Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by KLB
Thanks for the help and the great website! When it is time to reapply the FMJ how do I strip the existing wax/sealant? Can I use a stronger ONR wash or will I need something else?

She will have to agree to a orbital buffer before I tackle that thing. I'd have to get one of your polishing kits for sure.
I'd pick up some Isopropyl Alcohol and an empty spray bottle, mixing it to a 50/50 ratio with water. Use that like a quick detailer to ensure that you are stripping everything off of your paint before reapplying another coat. A stronger version of ONR may not completely remove the protection on the paint.

Investing in a buffer would definitely be a good idea before tackling the monster truck

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

Cheers,

George
Old 07-27-2009, 08:05 PM
djsk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi George,

I just bought my G37 (Black on black) and now I would like to baby it. I was hoping to ask you some questions, actually lots of questions (Sorry!!) before I buy products from DI. I have never owned a beautiful car like the G37, therefore have always taken my car to the cheap washes and could care less about swirls, and etc. But now for the first time, I would like to start cleaning my own car. Therefore I was hoping you could help out a super beginner

So first thing first car washes.
I will be using the two bucket method and have the following items, and will be buying the following items.
Have: Two buckets, microfiber cloths, tire brush
Need: Poorboy’s World Super Slick & Suds, two sheepskin wash mitts, and two grit guards. Then Poorboy’s World Bold n’ bright, and wheel sealant for the tires and wheels and foam applicator pad to apply.

Questions:
1. Do I need a bug cleaner or can I just use the slick and suds to clean off the bugs? I don’t really drive where there are lots of bugs.
2. Do I need to use a waffle weave cloth to dry off the car, or can I just use my regular microfiber cloth?
3. Can I use the slick and suds as a quick detailer as well? Or should I get another one? If so, which do you recommend?

Polish: For now, I am going to leave this up to the professionals.
Questions:
4. My car is going to be garaged most of the time. How often do you think I need to get my car polished? I also live in bay area, CA.

Glaze: I still really don’t understand what glaze is. To me, it sounds like something you put on your car if you want the car to look like a show room car.
Questions:
5. Do I need to glaze? Can I just not glaze?

Wax/Sealant: After my readings, it seems like you can just wax or seal your car, or both. I just got the car last week and I believe they just put wax on the car.
Have: Microfiber cloths
Need: Pads, Menzerna FMJ, Z5 Pro, or Poorboys EX for sealants. And Poorboy’s World Natty’s Blue.

Questions:
6. I have a black car. Would it be okay just to put sealant on it? Or would it look that much better with wax on it as well?
7. If I were to just put sealant on the car, which do you recommend?
8. If I were to put both sealant and wax on the car, which sealant & wax combo would you recommend?
9. If I want to start fresh, I would wash my car and get 70% isopropyl alcohol and mix it 50/50 with water in a spray bottle to clean off the car first before I put on any sealant or wax right?
10. I live in CA where the weather condition doesn’t change much at all and have my car garaged most of the time. How much should I be waxing or putting on the sealant?

Interior cleaning:
Have: Microfiber cloth
Need: OPT or 303, Lexol or Leatherique

Questions:
10. I read that OPT not only helps with UV but also helps clean. Should I get the OPT or should I just get 303? Seems like most use 303.
11. Is there much of a difference from lexol and leatherique? Lexol is so much cheaper. I would rather use the cheaper product.
12. If I buy Lexol, I need to buy the leather cleaner and the leather conditioner right?
13. My car is brand new. Should I still apply, these interior cleaning products right now? Or should I put them on later?
14. How often should I be using these products to clean the inside of my car?

Windows:
Questions:
15. It seems like some people use slick and suds to clean their windows as well. Can I use that product to clean my windows that are tinted as well?

I believe that’s all my questions. Sorry that it’s super long.

Really appreciate your help George!
Old 07-27-2009, 10:18 PM
KLB

Originally Posted by djsk
Hi George,

I just bought my G37 (Black on black) and now I would like to baby it. I was hoping to ask you some questions, actually lots of questions (Sorry!!) before I buy products from DI. I have never owned a beautiful car like the G37, therefore have always taken my car to the cheap washes and could care less about swirls, and etc. But now for the first time, I would like to start cleaning my own car. Therefore I was hoping you could help out a super beginner
I'll leave most of the questions to the pros, but since I have been in the same situation as you I thought I would give you my experiences.

The FMJ and Natty's Bluereally do a great job on the BO. I was amazed at how good the car looked when I was done. It is time consuming and takes some effort, but it is worth it.

I personally did not like the sheepskin mits. I just got one of these and I liked it much better.

