Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 10:24 AM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Thanks DI!!

Just took advantage of the 303 special. Also bought some waffle drying MF towels and a grit guard.

Looking forward to having some fun this weekend giving the G a nice bath.

Next I'm going to try out some VX3 Glass Coating. I have about three more weeks to go on current polish, sealer and wax job.

Sean
The following users liked this post:
Detailed Image (09-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 08:07 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by VIVID
Just took advantage of the 303 special. Also bought some waffle drying MF towels and a grit guard.

Looking forward to having some fun this weekend giving the G a nice bath.

Next I'm going to try out some VX3 Glass Coating. I have about three more weeks to go on current polish, sealer and wax job.

Sean
Nice!

I love 303 stuff myself.

Be sure you properly clean, decontaminate, polish, and use a solvent wipe before installing the 22ple VX3 coating. With proper prep, application is a breeze, and you will maximize your durability and protection.

Let me know if you've got any questions!

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
Attention to Detailing - Peoria, IL
Old 09-10-2015, 12:07 AM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Thanks Zach.

I had the car professionally washed, clayed, polished, sealed and waxed about two weeks ago. It looks flawless. That really corrected any swirls and scratches. Of course the car has 11k miles on it and always sleeps in a climate controlled garage.

Think I could get away with a good wash and dry followed by the prep solution? I understand prep is the key to success with this product.

Sean
Old 09-10-2015, 07:28 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Thanks Zach.

I had the car professionally washed, clayed, polished, sealed and waxed about two weeks ago. It looks flawless. That really corrected any swirls and scratches. Of course the car has 11k miles on it and always sleeps in a climate controlled garage.

Think I could get away with a good wash and dry followed by the prep solution? I understand prep is the key to success with this product.

Sean
Hey Sean,

My professional opinion is that the only real way to ensure all of the wax has been removed is to do a light polish on the entire vehicle. You could try to use a wax & grease remover followed by a diluted alcohol wipe down, though I have never tried that method myself.

If you're not correcting any defects, a light polish is a relatively quick & easy process.

Zach McGovern
VIVID (09-10-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 04:48 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Great product, fast ship, nicely packaged

Well I just got my stuff from DI and I must say it's great. It arrived quickly and very well packaged. (BTW Zach, do you guys think you could use any more packing peanuts? It was New Years Eve. ).

The waffle towel is better than our regular bath towels. I'm thinking of giving them as wedding linen.

Thanks,
Sean
Old 09-10-2015, 05:33 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Well I just got my stuff from DI and I must say it's great. It arrived quickly and very well packaged. (BTW Zach, do you guys think you could use any more packing peanuts? It was New Years Eve. ).

The waffle towel is better than our regular bath towels. I'm thinking of giving them as wedding linen.

Thanks,
Sean
Hahaha... unfortunately I have no part in the sales, shipment, retail side of the business as I am just hired to maintain forums and post on their blog when time allows, but you're not the first person that's made fun of the packing peanuts

In all reality it is simply due to the fact that it is much cheaper than bubble wrap, but they sure do make a mess, huh?!

Glad everything arrived quickly and safely... those guys work their butt off to get things out the door ASAP!

Zach McGovern
Old 01-03-2016, 10:24 PM
clnance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's recommended to seal wheels and keep brake dust off?
Old 01-05-2016, 08:22 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by clnance
What's recommended to seal wheels and keep brake dust off?
We've got a thread explaining a great product called CarPro HydrO2... check it out using the link below!

Protect Your Wheels in Less Than 1 Minute

Let me know if you have any other questions

Zach McGovern
Old 01-08-2016, 01:08 PM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
How would I go about finding a GOOD professional detailer? I google and search online and I tend to find those "I'll come and wash and wax your car" guys. I need a true paint correction.
TIA!
Old 01-08-2016, 02:52 PM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
Buy a used hood from a junkyard and detailing materials from the internet. All the information you need is at your fingertips.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:56 PM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by kickintheglass
Buy a used hood from a junkyard and detailing materials from the internet. All the information you need is at your fingertips.
I'd rather pay somebody for the paint correction instead of buying a hood and supplies.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:17 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by KEG97
How would I go about finding a GOOD professional detailer? I google and search online and I tend to find those "I'll come and wash and wax your car" guys. I need a true paint correction.
TIA!
Thankfully the high end detailing community is great at networking... I would highly recommend Joe at Dirty Details in Virginia Beach.

Dirty Details
Owner: Joe McGrath
Phone: 757-839-2533
Email: Info@dirtydetailsvb.com
Website: Dirty Details | Virginia Beach Auto Detailing & Salon

Let him know I sent you!

Zach McGovern
Old 02-25-2016, 12:20 PM
gman69
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
What product would you recommend for my rubber trim? Mainly my sunroof and the plastic below my windshield wipers.. I was thinking of buying either 303 Aerospace Protectant OR Mirror Glaze Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner.
Attached Thumbnails Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image-20160225_085200.jpg   Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image-20160225_085223.jpg   Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image-20160225_085230.jpg  
Old 02-25-2016, 04:37 PM
RickyBobby
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Polishing front/rear bumpers?

My gf didn't pull forward enough into the garage and closed the garage door on the bumper. Looks like just the very top layer has some scuffs on it but it didn't seem to actually scratch into the bumper.

Is it wise for my to try to polish it out and wax it first before taking extreme measures? Or is there no clear-coat on the bumper and that's a no-no?
Old 02-26-2016, 01:04 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

When you bump your car with something, or something bumps your car, or whatever... there are 2 possible outcomes in terms of paint damage.

1 - material transfer. The object (car, garage door, shopping cart, whatever) scuffs your car and leaves a mark. This mark is actually residue from the object that hit your car. In some cases it is paint transfer, other times it is actual plastic material that is transferred. In any case, it is removable!

2 - scratches. In this case the object which hit your car actually scratches into your paint. The severity of these can range from a light blemish to a deep scratch all the way down to the substrate. Light scratches are easily removed, but anything through the clear coat cannot be easily repaired except with repainting.

Example of Material Transfer

Before
Name:  20121118-DSC_0018_zpsa1e277eb.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  619.4 KB

After using M105 and M205 on a 3" dual action polisher
Name:  20121118-DSC_0021_zps65d65a84.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  569.5 KB

Hope that helps. Let me know if you've got any other questions!

Zach McGovern
RickyBobby (02-26-2016)

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image