Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 08:37 PM
Texasscout
Be Prepaired

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"If your Car is not becoming to you, you should be coming to us"

Wow, that was used by Mr. Louie's Wig City in Corpus Christi back in 1965.

"If your hair is not becoming to you, you should be coming to us"

BTW, I will be placing an order soon.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:49 PM
JOKER

Welcome to the board George

I'm in need of a quick detailing kit.
Something that will give me great shine and not going to kill my weekend.
Preferably with links to the product from your web site. I cant let that 10% discount go to waist.

Thank you.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:56 PM
CrazyRuskie
Crazy Russian Super Mod

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I need the same stuff minus the carwash. ^^
Old 03-31-2007, 10:48 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by 1slowblackG35
Okay, I'll bite on this one! I have a 2004 Obsidian Black coupe that could use some TLC. She has the infamous "swirl" marks that I just can't seem to get out myself. I don't mind laying out some dough for a quality product, because she is worth it! So, with that, what are the steps that you recommend to start getting my baby back on the right track!? Also, what type of buffer do you recommend?
Great question!

First thing I’d like to mention is investing in the proper washing and drying tools. A majority of swirls and scratches (70%+) come from using improper washing and drying products and techniques. I would suggest a sheepskin wash mitt, waffle weave drying towel(s) and a quality lubricating shampoo. The sheepskin wash mitt has the thickest pile which will pull contamination from the surface rather than pushing it around like with a sponge. The waffle weave drying towels are the safest towels to use on your paint. They are very absorbent and are safer to use than terry cloth, cotton or a chamois. Poorboy’s Super Slick & Suds is a high lubricating shampoo that helps effectively remove contamination from the surface. I’m not sure if you have these (or comparable) already, but I would suggest this Wash Kit if you are in need of some new quality wash tools and products. Once you go through the entire process on your vehicle, properly maintaining the finish is very important so you don’t waste all of your hard work.

After the washing and drying phase you would really benefit from using a clay bar. A clay bar will help remove contamination from the surface that didn’t get removed during the washing and drying phase. This can include both visible surface contamination and microscopic surface contamination (non-visible to naked eye). This will help properly prep the paint for the next steps of polishing and protecting. The next step is what will yield the most dramatic results, polishing. When your paint has imperfections such as swirls and scratches, we strongly recommend going with a two-step polishing process. The first step will act as a medium cutting polish which will remove a majority of the imperfections on the paint. After this step there may be a slight haze to your paint but not to worry, this is normal. The next step of a finishing polish will correct the haze and really begin to restore the depth and gloss in your paint. Properly polishing your vehicle will yield the most dramatic results. The process can be time consuming but well worth it in the end as it is a crucial step towards reaching a show quality finish. The next step would be a glaze, which would help fill in and hide any imperfections that were not able to be buffed out in the previous two steps, this is an optional step because it is a temporary fix to imperfections, but is a difference maker when you are looking for optimal results. I have a package put together with my favorite paint prep products (clay bar, medium polish, finishing polish and glaze) and will give you optimal results for your G35.

The polishing stages and the glaze work best with a quality random orbital buffer. Don’t get this type of buffer confused with a rotary buffer which can damage the paint more than it can correct the paint when in the wrong hands. Improper use of rotary buffers is what typically what gives the term buffers a bad name. Random orbital buffers work best in this application for multiple reasons: Using a buffer disperses heat and pressure more evenly than it does via a hand application. This yields more consistent uniform results. Arm strength and endurance can diminish quickly when applying and removing coat after coat by hand, leaving you with blotchy or uneven areas on the car. This is one of the reasons why the buffer will save you time and energy. When you start doing multi-step processes to the paints finish it can be a toll on an individual, especially when you are polishing. By using a buffer, the machine does most of the work and you just have to guide it along. Aside from saving you time and energy, the best thing about using a quality buffer is you will achieve better results. If you are going to be doing the steps outlined in this email or a majority of them, we suggest going with the Porter Cable Advanced Kit to give you everything you would need to properly buff your vehicle. The Porter Cable is considered to be the standard random orbital in the detailing industry, cheaper buffers often do not generate enough power to properly break down the polishes or can often have proprietary pads or backing plates. Another quality buffer worth mentioning is the Cyclo.

