel on the market, IMO. The 18" RPF1 clears the Akebono BBK, which means I can swap the Michelin PSS directly, and save another $1000 on tires. The downside is the design... that prominent lip isn't all that appealing, particularly with the spokes being so short.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:09 AM
samuel1021
Registered Member

All solid choices, buddy.

And you said a tune? I'm still trying to wrap my head around how the whole tuning thing even works. Everyone just says don't bother if your motor is NA.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:21 AM
Rochester
Administrator

All solid choices, buddy.
Yeah, I believe that, too. Funny thing is, now that I've lined them up like that, the Vossens are dropping off my wish list. Oh, and I showed that post to the wife last night. And that didn't go over too well, LOL.

Comparing OEM duckfeet w/OEM Bridgestones to the Enkei RPF1 w/PSS... that's a full 40 pound reduction of unsprung weight. Seriously, 10 lbs on each corner. It more than makes up for those ridiculously heavy rotors (which I still love.) But those Stance wheels are so damn attractive, I'm not sure I care.

Truth of the matter is, if it comes down to spending between $2000 to $3000 on wheels and tires, vs. the same on a 4.083 rear end swap... the gears win. That's a no-brainer decision for me.

And you said a tune? I'm still trying to wrap my head around how the whole tuning thing even works. Everyone just says don't bother if your motor is NA.
Everyone says that, eh?

My personal plan leading up to a tune is: 1) intake (done), 2) RHFC (spring 2014), 3) cat-back, 4) M370 IM (maybe)... and then a tune. Last I looked, the nearest shop to my location that can dyno and tune the car with UpRev software is in Toronto. And my expectations at the time? Noticeable gains in the mid-range, but probably no more than 15 peak HP.

Plans are always subject to change, however. Affected by new knowledge, available funds, and prioritized events beyond my control.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:37 PM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The tint difference between the front and back windows is really killing the clean look of the car. Sorry man, I know you probably don't want hassle from the cops. I would probably just not tint anything at all.

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G