Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 05:15 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
I'm sure it'll look stunning once your done. Post up some pics of your work after, I'd love to see it.

George
I wish I had a better camera to show the depth of the shine

https://www.myg37.com/forums/picture...tural-ftw.html
Old 06-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by jnguyen
I recently Join Autopia after ya said I should try it and someone message me from my location. I need your opinion on him since I know Rotary buffering and wetsanding is bad if isnt done right and he uses them alot but he say he is really experience with it. It looks like he is very good with it.

What do ya think? Should I pull the trigger and schedule a detail from him? He seems very legit from all his post on Autopia. I am veery **** when it comes to my car so usually only I can drive or touch it so I figure i ask the pro before I make my decision
I looked over his work, he seems pretty legit. I would say pull the trigger on the detail then make sure you properly maintain it from there on out.

If there's anything else I can help with, please do not hesitate to ask.

WhosUrBuddiee - Your car looks bad ***! Love the way you modded it and the detail looks stunning. Glad to hear you enjoyed the Supernatural Wax. Keep up the great work!

Enjoy!

George
Old 06-19-2009, 04:19 PM
Taktix1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
George, few questions:

1) What is the difference between a medium/fine grade clay bar? I'm looking to purchase one, any you recommend?
2) What product do you recommend for lubricating while claying? If a product says a ratio of 10:1 does that just mean for ex. for every 1 cup of product I need to mix it with 10 cups of water?
3) What is a good product to wash my car with to remove sealant/wax left over?
4) I'm currently using Menz FMJ with P21S Concours Carnauba wax. If my car sits outside all day and is only driven 2-3 days a week how long do you think an application will last? Can I reapply any of the products on top of my car after a normal wash (where I did not strip the wax/sealant)? Also, do you recommend any other waxes for an IP car?
5) What can I use to condition/take care of my leather and console?

Thanks for taking the time out to answer the questions. I'll await your response before ordering.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Taktix1
George, few questions:

1) What is the difference between a medium/fine grade clay bar? I'm looking to purchase one, any you recommend?

Medium grade clay bars are designed to be more aggressive in removing stubborn contamination. The downside of using a medium grade clay is that you're just about guaranteed to add marring to the finish. With a fine grade clay bar and a lot of clay lube, you can usually get away with little to no marring. Ideally, in any case, you want to polish after using a clay to remove any potential marring, especially if you use a medium grade bar.

2) What product do you recommend for lubricating while claying? If a product says a ratio of 10:1 does that just mean for ex. for every 1 cup of product I need to mix it with 10 cups of water?

You got it. I'm assuming you are looking at Dodo Juice Born Slippy? It's an outstanding clay lube, I had a chance to use it a few times and it's my new go-to clay bar lubricant. When you factor in it's a concentrate with a 10:1 dilution ratio, it's a great value as well.

3) What is a good product to wash my car with to remove sealant/wax left over?

Chemical Guys Wash & Gloss or Wash & Clear are two shampoos you can use in high concentration to remove previous coats of wax, polishing oils and other residue left behind. Be sure you're using it around a 2oz / gallon ratio to ensure you remove all of the protection.

Here's a professional review on Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Clear if interested.

4) I'm currently using Menz FMJ with P21S Concours Carnauba wax. If my car sits outside all day and is only driven 2-3 days a week how long do you think an application will last? Can I reapply any of the products on top of my car after a normal wash (where I did not strip the wax/sealant)? Also, do you recommend any other waxes for an IP car?

You can usually expect 3 - 4 months out of Menzerna FMJ and about 3 - 6 weeks out of P21S Concours Carnauba Wax. Your best bet is to monitor your water beading during each wash and reapply the sealant about once a season to ensure you're fully protected year round.

You can top your car with your wax after a regular wash and build the wax layers. I'd recommend waxing at least once a month to ensure you get the maximum benefit of having your wax on there.

You could look into one of the color specific waxes from Dodo Juice. I've had great luck with Light Fantastic on my brothers white Altima, it really brought out the metallic flake. Their hard wax for lighter colors is Diamond White, both worth looking into if you're looking to upgrade to a new wax. Good thing about Dodo Juice waxes is that you can try them out in 30ml sizes before you take the plunge on a larger jar.

5) What can I use to condition/take care of my leather and console?

If you're looking for a one step product to care for your leather, vinyl, rubber and plastic surfaces, check out Optimum Protectant Plus. It kills two birds with one stone by cleaning and UV protecting in one step. It goes on and off easy and leaves behind a beautiful matte finish.

Thanks for taking the time out to answer the questions. I'll await your response before ordering.
If you have any other questions on anything, please do not hesitate to ask.

