Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Seriously. Where is this shop located??
Old 05-08-2019, 02:25 PM
sidestepca
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
Seriously. Where is this shop located??
any local mechanic shop could do all of that. just call around and find out. its best to know what u want and be firm on a price. goodluck.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:51 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by sidestepca
any local mechanic shop could do all of that. just call around and find out. its best to know what u want and be firm on a price. goodluck.
No. I would not trust just "any local mechanic shop" to do the oil gallery gasket.

You do realize that the labor rate is about 16 hours to replace the oil gasket gasket right?

If a shop charges $100/hr that's still $1,600 in labor alone.

If a shop charges $60/he that will be $960. The problem is

1. Most independent shops charge more than $60/hr.

2. If you find one with a low labor rate, what is their quality of work?

Oil gallery gaskets is a very involved repair that requires removing the entire front end of the car. It requires a experienced person to do this repair. I would not trust just "any" shop to do this repair, but rather someone that has performed it before.

Just because "any local mechanic shop" can do brakes or replace struts doesn't mean they are competent enough to do a oil gallery gasket repair.

So having him share the name of the shop that performed his repairs would greatly help members here as well as bring in more business for that shop.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:23 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 449 Likes on 377 Posts
So hypothetically, if one bought a spare engine block and wanted to bulletproof that oil gallery. What could you do to keep it from (eventually) leaking? Silver solder it in place? Have the block and galley cover grooved for a silicone or copper o-ring? Replace both ends with threaded AN 90* adapters and have a hard line between the two spots?

Between the fact that LKQ is pretty cheap and they get 2012+ G37s fairly regularly, I think I might need to pick up an engine for the garage and... eventually. If I do so I'll rebuild it while it sits in the garage. If I'm going to do that, might as well build it right...
Old 05-08-2019, 05:23 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rotarymike
So hypothetically, if one bought a spare engine block and wanted to bulletproof that oil gallery. What could you do to keep it from (eventually) leaking? Silver solder it in place? Have the block and galley cover grooved for a silicone or copper o-ring? Replace both ends with threaded AN 90* adapters and have a hard line between the two spots?

Between the fact that LKQ is pretty cheap and they get 2012+ G37s fairly regularly, I think I might need to pick up an engine for the garage and... eventually. If I do so I'll rebuild it while it sits in the garage. If I'm going to do that, might as well build it right...

EPS Tuning Oil Gallery Gasket/Hardware Kit

https://conceptzperformance.com/czp-...kt_p_31979.php
The following users liked this post:
rotarymike (05-09-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 08:59 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
Do you have any pics with the rear taillights in the off position?
What did you do to your Sedan today?-mn56jnn.jpg
and more from last summer.
https://imgur.com/a/O1k26PV#9IDSRD0
Old 05-08-2019, 09:17 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
those tail lights gotta go. do u really like them ?
Old 05-08-2019, 09:25 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Im not really a fan of those. Too many different colors going on there. Also whats up with the alignment? the right reverse light is like angled inwards, the gap is totally off
Old 05-08-2019, 10:45 PM
deepblue3
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by qmantran
No. I would not trust just "any local mechanic shop" to do the oil gallery gasket.

You do realize that the labor rate is about 16 hours to replace the oil gasket gasket right?

If a shop charges $100/hr that's still $1,600 in labor alone.

If a shop charges $60/he that will be $960. The problem is

1. Most independent shops charge more than $60/hr.

2. If you find one with a low labor rate, what is their quality of work?

Oil gallery gaskets is a very involved repair that requires removing the entire front end of the car. It requires a experienced person to do this repair. I would not trust just "any" shop to do this repair, but rather someone that has performed it before.

Just because "any local mechanic shop" can do brakes or replace struts doesn't mean they are competent enough to do a oil gallery gasket repair.

So having him share the name of the shop that performed his repairs would greatly help members here as well as bring in more business for that shop.
He was able to complete the job in 6.x hours because he didn't need to remove the front-end of the car. He's done quite a few of those galley gaskets and only needs to remove the coolant reservoir to access the front timing cover. I can share the name of the shop if the mods are willing to remove how much I paid from my post that has been quoted. I've already removed it from my original post. I would like to bring him more business because I think his work is high quality based on my conversations with him. I just don't feel comfortable having both publicly posted and the price can possibly go stale in the future.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:59 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by MNfiniti
Is that a greyhound in the background?
Old 05-09-2019, 08:41 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by deepblue3
He was able to complete the job in 6.x hours because he didn't need to remove the front-end of the car. He's done quite a few of those galley gaskets and only needs to remove the coolant reservoir to access the front timing cover. I can share the name of the shop if the mods are willing to remove how much I paid from my post that has been quoted. I've already removed it from my original post. I would like to bring him more business because I think his work is high quality based on my conversations with him. I just don't feel comfortable having both publicly posted and the price can possibly go stale in the future.

Price removed!
Old 05-09-2019, 09:01 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

I have to chime in on the lights - they look busy. Not a fan... but it aint' my car lol. Otherwise I like what you're doing with her.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:04 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

So... one of those kits comes with some orings. The other doesn't. Are those just nissan parts that are included so they get replaced?

My concern with the original design is that a long, flat galley cover up against the mass of an engine block - even if they are similar or the same metal - is heat and cooling expansion/contraction cycles will eventually loosen or crack whatever you have there.

Clearly I need a 'parts' engine to take apart and ponder - I don't have a good 3D grasp of where this is in relation to all the other front-of-engine-bits.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:30 AM
qmantran
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rotarymike
So... one of those kits comes with some orings. The other doesn't. Are those just nissan parts that are included so they get replaced?

My concern with the original design is that a long, flat galley cover up against the mass of an engine block - even if they are similar or the same metal - is heat and cooling expansion/contraction cycles will eventually loosen or crack whatever you have there.

Clearly I need a 'parts' engine to take apart and ponder - I don't have a good 3D grasp of where this is in relation to all the other front-of-engine-bits.
The concept z performance kit is "Made from Syntheseal gasket material"

The EPS tuning kit is "Steel reinforced"

The OEM gasket is some type of paper material that breaks apart on its own over time. I have no experience with either kit, I just know those 2 are supposed to be alternative upgrades over the "OEM Paper gasket"
Old 05-09-2019, 10:01 AM
Aeroneer1
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
LOVE that deck lid. Wish I could get one of those ..

Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
and more from last summer.
https://imgur.com/a/O1k26PV#9IDSRD0

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Sedan today?