Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 11:08 PM
I nJoy Rice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about polishes. Can I clay bar, polish, then wax?
Old 03-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
guys I just purchased this CarPro Iron X Soap Gel and figured I would give it a try, I was just curious to whether or not I can use this in my foam gun? would it be as effective? thanks
Old 03-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Tonewheel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went the typical route on my new '12 G37XS...

After two coats of Klasse SG, I applied a topping of P21S. Looks killer!
Now I know the SG is going to last much longer than the P21S top coat. So my question is, two months from now, can I simply apply another coat or two of SG, or do I need to first use Klasse AIO to ensure the remnants of the P21S are completely gone?

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2012, 06:17 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by oro
I've got a predicament with my Zele Titanium exhaust and shift **** (Both are burnt titanium, don't want to lose the burnt finish), the shift **** looks horribly dull as is the exhaust, I've looked around at what to use to clean it and give it, its shiny luster again, but for the most part, on multiple forums I hear WD40 or Alcohol and you're outta luck from there, any product or input on keeping these things looking nice and new?
For regular maintenance cleanings I would use the Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer on the shift **** and for the exterior just wash it like you would the rest of the vehicle. For deeper cleanings I would use a metal polish like the Optimum Metal Polish. This polish is very mild yet very effective so it should help clean and shine the surface. However just to be safe with any new product I'd test it on a small non visible area first just to be completely safe.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Old 03-19-2012, 06:18 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Alpha Ice
Thanks for being an active member on the forums, happy to support ya and awesome selection of products!
Thank you for the kind words I wish I was able to get on here more often, but unfortunately I've been extremely busy lately. As always if you need anythign don't hesitate to ask!

Greg @ DI
Old 03-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Taktix1

New Products

Greg,

Long time member of myg37, don't even have a G37 anymore but I still come back here for your advice! Are there any new products on your site that you recommend? I bought Menz FMJ a while back and am starting to run out, I don't see it on the site anymore and wanted to see if you had anything that was new from them that was the equivalent. Right now I am using:

CG Maxi Suds II for washing
Fine Grade Clay
CG EZ Creme Glaze
Menz FMJ Sealant
P21S Concours Wax (or Dodo Juice Light Fantastic)

I currently drive a white car. Are there any products that you would swap out of my list to improve anything and mesh well together? Please keep in mind I do not own a PC Buffer so everything needs to be able to be applied by hand. Thanks!!
Old 03-19-2012, 06:42 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Taktix1
Gregg,
Any idea what product will help me get rid of this? This is my GF's car. She attempted to jump start her friends car today and accidently mixed up the positive/negative connections. The jumper cable literally burned into her bumper (as you can see from the picture). Thankfully she didn't mess her whole car up. I just want to get the black/white cable part off her headlight and bumper and prob try some touch up paint afterwards. Any help would be appreciated!!
Wow....thankfully it sounds like she was not hurt either. I doubt there is much you can do detailing wise to fix that. It looks like it literally burned the surface and melted some of that area. If you want to try something I'd wash, clay and polish it but it's highly doubtful this will fix it. It looks like a body shop will be your best bet, sorry I can't be more helpful.

Greg @ DI
Old 03-19-2012, 09:20 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by I nJoy Rice
What about polishes. Can I clay bar, polish, then wax?
It really depends on your specific goals, budget, vehicle, etc. but I'll outline one of my favorite combos that works in just about any situation.

Wash and Dry
Most swirls come from this process so be sure to use good technique and quality products. If you need to upgrade your products check out these kits:
DI Packages Washing and Drying Basic Kit
DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package

Clay Bar
Helps deep clean the paint.
DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube

Polish
This is the step where you actually remove the swirls for good and restore that like new shine again!
Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 - Lake Country Orange Light Cutting Pad 2x
Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 - Lake Country White Polishing Pad 2x

Sealant
Protect the shine and enhance it!
Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger - Lake Country Blue Fine Finishing Pad 1x

Wax
A sealant provides more than enough protection and an outstanding shine so you can certainly stop there. If you want the maximum gloss apply a wax on top of the sealant.
Poorboy's World Liquid Natty's Blue Wax - Lake Country Blue Fine Finishing Pad

Hand remove all of these products with CLEAN microfiber towels. I highly recommend picking up about 5x - 10x DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel.

If you have any questions please check out our detailing guide or ask me I'd be happy to help! Don't forget we have 25% off through 3/22 with the code Spring12, but it doesn't apply to DI Packages, tools and sale items.

