Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 06:01 PM
marley702

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Greg, I accidentally went thru a car wash and had the moonroof raised up. I feel like an idiot and have a bit of a water ring/stain on the roof liner. Any ideas to get rid of the stain without replacing the whole liner? Thanks
Old 07-09-2012, 01:53 PM
kevshiau
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Hey Greg! I applied Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger sealant a couple of months ago and i know there is still some left on the paint, but I want to apply a coat of wax over it for extra protection. Should I still claybar (I'm using the nanoskin autoscrub) before I apply the wax? Will it strip off all of the sealant if i do? I plan on using natty's blue paste.

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-13-2012, 07:27 PM
J2S2M

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey Greg, do you think it would be a good idea to use SONAX full effect wheel cleaner on a stainless steel exhaust? Just a thought.. since they work so well on the grime and brake dust on wheels w/o doing any damage to any wheel coating. I thought it would work well on dirty exhaust cans as a prewash and then finish them off with the P21S metal polish.

Yey or ney??
Old 07-14-2012, 08:48 PM
Legz
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Greg, haven't heard you speak much of Zaino, can you share your thoughts a little about their products? Especially with the additive ZFX?
Old 07-18-2012, 03:32 PM
jdmposer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd like to ask about how to remove water spots that are deeper in the paint. My car is obsidian black and it seems the water spots I have are small, but etched deeper than the surface of the paint.

What do you suggest on removing these water spot imperfections. Thanks a lot for your help!
Old 08-21-2012, 08:47 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Sorry to all for the slow response.

Originally Posted by marley702
Hey Greg, I accidentally went thru a car wash and had the moonroof raised up. I feel like an idiot and have a bit of a water ring/stain on the roof liner. Any ideas to get rid of the stain without replacing the whole liner? Thanks
Not sure what exactly will work but I'd try the 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover and scrub brush. Spray the head liner, wait a minute and then agitate with medium pressure in different directions. Be careful you don't get over spray in your eyes, mouth, etc. and the same goes while using the bristle brush. Good luck!

Greg
Old 08-21-2012, 08:52 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by kevshiau
Hey Greg! I applied Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger sealant a couple of months ago and i know there is still some left on the paint, but I want to apply a coat of wax over it for extra protection. Should I still claybar (I'm using the nanoskin autoscrub) before I apply the wax? Will it strip off all of the sealant if i do? I plan on using natty's blue paste.

Thanks for your help!
If it's been a couple of months I'd wash with the Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and just remove the old sealant and start fresh. A clay bar and the autoscrub are not designed to strip off all the protection but they will help remove at least some of it. So you may as well just remove it all while washing with this shampoo. The clay bar and autoscrub serve the same basic function so I would do one or the other. After that seal and/or wax the surface for protection and to enhance the shine. The Natty's Blue on top of the BFWD should look top notch!

Greg @ DI
Old 08-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by J2S2M
Hey Greg, do you think it would be a good idea to use SONAX full effect wheel cleaner on a stainless steel exhaust? Just a thought.. since they work so well on the grime and brake dust on wheels w/o doing any damage to any wheel coating. I thought it would work well on dirty exhaust cans as a prewash and then finish them off with the P21S metal polish.

Yey or ney??

It should work great on there but as you mentioned for perfection finish it off with the P21S Metal Polish!

Greg @ DI
Old 08-21-2012, 09:03 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Legz
Hey Greg, haven't heard you speak much of Zaino, can you share your thoughts a little about their products? Especially with the additive ZFX?
I haven't used much of Zaino lately but I've used it a bit in the past. Their sealants offer good protection and a great shine. They have enjoyed a lot of success and I think a lot of it can be attributed to their site successfully producing and marketing one of the first high quality sealants. This made them really stand out a decade ago but many companies have caught and surpassed these products in my opinion. Overall they have a solid line of products that many enjoy. My complaints are that they label so many products a polish when many people would call them a sealant which adds confusion. They also seem to recommend a ton of steps that are often a bit redundant and overlapping. Lastly I wish they had some more quality polishes for swirl removal which is the most important step in the detailing process in my opinion. So in short it's a quality brand that can help any detailer but there may be better options depending on your needs. In the end if you love a particular product or brand then feel free to stick with it and use what suits you best, it's largely personal opinion. I hope this helps answer your question.