Cheers,

George
Old 06-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Taktix1

George,
Thanks for the quick reply! A few more questions:

1) I'll prob just get a fine grade clay bar, however you mentioned polishing. Do you mean I need to use a machine? or do you mean just to make sure to apply sealant/wax?
2) I will def take a look into the CG products. I currently use PB Super Slick and Suds as my wash, if I up the concentration on that, will it strip the wax/seal? If so whats the correct concentration?
3) How many applications (roughly) does the 30ml size of Dodo Juice wax provide? Do I need to leave the wax on for a certain amount of time before buffing it off? Do I need to do this with my current wax (PS1S Concours)?

Thanks!!

Last edited by Taktix1; 06-20-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:19 AM
pfizzle

How can I remove exterior door handle scratches?
Old 06-21-2009, 11:19 PM
NateLajoie

How do you deal with paint chips and deep scratches before polishing? Should those be fixed first? Can I just prep and polish over the chips or would that make them larger? My front bumper has a bunch of chips, which would be very tedious to fill them all in, I just want to work around that area. The rear bumper has a deep scratch which I don't care to fill in. Basically, I'm fine with some imperfections around the paint, because the cars about 5 years old now and it's a daily driver. What's the best way to deal with areas like that on the paint before a polish?
Old 06-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
How do you know when a piece of clay is "done"? I have some Clear Kote fine grade clay I've used a number of times and it doesn't appear to be visibly dirty (how can you tell, it's blue?) and has never been dropped, but it feels a little grainy. Time to replace it?
Old 06-23-2009, 08:27 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Taktix1
George,
Thanks for the quick reply! A few more questions:

1) I'll prob just get a fine grade clay bar, however you mentioned polishing. Do you mean I need to use a machine? or do you mean just to make sure to apply sealant/wax?

Polishing is designed to remove imperfections in the paint which really enhances the finish more than any other step you can do. It achieves this by leveling out your clear coat using abrasive polishes and is best applied with a quality buffer. Polishing is much different than sealing or waxing. Polishing will not leave your paint protected, where that is the primary purpose of a sealant or wax. Read over our polishing guide for a better understanding of the step.

2) I will def take a look into the CG products. I currently use PB Super Slick and Suds as my wash, if I up the concentration on that, will it strip the wax/seal? If so whats the correct concentration?

PB SS&S is a very mild and gentle shampoo to maintain and preserve your coats of protection. Upping the concentration would just result in wasted product. A cheap alternative to a new shampoo is a using Isopropyl Alcohol and distilled water like a quick detailer prior to your wash.

3) How many applications (roughly) does the 30ml size of Dodo Juice wax provide? Do I need to leave the wax on for a certain amount of time before buffing it off? Do I need to do this with my current wax (PS1S Concours)?

Probably looking around 3 - 5 applications with the 30ml size jars. I typically apply about 2 panels, then remove. I haven't tested out longer or shorter sit times yet, but I haven't hand any problems removing the product.

Thanks!!
If there's anything else I can help with, please do not hesitate to ask.

Originally Posted by pfizzle
How can I remove exterior door handle scratches?
For door handle scratches, what you want to do is use a foam applicator pad and an abrasive polish. You always want to start with the least aggressive polish to get the job done and work your way up more aggressive as needed.

A good polish to try out for this situation would be Poorboy's SSR 2. It's pretty mild, but works well by hand.

Originally Posted by NateLajoie
How do you deal with paint chips and deep scratches before polishing? Should those be fixed first? Can I just prep and polish over the chips or would that make them larger? My front bumper has a bunch of chips, which would be very tedious to fill them all in, I just want to work around that area. The rear bumper has a deep scratch which I don't care to fill in. Basically, I'm fine with some imperfections around the paint, because the cars about 5 years old now and it's a daily driver. What's the best way to deal with areas like that on the paint before a polish?
If you plan on touching up areas, you should do so prior to your detail, about a week or more before so that the new paint has the proper amount of time to cure. After the paint has cured, wet sand the area down and when you polish your entire car, it will remove the wet sanding marks and should leave you with a pretty even finish.

Unless the paint is literally flaking off your car, usually a detail will not make them worse, but you may experience product filling the edges of the chips, which can be an eyesore and make them stand out even more. If you go this route, I'd recommend a rewash after polishing or using something like Menzerna Top Inspection or some Isopropyl Alcohol before applying your sealant and / or wax.

Originally Posted by Black Betty
How do you know when a piece of clay is "done"? I have some Clear Kote fine grade clay I've used a number of times and it doesn't appear to be visibly dirty (how can you tell, it's blue?) and has never been dropped, but it feels a little grainy. Time to replace it?
Sometimes clay can have a somewhat grainy texture to begin with. If you've used it a number of times, then it may be time to replace it. I guess the real answer is to clay under some high powered lighting and monitor to see if it's adding imperfections in your paint. If it isn't, you are good to go, if it is, probably time to replace it unless the area was extremely contaminated and the stuff picked up on your first pass was adding the imperfections.

