Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 10:31 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
I could ask an Infiniti master tech at my job for some insight if that would help?
Old 08-11-2018, 07:53 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
I could ask an Infiniti master tech at my job for some insight if that would help?
Hi, Z. Been a while. Sure, I'd love some answers to this problem. Sucks, but I'm at the point where I'm feeling no option but to get the car towed to the dealership. If you saw my garage and driveway, you'd know why that gives me a whole lot of anxiety.

To sum up for your ask: 39k miles, two year old OEM battery, original starter, new clutch position switch 7k miles ago. About five weeks ago the car experienced a no-start scenario, resolved after a half dozen attempts. This situation occurred twice since, and then a final time last week, while at home and parked in my garage. I purchased a new clutch position switch, to no avail. I tried hard-wiring the switch clip harness with a paperclip, to no avail.

When you press the ignition, the dash lights up and the center-dash LCD says "Clutch", as if I were trying to start the car without pressing the clutch (i.e. closing the circuit on the clutch position switch.)

And that's it. By all means, let him read this comment. Thanks, buddy.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:53 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

If you saw my garage and driveway, you'd know why that gives me a whole lot of anxiety.
I saw the video you posted of pulling into your driveway.....I'd have a lot of anxiety about it too. Any chance you could get a flatbed up into your driveway and get it on there, or will you have to push it out to the street?

Sucks, sorry you're having this issue. Electrical issues are tough to diagnose.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:43 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I saw the video you posted of pulling into your driveway.....I'd have a lot of anxiety about it too. Any chance you could get a flatbed up into your driveway and get it on there, or will you have to push it out to the street?

Sucks, sorry you're having this issue. Electrical issues are tough to diagnose.
My garage is at a 90° angle at the back end of my driveway, facing my neighbor's garage, at the same orientation. It's a shared driveway, and basically a large "T", if you can visualize it. Plus, it slopes pretty severely down to the street. So in all likelihood, I'd have to roll it out of the garage, and muscle the steering wheel to turn 90°, then roll down the driveway. At that point, it's possible I could pop the clutch and get it started. However, if at any point I stall the car on the way to the shop, I'm screwed. And if I don't pop the clutch successfully, I'm also screwed.

Thank god we've got three cars, and I work at home. Otherwise, having my car dead in the water would be a bit of a crisis.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:52 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I know the feeling Rochester. The driveway will be the least of your worries. It is the skill of the tow truck driver that makes the difference. My driveway has a bit of an angle and I mistakenly pushed the car out of the garage thinking they would need it outside to get it on the flatbed when my car needed to be towed. The flatbed driver could not get the right angle and tried rolling my car down the driveway, back up it, into the street, pulling his truck into my neighbor's driveway, etc. It took him forever and he ended up blocking a busy street for quite a while. My neighbors were thrilled.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:03 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I only ever had the car towed once before, four years ago when the CSC blew out. The chains ripped up my undertray, which I didn't find out until months later. This time around, I'm aware of things, and will be using the tow-hook. Don't know why I didn't use the tow hook the first time.

Getting the car up on the flatbed, with a lowered car... it wasn't fun. I really don't want to do it again. If I can pop the clutch with the tow truck here, I may just pay him full price just to shadow me to the dealership.

Man, that's freaking paranoid.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:12 AM
KidJai06
Registered Member

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts
Not sure if you've gone down the electrical rabbit hole yet, but have you gone through your fuses and relays? I picked up a Power Probe a couple years ago, it makes short work of checking those things, fortunately I've not had need for it with the G (knock on wood). If all else fails there's always some quality weekend reading of electrical schematics from the service manual.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:27 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Getting the car up on the flatbed, with a lowered car... it wasn't fun. I really don't want to do it again.
100% Agree
Old 08-14-2018, 11:14 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
I really hope you get this sorted out, good luck man
Old 08-14-2018, 11:20 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hashim
I really hope you get this sorted out, good luck man
Thanks. That's kind to say.

Picked up a multi-meter yesterday, to see if the wiring from the clutch position harness clip is properly powered. Other than that, I'm just processing in my head the logistics of getting the car to the dealership, and trying not to go into full-on Crisis Mode about it, because we still have two other functioning cars, and I work at home, blah blah blah. Point being, I don't want to give in to the typical fix-my-car-at-all-costs state of mind. Trying to de-prioritize it.

Easier said than done. Fortunately, I can be really lazy about certain projects. And I happen to have another homeowner project going on, as well as a lawnmower that just died, which is something that has to get fixed before the next mow. (sigh)
Old 08-14-2018, 02:49 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
trying not to go into full-on Crisis Mode about it, because we still have two other functioning cars, and I work at home, blah blah blah. Point being, I don't want to give in to the typical fix-my-car-at-all-costs state of mind. Trying to de-prioritize it.
I was going to say something along those lines. Especially since you had previously implied before that your wife had bridged the 'why do we have this car again?' conversation. Best to not let it impact your mood. I know I can be moody when my vehicular world isn't fully aligned, which serves no benefit.

And I happen to have another homeowner project going on, as well as a lawnmower that just died, which is something that has to get fixed before the next mow. (sigh)
Homeowner projects are always fun I've recently upgraded my outdoor power equipment and am just looking for an opportunity to break out my new toys
Old 08-16-2018, 05:19 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

And I happen to have another homeowner project going on, as well as a lawnmower that just died, which is something that has to get fixed before the next mow. (sigh)
If you end up needing a new lawnmower, take a look at an electric one. I just got a 82V Snapper with 2 batteries and it is awesome! So much quieter and easier to use than my old gas mower and I never have to worry about gas or oil. It was a little spendy at about $450-ish off of Amazon, but it is worlds better than a regular gas mower. I was pleasantly surprised.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:25 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
If you end up needing a new lawnmower, take a look at an electric one. I just got a 82V Snapper with 2 batteries and it is awesome! So much quieter and easier to use than my old gas mower and I never have to worry about gas or oil. It was a little spendy at about $450-ish off of Amazon, but it is worlds better than a regular gas mower. I was pleasantly surprised.
Turns out the drive belt slipped off its pulley. It was an easy fix, and now I'm a hero, LOL.

I've tried a few electric mowers over the years, borrowed from friends, and didn't care for them. That said, the tech is improving at breakneck speed, so I'm sure there's an electric mower in my future someday.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:13 AM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
The days of trying not to run over our extension cords are behind us. That being said, my Honda powered Husqvarna is all i’ll Need for the foreseeable future.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:41 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Four 6MT Sedan owners in a row... Nice.

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G