Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 10:48 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Legz
Thanks Greg! Can you shine some light on how to take care of pleather? I know real leather will absorb oils etc from leatherique and re-soften leather again, but how about pleather?
My process is almost identical since most seats are synthetic leather (aka pleather) or you are dealing a top coating on real leather anyway. I've still had great success with the Leatherique on virtually all kinds of seats and would recommend it to you as well. If you prefer a one step process the SONAX Leather Foam is a solid choice.

Greg @ DI
Old 04-29-2012, 12:06 AM
Legz
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
There is no fool proof method, but I think your method is one of the best. I personally spray a quick detailer on my microfiber towel like the Poorboy's World Spray & Wipe (S&W). Using a thicker mf towel is also a big advantage like our DI Microfiber Ultra Plush Two Sided Towel or the DI Microfiber reTHICKulous Towel. Fold the towel and fourths and wipe with virtually no pressure. I keep refolding the towel after each section so you get eight fresh surfaces from each towel. This will usually take me 2 - 3 towels if I'm being extra careful. This should help you clean safely and not introduce new swirls. Good luck!

Greg @ DI
Greg, is there a reason why you spray quick detailer on the microfiber towel instead straight onto the car?
Old 04-30-2012, 02:32 PM
weaver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greg,

I finally washed my car yesterday and noticed it had some tree sap. Can you recommend something for that? I just had the entire car detailed with the paint and hope that it comes off pretty easy without too much damage.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 05-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Legz
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Greg, it sucks so much that you guys don't ship to Canada anymore
Old 05-02-2012, 01:29 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
sucks they stopped all intl shipping
since their competitors have intl shipping i wish detailedimage would bring it back as well. usps will ship pretty much any liquids except aerosol cans
Old 05-02-2012, 10:58 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Greg, is there a reason why you spray quick detailer on the microfiber towel instead straight onto the car?
I think both methods work fine in this instance. I'm probably just more used to spraying a product on my towel because when I work on the interior I spray the cleaner or protectant on my towel before entering the vehicle so over spray doesn't get all over. A quick detailer's over spray is essentially harmless so it's fine to spray directly on the finish.

Greg @ DI
Old 05-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Greg, it sucks so much that you guys don't ship to Canada anymore
Originally Posted by Presto
sucks they stopped all intl shipping
since their competitors have intl shipping i wish detailedimage would bring it back as well. usps will ship pretty much any liquids except aerosol cans
Sorry guys it was a tough decision about 2 - 3 years ago but we just faced too many damaged orders, customs issues, increased fraud, etc. for a relatively small percentage of our business. I feel terrible for many of our great customers but it was a necessary change that has streamlined our efforts. It's something we may bring back in the future but it will not be in the short term.

Greg @ DI
Old 05-03-2012, 06:44 AM
Ontario G37S

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Greg,

I did some searching but I couldn't find the answer. I'm a proud owner of a set of Matt Graphite Vossen rims. As for cleaning I'm good, however as for protecting them with wax, I haven't found a solution yet. I know there are many choices out there but so far all I see is glossy type wax. Since I have a matt colour I want to keep it that way.

Is there anything you could recommend?
Old 05-05-2012, 04:44 PM
ayarj12
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Greg. I worked on the headlights just as you said and they turned out great. Thanks!

I've run into a different issue. I want to de-badge the car (remove the INFINITI lettering) and the previous owner didn't take too good of care of the badges. There's dirt all in the nooks and crannies in the badges. Every time I've washed the car I've taken a paintbrush or a toothbrush and tried cleaning it off, but it still wouldn't go away. I attached a picture of the dirt.

I want to take off the letters, but I don't want a dirt outlining of the letters. Do you know any way to get rid of it?

Thanks.

