Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 04:54 PM
TruLux

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by weaver
Greg,

What product do you recommend for washing during the winter, something waterless? This is my first winter and I want to keep the car clean. I live in Louisiana, so the coldest it gets is in the 20's.

Thanks,

Matt

I'd like to know the same thing; however I am located in NY and my G is BLACK. I know there's certain types of waxes that should be used on darker cars vs. lighter cars, so please do include this as well.

thanks!

J
Old 11-06-2012, 07:24 PM
zoner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
too much ONR?

I did a spot wash of some light bird poop and afterward the surface looked dull and rough to the touch. I only used about half a gallon of water so I guessed at the amount of ONR. Did I use too much ONR?
Old 11-11-2012, 06:59 AM
R.L. ina G37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whats going on Greg, I was going to order the 303 cleaner along with the 303 protectant for the interior but then I came across the Einszett 1Z cockpit premium. Would it be best to use the two 303 products or the Einszett alone or the Einszett and 303 protectant? I want something pretty simple.

On another note for the seats I plan on buying the Sonax leather foam, seems like a no hassle and easy applicable product, thoughts?
Old 11-11-2012, 06:29 PM
R.L. ina G37

Greg, never mind on previous post, I placed an order for the two 303 products and the sonax foam. I'm looking forward to the items and can't wait for my G's interior to shine!!!
Old 11-20-2012, 06:55 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Silver_HR
Hey Greg,

I have two things I could really use some advice on.

1. Water Spots.
I'm not sure how it happened but I have these water spots that are etched into my paint on my hood. It dews occasionally here but most times nothing happens. One time however, all of these water spots were etched into my paint. I spent a few hours today going over the hood over and over again with a random orbital and a Turtle Wax Rubbing compound. After about 5 or 6 passes in one small area it started to get back to glass but they were definitely still there. It was starting to get late so I did about four passes over the rest of the hood and they were still there when you look at an angle. I tried to take a picture but it didn't really come out.

How do I get rid of these water spots without destroying my clear coat?

2. I have no idea how it happened by the finish on the upperside of my trunk is duller than an eggshell. I made 5 passes on it with a liquid turtle Wax compound and then some older cutting compound once. Hardly seemed to make a dent.

I have linked to an album of pictures, The gatorade bottle is for comparison between my hood's finish and my trunk's. Then there's a bunch of photos showing the reflection of a flashlight on my hood compared to my trunk

2.1:How could this have happened?
2.2oes it look like I have any clear coat or is this oxidized clear coat?
2.3: What product would be best for fixing this? (If possible)

I masked the area I was working on. You can see the line between the half I was polishing and the half that I wasn't, remember, this is 4 passes with a "rubbing agent and then one with a more aggressive agent. it was Rubbing,Rubbing,Rubbing,Cutting, Rubbing.

Trunk Vs Hood - Imgur
My first advice would be to not use that compound anymore, I've played with it before and it was not ideal to say the least. Typically a washing, vinegar/water solution or a clay bar will not remove the water marks, they only works when it's a light residue on the surface. Unfortunately many water marks actually lightly etch in to the surface and in these instances you'll need a stronger option. The Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover can be used to remove light etchings that are hard to see or feel. This is a really strong cleaning formula that should be used with care. The more traditional option is to polish that area, starting with a less aggressive polish to a stronger one. I would suggest starting with medium pressure and a polish like the Menzerna SF4500 and move up to the Menzerna PF2500 if need be. If you need the PF2500 which is very common I follow up with the lighter polish to buff away any surface haze, which may be what you are seeing in some of those pics.

If the PF2500 is not enough you may need the extra power of a buffer to help work those polishes in. You could also move up to the Meguiar's M105 with a Surbuf pad but do that as a last resort.

For the glass I would use the Glass Science Glass Scrub, which does a great job of deep cleaning the exterior glass and removing water marks. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

I would imagine you have plenty of clear coat left but you could see if a local paint shop has a gauge to measure for you if you want to be certain.

I hope I answered all of your questions! If you need any new items now is a great time to stock up with our 25% off sale (code Thanks12) through 11/26, plus we have free s/h on orders over $99, no coupon code needed.

Greg @ DI
Old 11-20-2012, 07:05 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by weaver
Greg,

What product do you recommend for washing during the winter, something waterless? This is my first winter and I want to keep the car clean. I live in Louisiana, so the coldest it gets is in the 20's.

Thanks,

Matt
Good question, we have a few articles on this exact topic that may help you!

What Should I Do to Prepare My Car for the Winter? – Detailed Image
Winter Washing with Optimum No Rinse (ONR) – Detailed Image
How to Safely Wash Your Car in the Winter – Detailed Image

Check out these articles and let me know if you have any additional questions.

Greg @ DI
Old 11-20-2012, 07:09 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by TruLux
I'd like to know the same thing; however I am located in NY and my G is BLACK. I know there's certain types of waxes that should be used on darker cars vs. lighter cars, so please do include this as well.

thanks!

J
I live in upstate NY so I can relate. Same process as mentioned above in those articles is more applicable to our colder temps.

