Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 09:29 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Looking forward to hear first impressions on the STS + Z1 mount.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:19 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
This afternoon, I removed the center console, in prep for Monday's install. Now that I'm looking at it, if I were willing to climb under to the center of the car to get at the lower connection, then I absolutely could DIY this project. However, since I'm chicken sheet about that, I'm going to have my mechanic take care of the STS install while he's doing the transmission mount swap.

Hey if you got this far the rest of the shifter install is pretty easy. I would say go for it!
Old 05-09-2016, 11:51 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Just got back from the shop. He installed the shifter and transmission mount for $137, which IMO is totally fair. I'll have some pictures and assessment over the next few days... however, obviously there are some first impressions.
The shift pattern is short. Very, very short. Like, Holy Sheet!!! kind of short. (I love it!)

The feel of the shifter is a little more mechanical when gears are clicking into place, rather than "thunking" into gear, if that makes any sense. I also like this change. Very nice.

There is almost no movement of the shifter, most likely due to the transmission mount. It is solid as a rock when in gear. In theory, this should make shifting more smooth, but since it's all so new right now, I can't say.

I believe there is added noise/vibration at certain points on the way down the Tach, but it's really hard to tell if you're driving around with a hole in the floor. I need to put everything back together, because there's all kinds of noise, and heat and blowing air, etc. Vibrations and noises that you just wouldn't hear otherwise. I have to say, it really destroys the mood and the mystique of the car when there's a big hole in the floor, LOL.
So: $200 for the mount, $250 for the shifter and $137 installed... was this worth $587? Oh heck yeah, it was. Of that I have no doubt.

More later.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:55 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Oh, and my lower shift boot was in tatters. IDK how long I've been driving around with that destroyed, but I have to replace it.

And there's a small power-steering leak. Suppose I need to research that.

Otherwise, all underside considerations for the car are rock solid. Exhaust, suspension, etc. Looking good.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:04 PM
VenomGT9
Registered Member

Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts
The leak will most likely come from the axle...had a similar issue on my Audi but when the fluid got low there would be a small "groan" when turning...replaced the half shaft w/ boot and all good now
Old 05-09-2016, 12:10 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by VenomGT9
The leak will most likely come from the axle...had a similar issue on my Audi but when the fluid got low there would be a small "groan" when turning...replaced the half shaft w/ boot and all good now
This (below). What do you think?

My mechanic said I should research this first. He's feeling like he wants to nylon tape the plug threads, but isn't familiar enough with the part yet, and doesn't want to hack at things without knowing more. I suspect the dealership would just replace the whole drivers side arm, but IDK really.

So he blasted it with brake cleaner and will take another look when I come back with the new lower shift boot.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:19 PM
VenomGT9
Registered Member

Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts
As long as it's not coming from the rack I don't see an issue just using nylon for the plug...just make sure to keep an eye on the fluid as to not burn out the pump...shtt sucks
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 03:44 PM
Rochester
Administrator

STS Mod - First Impressions

The interior trim is re-installed, and I just got back from the first true test-drive since getting the STS and Transmission Mount installed. I say this is the first, because until I was back at baseline, everything was all messed up without the center console. Noise, vibration, heat, blowing wind, etc.

Anyway, the car is back to normal. Or normal-ish.

Some New Impressions

The **** is noticeably lower than before. It doesn't feel wrong at all; I have no issues with the way the height feels, and if my eyes were closed, I probably couldn't tell one way or the other. However, it looks a little goofy to me. So I'm not sure where my thoughts are on this yet. I'm still processing.

The shorter shift pattern is amazing. This is my third car in over 30 years with a short-shifter, and I love it. Shifts are fast, and precise, clicking into gear in a more mechanical nature than before. It feels good.