Last edited by ayarj12; 06-27-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:53 PM
enshadow

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
What quick detailer would you recommend? Trying to find a new product I might like
Old 05-14-2012, 08:53 PM
texas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for Detailed Image. I tried the search and didn't find anything about this so. I noticed today that you had the Nano Skin Auto Scrubber in the Fine Foam Pad.
I've read that the medium can mar some paints so I was waiting for the fine and I see you now have it. I noticed you had a package deal for the medium with Glide and towels but for the fine you don't offer any packages. Will ONR be a good enough lubricant to use with the fine?
I am not a fan of claying so I would like to pick this up and give it a try on my truck first before it touches my car. Also I have read where you should start off on the windows to get the pad going before you start on the paint so will this be true on the fine also.
I need to get $150 so I can get free shipping and this should do it. Thanks
Old 05-15-2012, 04:37 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Ontario G37S
Hey Greg,

I did some searching but I couldn't find the answer. I'm a proud owner of a set of Matt Graphite Vossen rims. As for cleaning I'm good, however as for protecting them with wax, I haven't found a solution yet. I know there are many choices out there but so far all I see is glossy type wax. Since I have a matt colour I want to keep it that way.

Is there anything you could recommend?
Just about everything we carry would add some level of shine to the surface. The Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant is a good choice for solid protection and will last much longer than a carnauba wax. If you want extremely strong protection that can last years check out the Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 Permanent Paint Coating. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Old 05-15-2012, 04:42 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by ayarj12
Hey Greg. I worked on the headlights just as you said and they turned out great. Thanks!

I've run into a different issue. I want to de-badge the car (remove the INFINITI lettering) and the previous owner didn't take too good of care of the badges. There's dirt all in the nooks and crannies in the badges. Every time I've washed the car I've taken a paintbrush or a toothbrush and tried cleaning it off, but it still wouldn't go away. I attached a picture of the dirt.

I want to take off the letters, but I don't want a dirt outlining of the letters. Do you know any way to get rid of it?

Thanks.
If you remove the letters you should be able to remove the remaining dirt or residue very simply. First lets remove the letters, which is pretty simple. Check out this article with all the details (How Do I Remove the Car Dealership Stickers, Decals, Badges, or Emblems From My Car? – Detailed Image). In short a little floss and a blow dryer can help loosen them up so you can pull them off. Afterwards the Stoner Tarminator or a clay bar will help remove any residue. If you have any ghosting or embedded stains polishing them will remove it easily. Most likely you can do it by hand with just a light polish like the Meguiar's M205. This should leave the surface feeling extremely smooth and glossy. Lastly you can enhance the shine and protect it with any sealant or wax. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Old 05-15-2012, 04:46 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by enshadow
What quick detailer would you recommend? Trying to find a new product I might like
It really depends on what kind of quick detailer you want and your goals. There are three basic categories 1. just meant for cleaning, 2. cleaners with a little boost in shine, 3. Surface protection (usually a spray on sealant or wax). If you go to the Quick Detailer link you can filter your choices on the left hand side to the type you want. For a cleaner I love the Poorboy's World Spray & Wipe (S&W), for a gloss enhancing cleaner I like the Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer and lastly for spray on protection the Optimum Opti-Seal & Free Yellow Foam Applicator and Blackfire Wet Diamond Polymer Spray are both great.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the QD's or anything else!

Greg @ DI
Old 05-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by texas
Question for Detailed Image. I tried the search and didn't find anything about this so. I noticed today that you had the Nano Skin Auto Scrubber in the Fine Foam Pad.
I've read that the medium can mar some paints so I was waiting for the fine and I see you now have it. I noticed you had a package deal for the medium with Glide and towels but for the fine you don't offer any packages. Will ONR be a good enough lubricant to use with the fine?
I am not a fan of claying so I would like to pick this up and give it a try on my truck first before it touches my car. Also I have read where you should start off on the windows to get the pad going before you start on the paint so will this be true on the fine also.
I need to get $150 so I can get free shipping and this should do it. Thanks
Thank you for the question I'd be happy to help. The NanoSkin AutoScrub Fine Foam Pad are coming in about two weeks, hopefully less. We'll have a kit up for them with the NanoSkin Glide and microfiber towels shortly. I haven't tested out these pads with a lot of different options but you do need a very slick surface, so I'm not sure how well the ONR will work.

Greg @ DI

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image