Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 08:25 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Or maybe a ridiculously thick wallet, and that's the wear pattern from sliding across the seat?
Ding ding! I think we found the problem. But now that he already bought all the car parts and has kids going to college, the seat will not get any worse.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:46 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
No, I don't carry the wallet in my back pocket, and it's relatively thin.

I'm sure it's just a defect in the leather somehow that's getting worse over time. In another couple of years it will be covered with duct tape.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:24 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

I'm sure it's just a defect in the leather somehow that's getting worse over time. In another couple of years it will be covered with duct tape.

At least they make that colored duct tape now, so you can match the interior color better
Old 07-06-2018, 11:09 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

No, I don't carry the wallet in my back pocket, and it's relatively thin.

The day you drive around with big patches of duct tape on your seat is the day we get you checked into a mental institution.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:41 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
The day you drive around with big patches of duct tape on your seat is the day we get you checked into a mental institution.
Yeah, but I'm in a weird position right now. I made a family promise not to spend money on the car this year for discretionary things. I think this is the first time I ever put that on myself. Feels like I'm being choked.

So I research things, and I make plans, and b1tch about the things I can't change in the moment.

Sorry /rant
The following users liked this post:
r2dmax (07-06-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 12:54 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Yeah, but I'm in a weird position right now. I made a family promise not to spend money on the car this year for discretionary things. I think this is the first time I ever put that on myself. Feels like I'm being choked.

So I research things, and I make plans, and b1tch about the things I can't change in the moment.

Sorry /rant
Oh that's a bummer. Do you have a 2019 car part advent calendar to get you through?
Old 07-06-2018, 12:59 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Oh that's a bummer. Do you have a 2019 car part advent calendar to get you through?
Advent Calendar, LOL. I was Catholic once, so I know what that is.

Anyway, 2019 through 2022...
  • dyno tune
  • 2-piece rotors
  • caliper painting
  • headlight mods
  • motor mounts
  • some PDR

However, the scheduling specifics are vague.

2022 will be my long-term goal for 10 years of ownership. My youngest should be in her sophomore year by then. So if the car is still viable, and my interest remains, it might stick around for two more years, and then buy myself something special when I'm 60.

Sheesh... 60
Old 07-06-2018, 01:03 PM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Nope, just my fat *** and jeans.

(sigh)

See, this is why I didn't want to show anyone the problem. I can't explain why it's worn, and it speaks poorly of my intentions to care for the car. It just sucks.
I understand your frustration. Mine has an actual separation at the seam. I'm able to hide it (for now) but I really want that stitched or whatever.

I just couldn't resist being snarky with the King of snark
Old 07-06-2018, 02:09 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Advent Calendar, LOL. I was Catholic once, so I know what that is.

Anyway, 2019 through 2022...
  • dyno tune
  • 2-piece rotors
  • caliper painting
  • headlight mods
  • motor mounts
  • some PDR

However, the scheduling specifics are vague.

2022 will be my long-term goal for 10 years of ownership. My youngest should be in her sophomore year by then. So if the car is still viable, and my interest remains, it might stick around for two more years, and then buy myself something special when I'm 60.

Sheesh... 60
I would skip the 2pc. rotors for the street, unless you really like the look. Even then, that is not a cheap mod for looks. PDR = paintless dent repair?
Old 07-06-2018, 03:55 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I would skip the 2pc. rotors for the street, unless you really like the look. Even then, that is not a cheap mod for looks. PDR = paintless dent repair?
Love the look. Amazing bragging rights that I can share with no one who's actually in my life, LOL.

Yes on the PDR. I have two almost invisible dings. Seriously, they're really hard to see unless you know how to look for them. So obviously I see them all the time.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:41 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Yes on the PDR. I have two almost invisible dings. Seriously, they're really hard to see unless you know how to look for them. So obviously I see them all the time.
I know what you mean. I had one microscopic dent in my car that drove me nuts to look at all the time until the dent guy had time to fix it. I swear it was growing larger by the day.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:47 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I know what you mean. I had one microscopic dent in my car that drove me nuts to look at all the time until the dent guy had time to fix it. I swear it was growing larger by the day.
I don't know what they are, either. Both rear fenders have an almost imperceptible depression, maybe the size of a quarter, that you can really only see looking down the length of the fender. Well, once you see the one you can't un-see it. The other still takes some effort to locate. And there's no paint damage at all.

It bugs me. And it's certainly on the list of things to get taken care of. But it's so low down the list, sometimes I wonder if I'll ever do it. PDR is approximately $100 per ding, plus the inconvenience factor.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:48 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
I don't know what they are, either. Both rear fenders have an almost imperceptible depression, maybe the size of a quarter, that you can really only see looking down the length of the fender. Well, once you see the one you can't un-see it. The other still takes some effort to locate. And there's no paint damage at all.

It bugs me. And it's certainly on the list of things to get taken care of. But it's so low down the list, sometimes I wonder if I'll ever do it. PDR is approximately $100 per ding, plus the inconvenience factor.
I had it done once, after my parking-neighbour's kid created a row of dents in one of my doors over the course of a year or two...since then i have gotten three or four of them from jerks in parking lots despite my efforts to never park near people...people just don't care

lol I know I'm probably telling the wrong person this but its not worth the aggravation to obsess over it, good that its low on your list...

for the seat bottom, have you thought about grabbing a used bottom cover off eBay, they seem to seem to have a lot of individual parts of the seats on there that you otherwise cant get separately..
Old 07-09-2018, 10:50 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hashim
for the seat bottom, have you thought about grabbing a used bottom cover off eBay, they seem to seem to have a lot of individual parts of the seats on there that you otherwise cant get separately..
I have thought of that. I don't think the material cost is the significant factor here, it's the labor to disassemble the seat and whatever leather-working magic skills are necessary to make this happen, hence the research with professional upholsterers.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:10 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
I have thought of that. I don't think the material cost is the significant factor here, it's the labor to disassemble the seat and whatever leather-working magic skills are necessary to make this happen, hence the research with professional upholsterers.
Interesting, I just assumed a DIY disassembly, I was thinking cutting and sewing was the big part, and it might be like your armrest at that point even if you took it to the upholsterer, but yeah, I can see the cost going up if its the upholsterer doing all the disassembly ...

one other thing that you might try is experimenting with some dye to blend it if you're feeling brave...I have see n some ppl on here try it on the whole seat to make them red with the result looking quite terrible, but on a single section blending the extant colour it might not be so bad...

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G