I take the other approach of clay bar use and cut my bar up into 30 or so pieces. After I do a panel or two with each piece I just throw it away and grab a fresh piece. This way you never question if the clay is working to it's maximum ability or if you are potentially adding unnecessary imperfections to your paint. This method obviously costs a bit more though.

Hope this helps.

George
Old 06-26-2009, 01:59 AM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner is this safe for aftermarket chrome rims? I have rims with a painter face and chrome lip and the detailer guy im going to was going to use this to clean my wheels and i wanted to make sure if i should just tell him water and soap only.

also how long does a jar of 30ml of wax last?
Old 06-26-2009, 01:48 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by jnguyen
P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner is this safe for aftermarket chrome rims? I have rims with a painter face and chrome lip and the detailer guy im going to was going to use this to clean my wheels and i wanted to make sure if i should just tell him water and soap only.

also how long does a jar of 30ml of wax last?
P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner is the safest wheel cleaner out there. If the wheels require more than soap and water, this is your best bet.

30ml waxes usually last between 3 - 5+ applications depending how thin you can spread the wax. Thinner the better and it also makes removing easier as well.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

Have a great weekend,

George
Old 06-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Martingouin

Some questions

Hi,
I just purchase my new black G37x and being new to detailing, I have some questions.

1- Which one is better FMJ or Klass (I have bought Klass but was wondering witch one last longer and witch one look better)?
2- How many time should I wait before layering carnauba over Klass or FMJ?
3- How many time should I wait before layering Carnauba wax over Carnauba wax (I have Pinnacle Souveran).

Thanks!
Old 06-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Martingouin
Hi,
I just purchase my new black G37x and being new to detailing, I have some questions.

1- Which one is better FMJ or Klass (I have bought Klass but was wondering witch one last longer and witch one look better)?
2- How many time should I wait before layering carnauba over Klass or FMJ?
3- How many time should I wait before layering Carnauba wax over Carnauba wax (I have Pinnacle Souveran).

Thanks!
Good questions. Between the two products, Klasse will last longer than the FMJ but is significantly harder to apply and remove. Menzerna FMJ will give you more of a carnauba look, so a lot of people like that benefit, but if you're going to top it with a carnauba wax, you're better off with the more durable sealant.

You should wait a full 24 hours between applying and removing the sealant and before topping it with a carnauba wax. Same goes for the wax, although some will say more like 12 hours.

Also, make sure you're following the proper washing and drying techniques so that you minimize adding swirls and other imperfections to your paint.

Be sure to keep us posted on how things turn out for you, should come out quite stunning with Pinnacle Souveran on black!

George
Old 06-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Taktix1

George,
1. If I'm using FMJ and P21S Concours should I follow that 24 hour rule before applying the P21S Concours?
2. Can you apply multiple layers of sealant like wax?
3. Do you have to wait in between applying coats of wax?
4. Also, you recommended the Dodo Diamond line for a white car in terms of wax, how does supernatural look on whites?
Old 07-01-2009, 01:30 AM
Martingouin

Hi George,
Thanks for the quick reply. I need your personnal advise (on today market) based on the experience you have for every off my requirements on these area.

Tire dressing - I want a long lasting product with no sling off (I have presently used Poorboy's World Bold 'n Bright but after the first rain the product disappears). I think I prefer tire gel because they last longer but with no sling off. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>
Leather protection and cleaner - I presently owned Autoglym Leather care cream. Is this a good care cream? What are my other options?<o></o>
<o></o>
Polish / Compound - What are the best products available to use with a Porter Cable? Is Menzerna best product out there?<o></o>
<o></o>
Sealant - I presently use Klasse All In One (AIO) whitch I found pretty easy to use but if I want to layer it with Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze (HGSG), it's not as eassy. Do you have better options (chemical guys, poorboy's...). I need a long lasting sealant.<o></o>
<o></o>
Carnabau Wax - I presently use Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax but this is a very expensive wax and I am sure I can get the same reasult with a cheaper wax. My expectation is to have a good depth on my black G37, easy to wipe off (because Pinnacle are really easy to wipe off) and have a longer protection than the Souveran. (I've read about p21s, Natty's blue,...)<o></o>
<o></o>
Quick detailing - I need a quick detailing that will remeove little water spot and works well on carnauba wax and acrilyc.<o></o>
<o></o>
Microfiber towel - I need a fine microfiber towel that dont put swirl on paint because G37 paint are easy to mark.

Thanks for the advice and if you have other advice please feel free to give it to me.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image