Back to the routine... At this point your paint will be glistening and the clear coat will be in its best condition, but your missing one thing, protection. There are two ways to tackle protecting your vehicle, using a sealant and / or using a wax. Each has its own pro’s and con’s which I will outline for you. Sealants are the more durable of the two forms of protection. They typically will give you 3 – 6+ months of protection and look more reflective in nature (like a mirror). Waxes typically give you 2 – 8 weeks of protection, but add a layer of dimension that synthetic sealants are not able to achieve. Waxes will really enhance the gloss and depth and give it more of a wet look, or hard candy type effect. You can use either of these products independently of each other or you can use them together to achieve the best of both worlds. For a quality sealant and wax combination, I love the ease of use and the finish of Menzerna FMJ and P21s Concours Carnauba Wax. A great bang for the buck alternative that I really enjoy as well is Poorboy's EX-P Sealant and Poorboy's Natty's Blue Paste Wax.

I encourage you to read up on our How-To Section to get some even more detailed information on what was outlined above and also some instructions on how to work with the buffer.

I know this is a lot to digest and I'll be expecting some questions. We can certainly tweak the products and process to fit your needs but this would be an ideal detail for your G35. I’ve had a lot of luck with the Menzerna line of products with the Infiniti clear coats.

Enjoy!

George Dushensky
Old 03-31-2007, 11:20 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by aszatk01
welcome to the board!
no questions for the moment but i'm sure i'll have some soon.
nice offer also, sucks i JUST ordered Poorboys wheel sealant
Thanks for the welcome, we greatly appreciate the support.

Next time you'll have to put that coupon code to use! We'll have some great deals to offer everyone in the community. I'll be putting up some new specials for April tomorrow as well as a new contest to win some free products.

Originally Posted by superchargedg
welcome to the forum george,i've followed your advice on fresh alloy for quite a while.
Thanks superchargedg, nice to see you on here as well.

Originally Posted by picus112
I know this George guy, real smarmy character. Always taking my money and sending me chemicals in the mail... sneaky. Watch out for him..
It's about time I saw you chime in here...
More chemicals are in the mail as we speak, business must be well!

Originally Posted by Nismo G
Welcome to the boards! Thanks for the 10% discount for all of the members here, im sure you will be recieving alot of orders from all of us.

-sean
Thanks for the welcome Sean. We really hope to help improve everyones understanding of detailing so they can choose the proper process and products to best fit your detailing goals and objectives.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:37 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Texasscout
"If your Car is not becoming to you, you should be coming to us"

Wow, that was used by Mr. Louie's Wig City in Corpus Christi back in 1965.

"If your hair is not becoming to you, you should be coming to us"

BTW, I will be placing an order soon.
My mom came up with the idea to use that, she gets the credit We look forward to help improve your detailing results.

Originally Posted by JOKER
Welcome to the board George

I'm in need of a quick detailing kit.
Something that will give me great shine and not going to kill my weekend.
Preferably with links to the product from your web site. I cant let that 10% discount go to waist.

Thank you.
Joker, thank you for the support! If I were to put together a bare essentials kit for those who detail on a tight time schedule, this would be my choice.

Wash Kit - This will give you all the proper tools and products you need to minimize adding imperfections during the washing and drying phase and effectively removing contamination.

Klasse All-In-One - This is a quality 2 in 1 product that will chemically clean and polish your paint, while removing oxidation and other minor imperfections. It also strips off previous waxes and sealants, while leaving behind a layer of protection that can last between 3 - 4 months.

