Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 01:10 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Well, Mike... I've got a Z1 Transmission mount and TWM Short Shifter sitting here in the corner of my office, waiting patiently for an install next month. Matched with the RJM Clutch Pedal assembly, and a teardrop titanium shift ****, it should be a pretty unique driving experience.

You're welcome to tool around the park in it.

But I hear ya... an opportunity to drive a 6MT G37 with the 4.083 gears would be priceless. There's always the chance it's no bueno for me. And according to my revised plans, the gears are now a 2017 mod. (sigh)

What's the OEM ratio in a G37S 6MT Sedan? I've considered this mod, but my car came with a 3.69 rear end since it's an '08 5AT... so I'm not sure how much of a difference the 4.08 gear swap would make seeing as that's less than 10% change. Also not sure I want my RPM's to be any higher than they already are on the freeway.

Originally Posted by Falker11
Thanks for the tips guys - will def take note.

Any reason you went with B2 spacers instead of H&R or another brand?

Price the main factor or something else you considered?

Not trying to dissuade you from getting spacers from B2 or H&R, but I purchased 20mm spacers from an ebay seller here in CA years ago and was very happy with the quality. They were considerably cheaper than any of the "name brand" spacers and were still fully hub-centric and were the bolt-on style that don't require longer studs to be installed, as John mentioned. Incidentally, I've also run spacers from Ichiba and H&R on other cars in the past and can't complain about either of those brands.

They are still available for around $40 / pair on ebay, but you can also get them in black now for $49.99 / pair! I wish they had the black option when I bought them, as I painted the edges of mine black so they weren't so noticeable.

20mm 5x114 3 Hubcentric Black Wheel Spacers for 66 1 Nissan Infiniti 12x1 25 | eBay

P.S. Please ignore my puny OEM non-Akebono brakes.

Name:  P1000869.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  125.8 KB
Name:  P1000897.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  113.5 KB
Name:  P1000901.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  103.7 KB
The following users liked this post:
bikezilla (05-24-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 01:15 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
What's the OEM ratio in a G37S 6MT Sedan? I've considered this mod, but my car came with a 3.69 rear end since it's an '08 5AT...
Same 3.692, that hasn't changed.

No, I am 100% solid on the want, just fickle on the schedule and finances.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:18 PM
lobuzz311
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts
I was 100% when the discussion was mainly from AT members, for whom the effective torque increase is about 20%. When I realized that it was only about 10% from the 6MT gearing, I was much less excited about it... 10% is nice, and I'm sure you'd notice it, but it's not going to be as eye-opening as it would be for an auto.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:26 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
I'm torn on gears, and it's one of the reasons I continue to kick the can on getting my rear differential bushing replaced.

On one hand, it sounds like a no-brainer to upgrade to the 4.08s while they have everything apart. On the other hand, the reviews are very mixed, and it's not cheap for the parts and installation.

Over the the 370Z board, guys say the car becomes a lot harder to launch, and yet they are only picking up .2-.3 seconds in the 1/4. I don't race, so I'm not the gains are worth the added difficulty of getting up and going quickly.

IDGAF about some extra revs on the highway or reduced mpg.

4.08 FD difference? - Page 2 - Nissan 370Z Forum

stock (on a really good night): 13.1 @ 105 mph w/ 1.89 60ft
4.08's + a few bolt-on's (on a warm night) = 12.8 @ 109 mph w/ 1.92 60ft
Old 05-03-2016, 10:31 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Just dropped off parts and instructions at the shop, and went over them with my mechanic. Scheduled installation of the Z1 Transmission Mount and the TWM STS for next Monday.

Old 05-07-2016, 04:20 PM
Rochester
Administrator

STS Prep

This afternoon, I removed the center console, in prep for Monday's install. Now that I'm looking at it, if I were willing to climb under to the center of the car to get at the lower connection, then I absolutely could DIY this project. However, since I'm chicken sheet about that, I'm going to have my mechanic take care of the STS install while he's doing the transmission mount swap.

While it's at the shop, I swapped in my OEM ****, the one that I destroyed when removing it the year before last. The **** is actually fine, it's just the leather that got ripped off both sides. IDK why I kept it, but now I'm glad I did.

Kind of weird, looking through the hole in the floor, seeing the drive-shaft, the cat-back, the floor of my garage... LOL

Old 05-07-2016, 05:30 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
This afternoon, I removed the center console, in prep for Monday's install. Now that I'm looking at it, if I were willing to climb under to the center of the car to get at the lower connection, then I absolutely could DIY this project. However, since I'm chicken sheet about that, I'm going to have my mechanic take care of the STS install while he's doing the transmission mount swap.

While it's at the shop, I swapped in my OEM ****, the one that I destroyed when removing it the year before last. The **** is actually fine, it's just the leather that got ripped off both sides. IDK why I kept it, but now I'm glad I did.

Kind of weird, looking through the hole in the floor, seeing the drive-shaft, the cat-back, the floor of my garage... LOL

Alot cleaner than mine was lol. But looks good! Hope you're saving money doing part of the mechanics job!
Old 05-07-2016, 08:03 PM
Falker11
Premier Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
wow - didn't realize you need to take the whole console out all the way back to the arm rest. I guess it's all one piece?
Old 05-07-2016, 08:17 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Falker11
wow - didn't realize you need to take the whole console out all the way back to the arm rest. I guess it's all one piece?
It is. It looks more intimidating than it is. Once you learn how to do it, you can pop that sucker off in under 10 min.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:59 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jonesmeister11
It is. It looks more intimidating than it is. Once you learn how to do it, you can pop that sucker off in under 10 min.
Yep, that's exactly right.

There are instructions in the FSM. It seems daunting, but really isn't. I put the various bolts in seperate labled bags, but there aren't that many. The most awkward thing is the parking brake. You're supposed to loosen it, but turns out I didn't have to, just pulled it up tight.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:27 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Brake Handle Boot?

Now that all these parts are laid out on my wife's dining room table ...

...I have a better opportunity to look at this idea that I've been nursing for a while. Last winter, I replaced my shifter boot. After the upgrade, I kept my old vinyl boot, just for this reason. I think (???) it might look fine as a boot for the p-brake handle.

Not convinced until I start putting things back together, but just lining things up here... I think it's got possibilities.

If it works, then the longer goal would be to replace it with perforated leather matching the new boot. But first things first.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:40 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 256 Likes on 228 Posts
Cool

...I have a better opportunity to look at this idea that I've been nursing for a while. Last winter, I replaced my shifter boot. After the upgrade, I kept my old vinyl boot, just for this reason. I think (???) it might look fine as a boot for the p-brake handle.

Not convinced until I start putting things back together, but just lining things up here... I think it's got possibilities.

If it works, then the longer goal would be to replace it with perforated leather matching the new boot. But first things first.

Rochester....the undisputed detail KING of all G's. Bow and show your allegiance.

Everything is coming along nicely. I see you've been keeping busy.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:42 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Damn good idea! Please keep you're idea posted. I still have mine. I was a little disappoint to get my 2011 and see the handbrake is exactly the same as my 2003 G35's 😂😂😂
Old 05-08-2016, 02:55 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts

I'd love to see this work. I still have my unused redline replacement boot so I could have a matched set

Looking forward to your feedback on the trans mount. It's one of the last mods on my list.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:11 PM
Falker11
Premier Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
What a mother's day gift

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G