Greg @ DI
Old 08-21-2012, 09:05 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by jdmposer
I'd like to ask about how to remove water spots that are deeper in the paint. My car is obsidian black and it seems the water spots I have are small, but etched deeper than the surface of the paint.

What do you suggest on removing these water spot imperfections. Thanks a lot for your help!
Typically a washing, vinegar/water solution or a clay bar will not remove the water marks, they only works when it's a light residue on the surface. Unfortunately many water marks actually lightly etch in to the surface and in these instances you'll need a stronger option. The Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover can be used to remove light etchings that are hard to see or feel. This is a really strong cleaning formula that should be used with care. The more traditional option is to polish that area, starting with a less aggressive polish to a stronger one. I would suggest starting with medium pressure and a polish like the Meguiar's M205 and move up to the M105 if need be. If that doesn't work you may need the extra power of a buffer to help work those polishes in. With the the help of a buffer you can remove the majority of the surface imperfections from water marks and you'll also remove some of the swirls and oxidation so the entire surface looks like new again. For the glass I would use the Glass Science Glass Scrub, which does a great job of deep cleaning the exterior glass and removing water marks. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Greg @ DI
Old 09-11-2012, 12:29 AM
TheGanglyGoon

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Greg, Was curious as to what you would suggest to I guess Re-Polish the Barrels on my wheels. The chrome has aged and has a little oxidation that I would like to bring back to life. Thanks!
Old 09-19-2012, 10:12 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by TheGanglyGoon
Greg, Was curious as to what you would suggest to I guess Re-Polish the Barrels on my wheels. The chrome has aged and has a little oxidation that I would like to bring back to life. Thanks!
The P21S Finish Restorer can usually remove light oxidation and really deep clean the surface, however it sounds like a basic metal polish will not fix this situation entirely. I'm guessing if you bring them to a wheel shop they can clean off the old finish and put a new one on there for you. This will cost more but it's the only "real" solution that will likely make the wheels look new again. Sorry I don't have a quick and easy answer for you.

Greg @ DI
Old 09-30-2012, 02:27 AM
Silver_HR
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey Greg,

I have two things I could really use some advice on.

1. Water Spots.
I'm not sure how it happened but I have these water spots that are etched into my paint on my hood. It dews occasionally here but most times nothing happens. One time however, all of these water spots were etched into my paint. I spent a few hours today going over the hood over and over again with a random orbital and a Turtle Wax Rubbing compound. After about 5 or 6 passes in one small area it started to get back to glass but they were definitely still there. It was starting to get late so I did about four passes over the rest of the hood and they were still there when you look at an angle. I tried to take a picture but it didn't really come out.

How do I get rid of these water spots without destroying my clear coat?

2. I have no idea how it happened by the finish on the upperside of my trunk is duller than an eggshell. I made 5 passes on it with a liquid turtle Wax compound and then some older cutting compound once. Hardly seemed to make a dent.

I have linked to an album of pictures, The gatorade bottle is for comparison between my hood's finish and my trunk's. Then there's a bunch of photos showing the reflection of a flashlight on my hood compared to my trunk

2.1:How could this have happened?
2.2oes it look like I have any clear coat or is this oxidized clear coat?
2.3: What product would be best for fixing this? (If possible)

I masked the area I was working on. You can see the line between the half I was polishing and the half that I wasn't, remember, this is 4 passes with a "rubbing agent and then one with a more aggressive agent. it was Rubbing,Rubbing,Rubbing,Cutting, Rubbing.

Trunk Vs Hood - Imgur
Old 10-09-2012, 02:08 PM
weaver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greg,

What product do you recommend for washing during the winter, something waterless? This is my first winter and I want to keep the car clean. I live in Louisiana, so the coldest it gets is in the 20's.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 11-03-2012, 07:33 PM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Hey Greg,

Ive been using the poorboys wheel sealant and while I think the protection is great, its a hassle for me to use and it takes a little too long for all the spokes on the G37.

Would you recommend a spray on sealant for wheels in lieu of the poorboys wheel sealant?

Ideally Id love to find a spray on product which has very easy application and can last 2-3 months rejecting brake dust and dirt.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image