Menzerna High Gloss Acrylic Shield - This product can be used on top of Klasse AIO to help extend its durability and enhance the depth and gloss.

It works great right after a wash and applying it to the vehicle while it is still wet, so that you dry and protect in one step, saving you time during your maintenance washes.

I suggest using the Klasse All In One at least once a season to ensure proper coverage and protection on your vehicle. The High Gloss Acrylic Shield can be used as often as you wish, preferably after washes for maintenance. You can probably get to the point where you can detail your exterior on your G in under an hour while still performing proper paint safe procedures.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Originally Posted by vstrizheus
I need the same stuff minus the carwash. ^^
Sounds good, read over the above post and let me know if you have any questions on anything.

Thanks everyone for such a warm welcome, I'm excited to be here on G35Driver!!!

George @ Detailed Image
Old 04-01-2007, 12:07 AM
Texasscout
Be Prepaired

I think you're going to be a real popular guy here...
Old 04-01-2007, 06:54 PM
Queenskid24

Hi how are you? i wanted to ask you a couple of questions having to do with the products that i generally use on my Black G coupe. For a while now i have been using the 3 step Meguiars products which include( 1st. Paint Cleaner, 2. Polish, 3. Carnuba wax.), the thing is that i have swirl marks on the car and theyre ALL OVER, this is something i have tried to remove ever since i bought the car, but to no avail. I cant use a buffer because its not allowed for me to work in my garage where i live, so my question to you is which products can i use on my G to finally get rid of the swirls & light scratches by hand? Is Meguiars good for what i want or should i go for another company?. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:33 PM
picus112

Originally Posted by Texasscout
I think you're going to be a real popular guy here...
I'm glad. I very rarely recommend online shops because it's hard to find one that is consistently reliable with good prices and good customer service, but I've been using DI for going on a year now with no problems, and have never heard a complaint about them.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:26 PM
07 G35S Sedan

Originally Posted by Queenskid24
Hi how are you? i wanted to ask you a couple of questions having to do with the products that i generally use on my Black G coupe. For a while now i have been using the 3 step Meguiars products which include( 1st. Paint Cleaner, 2. Polish, 3. Carnuba wax.), the thing is that i have swirl marks on the car and theyre ALL OVER, this is something i have tried to remove ever since i bought the car, but to no avail. I cant use a buffer because its not allowed for me to work in my garage where i live, so my question to you is which products can i use on my G to finally get rid of the swirls & light scratches by hand? Is Meguiars good for what i want or should i go for another company?. Thanks in advance.
I have an 07 Black G35S Sedan with the same issue due to the dealership washing the vehicle when I took it in for service. Also already taken it twice back to the dealer to have them detail it at there expense to supposedly fix the swirls / scratches. Let me know what you final end up using to remedy the problem. Good luck!
Old 04-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Queenskid24

Originally Posted by 07 G35S Sedan
I have an 07 Black G35S Sedan with the same issue due to the dealership washing the vehicle when I took it in for service. Also already taken it twice back to the dealer to have them detail it at there expense to supposedly fix the swirls / scratches. Let me know what you final end up using to remedy the problem. Good luck!
yea that sucks man, i picked up my car at night when i first bought it, so i didnt even notice the swirls until a week or so after. then it just got worse and worse. Im hoping i could find something to finally get them off or at least fill them in VERY well.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:15 PM
Infinite1

Welcome to the board George! Look forward to being bugged by this detailing newbie!

1) Just to start that off....I have a question about claying...I understand we're supposed to wash and dry the car before claying however, is it possible to clay the car right after the final rinse down of the car? I can't remember too well but I think I read somewhere you can use soapy water while claying. Please let me know if i am incorrectly informed

2) I've been using Meguiar's products for a while now and for the price it seems to work fine...Any other products you'd recommend for a Black Coupe? I'm looking for something to last this Hot/Humid Texas weather. TIA!

Again, Welcome to the boards!