Be careful, this stuff can be addictive. When you get the car looking great, you want it that way all the time.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:11 AM
djsk

Originally Posted by KLB
I'll leave most of the questions to the pros, but since I have been in the same situation as you I thought I would give you my experiences.

The FMJ and Natty's Bluereally do a great job on the BO. I was amazed at how good the car looked when I was done. It is time consuming and takes some effort, but it is worth it.

I personally did not like the sheepskin mits. I just got one of these and I liked it much better.

Be careful, this stuff can be addictive. When you get the car looking great, you want it that way all the time.
Thanks for the input KLB. I didnt even know those gloves you linked existed.

And congrats on your OB! I love my OB g37! It hasnt been a week yet since I picked it up from the dealer and it's already dusty a bit. I need to start cleaning it!
Old 07-28-2009, 09:00 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Hi George,

So first thing first car washes.
I will be using the two bucket method and have the following items, and will be buying the following items.
Have: Two buckets, microfiber cloths, tire brush
Need: Poorboy’s World Super Slick & Suds, two sheepskin wash mitts, and two grit guards. Then Poorboy’s World Bold n’ bright, and wheel sealant for the tires and wheels and foam applicator pad to apply.

Questions:
1. Do I need a bug cleaner or can I just use the slick and suds to clean off the bugs? I don’t really drive where there are lots of bugs.
It's always nice to have a bug and tar remover or paint degreaser ready in the event you pick up a lot of bugs, tar, sap, etc. Sometimes a normal wash will not remove these types of stubborn contamination. Another alternative is to clay the area. Once you keep your car protected year round with a sealant and / or wax, most stuff washes right off. A nice option for a bug and tar remover is the Chemical Guys Bug Bugger.
2. Do I need to use a waffle weave cloth to dry off the car, or can I just use my regular microfiber cloth?
Waffle weave drying towels are certainly more effective at absorbing water from your vehicle. In fact, some microfiber towels are not good at absorbing water at all. If you have ones you like and are getting by fine, stick with it, if you want to make your drying process a little easier, invest in at least 2 waffle weave drying towels. Also, be sure to take advantage of the sheeting technique before putting any towel to your paint so you don't have as much water to absorb.
3. Can I use the slick and suds as a quick detailer as well? Or should I get another one? If so, which do you recommend?
This shampoo isn't known for being a good QD when mixed with water. I'd invest in a dedicated QD. Depending on what you plan on using it for, some of my favorites are: CG Speed Wipe, CG Synthetic Quick Detailer and Optimum Instant Detailer.

Polish: For now, I am going to leave this up to the professionals.
Questions:
4. My car is going to be garaged most of the time. How often do you think I need to get my car polished? I also live in bay area, CA.
Basically your answer is as needed. If you care for your vehicle properly with the right products and tools, you can really minimize adding imperfections to your new car. To be honest, if you're taking the time to do things right yourself from day 1, polishing isn't that hard (just time consuming). Also, sometimes it can be difficult to find a legit pro detailer in your area. I'd assess the paint twice a year to see if the swirls and other imperfections are bugging you and decide if you need to polish. I wouldn't recommend polishing more than twice a year.

Glaze: I still really don’t understand what glaze is. To me, it sounds like something you put on your car if you want the car to look like a show room car.
Questions:
5. Do I need to glaze? Can I just not glaze?
Glaze is certainly an optional step. What glazes are designed to do is help enhance the gloss and depth as well as fill in minor surface imperfections. It's a nice step for those who don't want to polish with a buffer, but are looking for additional gloss and depth. If you did want to try one out, go with CG EZ Creme Glaze.

Wax/Sealant: After my readings, it seems like you can just wax or seal your car, or both. I just got the car last week and I believe they just put wax on the car.
Have: Microfiber cloths
Need: Pads, Menzerna FMJ, Z5 Pro, or Poorboys EX for sealants. And Poorboy’s World Natty’s Blue.