Greg @ DI
Old 03-19-2012, 09:44 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Goonz
guys I just purchased this CarPro Iron X Soap Gel and figured I would give it a try, I was just curious to whether or not I can use this in my foam gun? would it be as effective? thanks
Thank you for the purchase, the Soap Gel is a great product. I do believe it would work in the foam gun but it would be a bit expensive to put in there to be properly concentrated. It may come out too diluted and not effectively break down the iron deposits. I would probably recommend against it unless you were willing to put at least several ounces in the reservoir on setting E. So in general a traditional hand application is probably more cost effective but both option can work.

Greg @ DI
Old 03-19-2012, 09:47 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Tonewheel
I went the typical route on my new '12 G37XS...

After two coats of Klasse SG, I applied a topping of P21S. Looks killer!
Now I know the SG is going to last much longer than the P21S top coat. So my question is, two months from now, can I simply apply another coat or two of SG, or do I need to first use Klasse AIO to ensure the remnants of the P21S are completely gone?

Thanks!
A good wax will last roughly 3 - 8 weeks and usually it's closer to the short end. Therefore after two months it's safe to say the vast majority of the wax will be gone, so you can apply the SG again without the AIO. I would recommend every 6 months or so that you start fresh with AIO. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Old 03-19-2012, 09:52 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Taktix1
Greg,

Long time member of myg37, don't even have a G37 anymore but I still come back here for your advice! Are there any new products on your site that you recommend? I bought Menz FMJ a while back and am starting to run out, I don't see it on the site anymore and wanted to see if you had anything that was new from them that was the equivalent. Right now I am using:

CG Maxi Suds II for washing
Fine Grade Clay
CG EZ Creme Glaze
Menz FMJ Sealant
P21S Concours Wax (or Dodo Juice Light Fantastic)

I currently drive a white car. Are there any products that you would swap out of my list to improve anything and mesh well together? Please keep in mind I do not own a PC Buffer so everything needs to be able to be applied by hand. Thanks!!
Glad to hear you are still coming back for advice. Don't forget you can always e-mail me directly (see signature). The Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection is what I would use to replace the FMJ which is now gone. It's my favorite sealant because of it's incredible shine and protection. The FMJ is slicker but this is more durable and overall a better choice that will work the CG EZ Cremem Glaze too. Otherwise I think your product selection is outstanding and should help make the white paint pop very nicely. If you ever want to try a new wax the Dodo Juice Supernatural Wax is a great choice. The depth is excellent but what separates this wax in my opinion is the remarkable clarity of the gloss.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Greg @ DI
Old 03-20-2012, 12:29 AM
enshadow

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have a malbec black finish on my car which is like a black but also red/purplish color. I use chemical guy black light Hybrid radiant finish and then finish it with Chemical guy hybrid v7 sealant. I was just wondering do you have any suggestions to use for the color of my car or is what I'm using be fine?
Old 03-22-2012, 12:01 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by enshadow
I have a malbec black finish on my car which is like a black but also red/purplish color. I use chemical guy black light Hybrid radiant finish and then finish it with Chemical guy hybrid v7 sealant. I was just wondering do you have any suggestions to use for the color of my car or is what I'm using be fine?
I don't see any issues with those products and they should produce a great shine. If you want to try something different down the road the Dodo Juice Purple Haze Soft Wax or the Poorboy's World Natty's Red Paste Wax would be two great choices. Keep us posted on the results with the combo you listed.

Greg @ DI
Old 03-24-2012, 04:27 AM
MACKEV

Greg great info and I love the Menzerna products you deal almost as much as the SPRING12 sale! Just applied 2 coats of PowerLock at 24 hour intervals, would a coat of Nattys Blue take away from the gloss of the Powerlock, enhance it, or is it even necessary?

thanks for the expertise!

Kevin
Old 03-28-2012, 10:28 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by MACKEV
Greg great info and I love the Menzerna products you deal almost as much as the SPRING12 sale! Just applied 2 coats of PowerLock at 24 hour intervals, would a coat of Nattys Blue take away from the gloss of the Powerlock, enhance it, or is it even necessary?

thanks for the expertise!

Kevin
Kevin,

Thank you for the support I appreciate it. The Power Lock looks fantastic by itself and has a very shinny reflection in my opinion. A wax is not necessary but some people feel the added protection and added gloss is worth it. This is largely a matter of personal opinion based on perception so it's hard to provide a universal answer. I certainly don't think it would take away from the finish as it can only help. If you have the time I'd say go for it and try it out. You can also use this wax by itself in between full details to get that deep gloss back with just one coat to get many uses out of it. Hope this helps!

Greg @ DI

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image