Because of the Z1 Mount, there is a new NVH that manifests in different ways. There's a tautness to the car that wasn't there before. A kind of "pensive" feel to the way the car is vibrating. But that vibration is subtle, and constant, like a humming sensation that you can feel more than hear. You can feel it at the seat of your pants, and most definitely through the shift ****. Because of this, I swear the car is more responsive to the throttle. While that might be psychoanalytical BS, perception is reality, and this feels snappy. It just does.

The shifter feels like it's connected to the car itself more so than the transmission. There's zero play while in gear. The connection is rock solid. That said, there's a noticeable increase in vibration through the titanium shift ****. Feels like it's come alive in my hand, which is a pretty cool feeling.

All in all, the car has a more visceral driving experience than before. I don't think that's a bad thing, but if the needle were hovering between Luxury and Sport, it just moved a couple notches closer to Sport. Right now I'm liking it a lot, but I'm also pretty jazzed up. It will be interesting to see where I am in a couple months.

I'm thinking the Z1 Engine Mounts just moved up my list.

Now I'm thinking there's enough stuff here to start a thread, just for the fun of it.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-09-2016 at 04:40 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rochester:
Lego_Maniac (05-09-2016), MaQG37 (05-09-2016), twin_snails (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 05:01 PM
Rochester
Administrator

The shifter definitely sits lower. Can't deny it, man. Before, the boot ring was above the horizontal plane of the aluminum trim, and now it's below that trim. There's at least a half inch drop here. Like I said, it feels 100% fine, without feeling weird or messing with my position. Just looks a little awkward.

As for the P-Brake handle... the original vinyl boot worked out really well. It's not easy to get on properly, but I think I figured out the trick. And it just barely fits, both around the circumference of the handle, and for having enough material to satisfy when the handle is disengaged. It's pretty close.

No need for any mounting tape, glue, etc. It's in there very snug, and I don't think it will be moving. Like everything, it's not perfect, but damn if it doesn't look better than otherwise.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:44 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

The shift pattern is short. Very, very short. Like, Holy Sheet!!! kind of short. (I love it!)
It sure is short isn't it? Like ridiculously short. That shouldn't at all be perceived as bad. Funny how it quickly becomes the new normal.

I'm glad you like it, because ultimately, this is a pretty big mod. Not in terms of cost or anything, but in how it changes your interaction with the car. Give the shifter height some time. I too thought it was too low, and used a couple thick washers to add some additional height, but I've long since removed them. With the OE 370Z **** it works perfectly for me. But I think your WC Lathe **** is a little shorter than stock, and the 370 **** is a little bigger.

Are you saying the rubber boot under your car was all torn up? The one that covers the shifter mechanicals? Definitely take it back to your guy, it's a bitch to get on.

Sounds like the Z1 trans mount is my next mod
Old 05-09-2016, 05:54 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Yes, the boot over the banjo bushing underneath the car... Mostly gone, in tatters. I'll be ordering a replacement and have my mechanic swap it in. Pretty easy work with the car up on the lift.

The two rubber boots on the top side were fine. A little bit of WD40 to get them over the mid-shaft... very snug fit. Before I put it all back together, I took the opportunity to douse them in silicone spray.

Based on today so far, I would certainly recommed the Poly transmission mount from Z1. $200 seems very fair, and I swear my mechanic spent all of 10 minutes swapping it in.

Old parts, including what was left of the lower boot:

Last edited by Rochester; 05-09-2016 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:45 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Can you comment yet on high rpm behavior?

Does it vibrate significantly more at high rpm, like say 6500+ rpm?

What about high rpm deceleration? Is there less driveline movement?
Old 05-09-2016, 08:40 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Not yet I can't. Driving it home with a hole in the floor, it felt like there was an unpleasant resonance at a particular high rev decel... But I haven't noticed it since. The two times I drove it around since putting things back together, I've not heard it. Go figure.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:46 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Before / After Video

The following users liked this post:
Falker11 (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 10:38 PM
Falker11
Premier Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Video shows quite the dramatic change. those throws look quite short.

I may have to think of this one a bit more.

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G