Virtually any wax or sealant can be used on any color vehicle, however some may look slightly better than others. If you're on a budget the Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax is tough to beat it's designed to really make dark paint pop and it looks outstanding. If you have the extra money the brand new Chemical Guys Black Wax is perfect for black paint. This item just got in stock today and we expect some serious demand from those with black paint! Don't forget we have 25% off (code Thanks12) through 11/26, plus we have free s/h on orders over $99, no coupon code needed. Good luck!

Greg @ DI
Old 11-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by philter25
Hey Greg,

Ive been using the poorboys wheel sealant and while I think the protection is great, its a hassle for me to use and it takes a little too long for all the spokes on the G37.

Would you recommend a spray on sealant for wheels in lieu of the poorboys wheel sealant?

Ideally Id love to find a spray on product which has very easy application and can last 2-3 months rejecting brake dust and dirt.
The Optimum Opti-Seal & Free Yellow Foam Applicator may be a good alternative for you. It applies extremely easy and very thin, but the best part is there is NO removal needed. This formula dries clear, looks great and provides solid protection. I also use this on the paint, smooth and coated trim, exhaust tips, glass and more! It's a versatile product I love having around. Just because it's a spray on product don't underestimate it's durability, I estimate it lasts 3 - 5 months on the paint, on the wheels it's less but still very good.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Old 11-20-2012, 08:55 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by zoner
I did a spot wash of some light bird poop and afterward the surface looked dull and rough to the touch. I only used about half a gallon of water so I guessed at the amount of ONR. Did I use too much ONR?
Most likely the ONR had no effect on the surface. I'm guessing it was more of an affect from the bird droppings etching the surface. I'd suggest cleaning the area and then taking a light polish like the Menzerna SF4000 or the Meguiar's M205 to it and that should clear it up. If not step up to a stronger polish like the Menzerna SI1500 or the Meguiar's M105, which should almost definitely take care of it.

I hope this helps!

Greg @ DI
Old 11-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by R.L. ina G37
Greg, never mind on previous post, I placed an order for the two 303 products and the sonax foam. I'm looking forward to the items and can't wait for my G's interior to shine!!!
Thank you for the purchase I sincerely appreciate it! I hope you enjoy the products and if you have any questions let us know.

Greg @ DI
Old 11-22-2012, 12:26 AM
zoner

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Most likely the ONR had no effect on the surface. I'm guessing it was more of an affect from the bird droppings etching the surface. I'd suggest cleaning the area and then taking a light polish like the Menzerna SF4000 or the Meguiar's M205 to it and that should clear it up. If not step up to a stronger polish like the Menzerna SI1500 or the Meguiar's M105, which should almost definitely take care of it.

I hope this helps!

Greg @ DI

Thanks Greg,

I should have said the dullness was spread over all of the surface that got wet. It disappeared after the next wash so I guess it was too much ONR and it had formed a film. Waiting for cold weather so I can test it again.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:00 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by zoner
Thanks Greg,

I should have said the dullness was spread over all of the surface that got wet. It disappeared after the next wash so I guess it was too much ONR and it had formed a film. Waiting for cold weather so I can test it again.
Thank you for the added info, my guess is the mineral deposits found in the water you washed with may have left a residue there. I guess too much ONR could have contributed too, but I've used it ridiculously concentrated before without any issues. Either way the marks must have been very light if they were removed with a wash so hopefully you're all set. If they appear again for any reason keep us posted!

Greg @ DI
Old 11-27-2012, 06:59 PM
out0focus

Dang, looks like I just missed the sale. Anyway to extend the sale by a day?
Old 01-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by out0focus
Dang, looks like I just missed the sale. Anyway to extend the sale by a day?
Sorry we generally don't extend sales. Currently we have 13% off and $4.99 s/h on orders over $50 with the code NewYear13.

Greg @ DI
Old 01-05-2013, 05:55 PM
JRW370
Registered Member

Greg,
I have a 2012 Vibrant Red G37 Vert that is our "fun" car for nice days and weekends. I gave in to the dealer's sales pitch and paid them extra for a "nano coat" sealant for the paint and wheels (haven't found out the brand yet - two-part mix took 2-3 hours to prep & apply). It comes clean with plain water washing, but it's never really been dirty - came off the showroom floor with 1 mile on the odometer and I've gotten caught in a light rain twice going to or from work. The finish has a real nice shine, but I am wanting to get more of a "show car" depth to it. I was thinking of ordering the Menzera Power Lock Polymer Sealant (FMJ?) that seems to be so popular and perhaps applying a good wax over it, but I also ran across the write-up on 22ple VXI Glass Coat and thought that might be a better solution. Which of these two would you recommend to apply over a nano sealant, or is there a different product I should be looking at?

Also, in feeling the finish with my bare finger tips as well as with a plastic bag it seems marginal whether I should clay the finish (almost all particulates there feel loose like dust and are moving around on the surface). If I do need to clay the surface, will that remove the nano coating or shorten its usefull life?

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image