Ryan
Old 04-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

I cant use a buffer because its not allowed for me to work in my garage where i live, so my question to you is which products can i use on my G to finally get rid of the swirls & light scratches by hand? Is Meguiars good for what i want or should i go for another company?. Thanks in advance.
Good questions. When detailers are looking for the highest possible finish while detailing by hand, I strongly encourage looking into the Lake Country Hand Applicator Kit. This will give you the ability to customize the applicator pad to the level of aggressiveness needed to get the job done. It comes with a yellow cutting pad, a white polishing pad, a black finishing pad and a blue fine finishing pad. The hand applicator will help evenly distribute the heat and pressure giving you more consistent results while maximizing your results.

As far as products, you could try the paint kit you have. Meguiars does make some good products, particularly their Professional Mirror Glaze line up. I'd suggest looking into those or some of the 3M Polishes to help remove swirls and imperfections with a product you can easily find at a local auto parts store. If you wanted to order some polishes through Detailed Image, I'd suggest looking at the Menzerna polishes with the hand applicator kit, specifically the Intensive Polish and Final Polish II.

Let us know how you make out.

Originally Posted by 07 G35S Sedan
I'd suggest reading over this post on caring for black paint or the above answer to Queenskid24 if you would like to tackle the project by hand. I'd strongly suggest investing in a Porter Cable if you are looking to take your detailing to the next level. Remember once you have cleaned up your paint, its important to invest in quality washing and drying tools to help minimize adding future imperfections in your paint.

Originally Posted by Infinite1
Welcome to the board George! Look forward to being bugged by this detailing newbie!

1) Just to start that off....I have a question about claying...I understand we're supposed to wash and dry the car before claying however, is it possible to clay the car right after the final rinse down of the car? I can't remember too well but I think I read somewhere you can use soapy water while claying. Please let me know if i am incorrectly informed
Ryan, great to hear from you. Good questions. Some detailers will clay bar their vehicles, while the surface is still wet from a final rinse. I still recommend keeping a spray bottle of water and shampoo mixture handy to add additional lubrication as you glide the clay over the surface. The reason I don't like using this method is it can be difficult to determine which areas have and haven't been clayed. I'll also recommend a rewash to make sure you get the suds and residue off when doing this method. If you go the "traditional" route of washing then drying then claying in sections and removing the clay lube residue with a microfiber towel, you typically do not have to re-wash.

Originally Posted by Infinite1
2) I've been using Meguiar's products for a while now and for the price it seems to work fine...Any other products you'd recommend for a Black Coupe? I'm looking for something to last this Hot/Humid Texas weather. TIA!

Again, Welcome to the boards!

Ryan
"If its not broke, don't fix it."

If you're happy with the results from Meguiar's products, I'd suggest sticking with them. Everyone is going to have their opinions on products and you can easily get into a slippery slope where you feel like you have to try every product on the market (at least I have lol). I of course have my personal favorites and recommendations, and have some products I like better than others on specific colors, clear coats, etc. I think a lot of it depends on your goals and objectives as well. If you are entering concours shows, you certainly are going to have a different approach than someone with a daily driver who only wants to detail their vehicle twice a year.

If you'd like to go more in depth on what you would like to achieve from your details I'd be happy to give you my suggestions.

Thank you all once again for the great positive feedback and support. Detailed Image is proud to be a new sponsor on G35Driver.

George @ Detailed Image
Old 04-02-2007, 04:48 PM
redlude97

Its nice to have a detailer that gives unbiased answers to alot of questions, some seem to push their products only and think they are the best, but that certainly isn't a problem here.
Do you have a good recommendation for a matte exterior protectant for trim that doesn't run onto the paint after some rain? Pretty much everything i've tried does (mother's b2b, 303 etc.)
Old 04-02-2007, 05:04 PM
Texasscout
Be Prepaired

I cant use a buffer because its not allowed for me to work in my garage where i live
What kind of draconian CCR's do you have in your homeowners association?

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image