Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
It's one of those "why didn't I do this sooner?" mods
exactly!
Old 06-02-2016, 08:44 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I think you were trying to post something clever there, Brad.

"Access to psx-scene.com was denied. You don't have authorization to view this page."
lol, guess that's what happens when you forget to preview post

Fixed
Old 06-02-2016, 01:31 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Hahaha... Exactly!

I'm considering just going with the tranny mount, but curious to know if anyone's done this mod on an Auto yet?
Old 06-02-2016, 01:36 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
I'm considering just going with the tranny mount, but curious to know if anyone's done this mod on an Auto yet?
Here on the G Forum, you would be the first, AFAIK. I know slartibartfast is also interested, but hasn't moved on it yet.

All kinds of discussion about this mount over here: https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ion-mount.html

And two different mounts to choose from.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:28 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Still changing my own oil... One of the few jobs that I actually DIY.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:35 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts

I absolutely hate changing my oil on ramps, can never get enough leverage on the oil filter.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
I absolutely hate changing my oil on ramps, can never get enough leverage on the oil filter.
That's not a problem with these, and one of the reasons I use them.

Smallest damn oil filter I've ever seen in my life, too. Still LOL every time I'm reminded how diminutive our filters are.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:20 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Nice to see fresh pics J, even if it is up on ramps
Hmmm, never had a problem getting filters off on these cars, but that K&N end nut does simplify things. FWIW I always use the M56 V8 filters, just don't understand why they use thimbles as filters on our 330 hp motors????
Old 06-08-2016, 07:15 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

I find this quite funny, John... Not that you are changing your own oil (that's great), but the fact that you change your own oil and that's pretty much the only thing that I don't DIY. I've had my full suspension off more times than I can count, had my full exhaust off (including cats) several times, and have even had my tranny out, ... I rebuilt the engine on my Porsche about two years ago and rebuilt it's soft top as well, and actually just spent Sunday changing the ball joints on my Jeep this past weekend. However, changing my own oil just isn't enjoyable and isn't really worth my time... It costs me about $65 for a full synthetic oil change, which means I only pay around $30 for labor. Saving $30 is definitely not worth an hour of my time or even a 1/2 hour for that matter. Plus the place I go for my oil changes does a free hand car wash... although I don't let them wash the G, but they do give me a rain check for a free wash for one of my other cars.

Props to you, though, for keeping things "old school" and still changing your own oil.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:37 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Incidentally, just noticed your little "helper board" in front of the ramps. Guessing that gives you just enough boost so your front bumper will clear the ramps on the way up... Good idea!
Old 06-08-2016, 08:03 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Incidentally, just noticed your little "helper board" in front of the ramps. Guessing that gives you just enough boost so your front bumper will clear the ramps on the way up... Good idea!
Yep, that's exactly what that is. It's just enough added clearance, otherwise the bumper crushes into thos ramps. I really, really want a decent pair or racing ramps, but they're so damn expensive for something I only use a few times a year. Still... they're on my list, so someday.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:42 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
It costs me about $65 for a full synthetic oil change, which means I only pay around $30 for labor. Saving $30 is definitely not worth an hour of my time or even a 1/2 hour for that matter.
I'd pay $30 to get an hour to myself on a Saturday, in the garage, with a 'fridge full of beer, and no "Daddy?" or "Hey Honey...."

I really, really want a decent pair or racing ramps, but they're so damn expensive for something I only use a few times a year. Still... they're on my list, so someday.
Care to share what ramps you're got on your mental list?

I have a old pair of stamped steel ramps my Dad bought at Kmart in the 70's--the same ones he used to launch his Oldsmobile through the garage wall--and some DIY 2x12 ramps. I want to upgrade.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:47 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I'd pay $30 to get an hour to myself on a Saturday, in the garage, with a 'fridge full of beer, and no "Daddy?" or "Hey Honey...."
I have a very uncomplicated life, with a wonderful wife and two great kids. I also live in a very modest house without any serious expenses, and I work out of my home at a job I really enjoy. There really isn't much stress in my life, and I have lots of time to myself.

Unlike 2GoRNot2G, who's like Activity Superman (LOL), things are pretty simple around here. I walk the dog at least twice a day.

Care to share what ramps you're got on your mental list?
Either the RR-56: 56 inch car service ramps - A Car Ramp Favorite!

...or the two-piece RR-56-2: Two Piece 56 inch Car Service Ramps

Either one would be 1" higher than my current ramps, which is certainly a good thing. Obviously longer, which means no more bother with the plank. And 3" wider without the edge, which means the summer tires will fit. Right now, my front summers are squeezed into the ridges, and I simply can't get those wide rear tires on the ramps. That just doesn't work.

$203 shipped with Amazon Prime... damn. If I keep thinking about this, I'll probably buy them this year.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:19 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
That's not a problem with these, and one of the reasons I use them.

Smallest damn oil filter I've ever seen in my life, too. Still LOL every time I'm reminded how diminutive our filters are.

Yeah, small filter until you get an oil cooler. Then you need to source the world's largest Fram oil filter that I think was last used on a Mitsubishi 25 years ago. At least I have few places locally that source the filter.

I get to use a lift at work, but if you have a decent jack and jack stands you should be able to get plenty of room if you jack up one side.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:31 PM
SomeName
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Nice to see fresh pics J, even if it is up on ramps
Hmmm, never had a problem getting filters off on these cars, but that K&N end nut does simplify things. FWIW I always use the M56 V8 filters, just don't understand why they use thimbles as filters on our 330 hp motors????
Thanks for the tip about the larger filter blnewt. Will definitely go to that next time. I'm glad my phone skipped to the newest post on this thread. I'm only up to page 78. #man'snovel

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G