Questions:
6. I have a black car. Would it be okay just to put sealant on it? Or would it look that much better with wax on it as well?
You can certainly go with just a sealant if you choose. It's one less thing you have to apply on a monthly basis. Waxes will enhance the depth and gloss, especially on a black car, but the life of a wax is usually limited to about 4 weeks. As KLB mentioned, FMJ and Natty's Blue is a great combo for black paint, if you go back a page, he has a pic of his work shown from that combo.
7. If I were to just put sealant on the car, which do you recommend?
If you were only using a sealant, I'd use Chemical Guys Jet Seal 109. This is very easy to apply and remove and is fairly durable, but my main reason for going with it is the looks are as close to a carnauba wax as you'll get from a sealant. I'd reapply it once every 3 months or so. Another great option is Blackfire Wet Diamond, which would be a little more durable than the Jet Seal 109. Menzerna FMJ is our easiest sealant to apply and remove and does look great as well, but I don't usually use it as a stand alone sealant because the durability isn't as great as some others.
8. If I were to put both sealant and wax on the car, which sealant & wax combo would you recommend?
Any of the mentioned sealants + Natty's Blue is a great combo. Bang for your buck, you aren't going to out perform Natty's Blue on a black car. You can achieve more depth and gloss, but it certainly comes with a higher price tag. To get a noticeable step up in performance, other waxes to look into on a black car... Dodo Juice Blue Velvet or Purple Haze, Pinnacle Souveran, Dodo Juice Supernatural.
9. If I want to start fresh, I would wash my car and get 70% isopropyl alcohol and mix it 50/50 with water in a spray bottle to clean off the car first before I put on any sealant or wax right?
You got it, use it like a quick detailer after a wash to strip off any previous coats of protection.
10. I live in CA where the weather condition doesn’t change much at all and have my car garaged most of the time. How much should I be waxing or putting on the sealant?
Wax - once a month, Sealant - once every 3 to 4 months

Interior cleaning:
Have: Microfiber cloth
Need: OPT or 303, Lexol or Leatherique

Questions:
10. I read that OPT not only helps with UV but also helps clean. Should I get the OPT or should I just get 303? Seems like most use 303.
If you're looking for a 1 step product, go with the OPT Protectant Plus. Since your car is new, you can probably get away with just the 303 Aerospace Protectant, but keep in mind it's not designed to remove stains.
11. Is there much of a difference from lexol and leatherique? Lexol is so much cheaper. I would rather use the cheaper product.
There is a big difference between the products. Since you're car is new, I'd just get the Leatherique Prestine Clean, it's almost the same price as both steps of Lexol and you're results will be better from the PC.
12. If I buy Lexol, I need to buy the leather cleaner and the leather conditioner right?
Yes, with the Leatherique you only need the one bottle.
13. My car is brand new. Should I still apply, these interior cleaning products right now? Or should I put them on later?
Apply them now, especially the OPP or 303 to give your interior proper UV protection. You can hold off on the leather for a little while if you want.
14. How often should I be using these products to clean the inside of my car?
I do it about once every two months or as needed. I do weekly wipe downs with just microfiber towels and a light mist of water.

Windows:
Questions:
15. It seems like some people use slick and suds to clean their windows as well. Can I use that product to clean my windows that are tinted as well?
Never heard of people using a shampoo for their glass care, stick with something like Stoner Invisible Glass or CG Window Clean as they are both designed specifically to clean glass and are safe to use on tinted windows.
Let me know if there's anything else I can give you a hand with. Be sure to keep us posted on what you end up going with and how everything turns out for you.

Also, be sure to take advantage of our 15% off + Free shipping promo we have going on until the end of the month, coupon code SUMMER2009 .

Cheers,

George
Old 07-28-2009, 02:04 PM
djsk

Hi George,

Thanks for the reply! Your answers cleared up lots of my questions!

I actually have couple more questions.
1. If I buy Leatherique Prestine Clean, wouldnt i need to also buy Leatherique Rejuvenator oil also to apply it after i use the PC? Where as with Lexol I could just use Lexol leather cleaner and then apply Lexol leather conditioner? Or does the PC have both of what the Lexol products offer, and the rejuventor oil is something on top of what Lexol offers?

2. How would my black car look with just Natty blue's wax? Can I just wax it only and not put sealant on?

3. How many uses can I get out of the 8oz Natty blue's wax? And how many uses can I get out of a 16oz sealant?

Thanks again George!
Old 07-28-2009, 06:18 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Hi George,

Thanks for the reply! Your answers cleared up lots of my questions!

I actually have couple more questions.
1. If I buy Leatherique Prestine Clean, wouldnt i need to also buy Leatherique Rejuvenator oil also to apply it after i use the PC? Where as with Lexol I could just use Lexol leather cleaner and then apply Lexol leather conditioner? Or does the PC have both of what the Lexol products offer, and the rejuventor oil is something on top of what Lexol offers?

2. How would my black car look with just Natty blue's wax? Can I just wax it only and not put sealant on?

3. How many uses can I get out of the 8oz Natty blue's wax? And how many uses can I get out of a 16oz sealant?

Thanks again George!
Leatherique Prestine Clean is a unique product in that it will not only clean but also condition at the same time. The Rejuvenator Oil is more of a heavy duty conditioner used to restore neglected leather. The Prestine Clean can be used stand alone, however the Rejuvenator Oil needs the Prestine Clean after to remove the sticky residue it creates. Leatherique is used in the opposite order of most leather care products, first restore / condition, then clean the surface.

You can certainly go the route of just applying a wax as long as you reapply another coat before the current coat runs out. Most waxes last about 4 to 6 weeks, so I'd recommend at least monthly applicators of the wax.

When applied correctly, I can usually get at least 25 applications of wax out of an 8oz jar of paste wax. Keep in mind, you want to apply wax as thin as possible. Sealants, I can typically apply a coat using about 1oz of product, so expect somewhere around 15 applications out of a 16oz bottle.

Let me know if there's anything else I can answer for you.

George
Old 07-29-2009, 10:27 AM
upperdecker

I have a couple of follow up questions myself. Pretty basic stuff, I suspect. When one is told to wash a microfiber mitt, or any MF product, in soapy water, what should one use? Is the MF soap essential, or can I do a hand wash of my MF mitt in water with a small amount of car soap (I use the Meguiars Gold)?

Also, I have seen contradictory info on drying MF products. Can they be safely dried in a dryer, or must they be hang dried? Somewhere I read that they should not be put into a dryer, as the high heat can damage the fibers. Elsewhere, I have been told to take them out of the dryer when still damp, and to simply avoid high heat. Unfortunately, my dryer only has two temperature settings: air fluff and heat. Given that, should I avoid using the dryer? It does get quite hot.

Thanks in advance. This forum has proven to be a great resource.

Tom
Old 07-29-2009, 02:51 PM
KLB

Originally Posted by upperdecker
I have a couple of follow up questions myself. Pretty basic stuff, I suspect. When one is told to wash a microfiber mitt, or any MF product, in soapy water, what should one use? Is the MF soap essential, or can I do a hand wash of my MF mitt in water with a small amount of car soap (I use the Meguiars Gold)?

Also, I have seen contradictory info on drying MF products. Can they be safely dried in a dryer, or must they be hang dried? Somewhere I read that they should not be put into a dryer, as the high heat can damage the fibers. Elsewhere, I have been told to take them out of the dryer when still damp, and to simply avoid high heat. Unfortunately, my dryer only has two temperature settings: air fluff and heat. Given that, should I avoid using the dryer? It does get quite hot.

Thanks in advance. This forum has proven to be a great resource.

Tom
Detailed images website has guides on all of this stuff. This is the microfiber guide.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:45 PM
upperdecker

Originally Posted by KLB
Detailed images website has guides on all of this stuff. This is the microfiber guide.
Thanks. That answers all of the questions. I appreciate the help.

Tom
Old 07-29-2009, 11:22 PM
alexdee

Hey George, how do I make a degreaser solution for my MF stuff and how long befor ei have to dump it out?

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2009, 09:55 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by upperdecker
Thanks. That answers all of the questions. I appreciate the help.

Tom
If you have any other questions on anything, let me know.

Thanks for posting the link KLB

Originally Posted by alexdee
Hey George, how do I make a degreaser solution for my MF stuff and how long befor ei have to dump it out?

Thanks!
Are you talking about for your dirty towels before you get to wash them? Like a pre-soak degreaser? You can use Chemical Guys Microfiber Wash, some Tide Free, or any degreaser that we carry. Fill up a 5 gallon bucket with about 2/3'rds water and pour in a little (ounce or so) of detergent. This will help release product residue immediately before it gets a chance to settle into your microfiber products. If the bucket is becoming very cloudy or dirty, then I'd take those towels out and refill the bucket again for fresh dirty towels.

Let me know if this answers your question.

George
Old 07-30-2009, 01:58 PM
KLB

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Thanks for posting the link KLB
Not a problem. They've helped me immensely in my research as I fall into the trap of caring for my car.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:24 PM
djsk

Hey George...Quick questions before I buy the products.

I am planning to buy Chemical Guys Jet Seal 109 and put it on by hand. Can I just use a microfiber application pad? Or even the DI accessories Yellow foam applicator pad?

Also the same question for applying the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant? Can I use microfiber application pad and the yellow foam?

Thanks George.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by KLB
Not a problem. They've helped me immensely in my research as I fall into the trap of caring for my car.
Glad to hear it!

Hey George...Quick questions before I buy the products.

I am planning to buy Chemical Guys Jet Seal 109 and put it on by hand. Can I just use a microfiber application pad? Or even the DI accessories Yellow foam applicator pad?

Also the same question for applying the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant? Can I use microfiber application pad and the yellow foam?

Thanks George.
Yep, I typically use foam applicators for both products, then remove with microfiber.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

George

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image