Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 08:44 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Oil Cap

My oil cap came off my 2003 Maxima, so I've had it for maybe 7 years. The silver anodized surface is getting kind of discolored, and there's a circle of gray vinyl in the middle that's getting old.

But I like the overall design, so I bought a new one, made by VMS. It's similar to the old one, but has these faux-screws at the corners. This time it's a gunmetal color, and I'm going to leave the center clean. It came with this domed decal in black CF, but I think the clean look is better.

And I took this picture this morning, having removed the engine cover and cleaned it up. I think I'm ready for winter to be over now, please and thank you.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:48 AM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
Not sure how bad it was in upstate NY but here in New England there was no winter at all. After what happened last year, I'm in no way complaining, I may even switch to my summers next week as the weather will be in the 60s maybe even 70s...in March! Thanks global warming.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:04 AM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Looking at the radar, all the snow has been curving around Toronto and hammering NY.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:30 AM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Rochester - So I believe it's been about a year now...

Could you comment on your experiences with the vert cradle braces? I kinda went through your build thread looking for feedback after you had those installed. So what do you think?

Maybe: Where, how much, etc? too.

Thanks - Sean
Old 03-04-2016, 07:40 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by hexotic
Looking at the radar, all the snow has been curving around Toronto and hammering NY.
But not Rochester. We've been threading the needle with mostly snow-free weather right now. It's cold, for sure, but weird. With exception to that massive storm a few weeks ago that dumped a couple feet of snow all at once, this area has had one of the most lame winters that I can recall in the last half-century.

Originally Posted by VIVID
Rochester - So I believe it's been about a year now...

Could you comment on your experiences with the vert cradle braces? I kinda went through your build thread looking for feedback after you had those installed. So what do you think?

Maybe: Where, how much, etc? too.

Thanks - Sean
Sean, on your AWD Sedan, you already have support from the engine cradle to the frame. It's a differently designed part than the Vert, but uses the same connecting points. Yours is a tubular design welded together with a steel shroud; whereas the Vert parts are more like a single piece of shaped steel. So if you're thinking about doing this mod to your car, it's already done. If you're just asking what I thought about it... meh. It's an invisible mod. Maybe I would have noticed the added frame rigidity if I didn't have aftermarket sways and a FSTB. I don't know.

I have zero plans for added rigidity to the car. At some point next year, I'm going to replace all four swaybar end-links, front camber arms, and have the front CO's installed. But that's it for the suspension, unless I upgrade to more worthy, damping-adjustable CO's in the future.

No, wait, let me correct that: I'm still planning on rear differential bushings, engine mounts and a new tranny mount. But in so far as bolting down the way the frame of the car flexes under stress, I'm done.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-04-2016 at 07:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
VIVID (03-04-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 05:46 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Here, this is a better picture of the modded strut bar on the car, polished to a mirror-like finish, with black powder-coated brackets, titanium hardware, and the blacked-out area at the ends of the bracket.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-05-2016 at 09:49 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rochester:
2GoRNot2G (03-07-2016), hexotic (03-04-2016), VIVID (03-04-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 02:27 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Very nice john. Super clean and not over the top crazy.Sometimes it's the little things like the oil cap and the stainless bolts.

My favorite part of your engine bay is the g37 S badge. Great use and placement.
Rochester (03-05-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 09:02 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Mod Plans

As 2016 came on us, money got tight in the family budget. Since I'm not a selfish ogre, that means my car-modding budget is compromised too. And I get that, because I'm a dad and a husband first, selfish car dweeb second. Consequently, my plan for 4.083 gears has been getting put off month over month over month. Grr-r-r.

So, I've got a new plan for Spring/Summer that spreads the expense out one month at a time:
  • March - Z1 Tranny Mount, $200
  • April - TWM Short Shifter, $240
  • May - Installation, $200 +/-

The thinking helping me make this decision is that I really enjoy the experience of driving my car more than I enjoy the rush of power. It's already a strong, high-HP car. So while more power can be better, that doesn't mean it's not pretty damn good as it is. That's not entirely a rationalization, just a simple and honest opinion.

So I'm going to push the gear swap into a future mod, and embrace the STS. (deep breath)

As for a visual mod this year, I might send my headlights to 180 Customs in late Summer. We'll see four months from now, because at this point, everything is a tentative plan. Not that all mod plans aren't tentative until you actually do them.

[edit] Just ordered the Urethane Transmission Mount from Z1 Motorsports.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-09-2016 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:30 AM
TannerG

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
As 2016 came on us, money got tight in the family budget. Since I'm not a selfish ogre, that means my car-modding budget is compromised too. And I get that, because I'm a dad and a husband first, selfish car dweeb second. Consequently, my plan for 4.083 gears has been getting put off month over month over month. Grr-r-r.

So, I've got a new plan for Spring/Summer that spreads the expense out one month at a time:
  • March - Z1 Tranny Mount, $200
  • April - TWM Short Shifter, $240
  • May - Installation, $200 +/-
The thinking helping me make this decision is that I really enjoy the experience of driving my car more than I enjoy the rush of power. It's already a strong, high-HP car. So while more power can be better, that doesn't mean it's not pretty damn good as it is. That's not entirely a rationalization, just a simple and honest opinion.

So I'm going to push the gear swap into a future mod, and embrace the STS. (deep breath)

As for a visual mod this year, I might send my headlights to 180 Customs in late Summer. We'll see four months from now, because at this point, everything is a tentative plan. Not that all mod plans aren't tentative until you actually do them.
Im in the same boat as you w/ a 75$ a month budget for car mods -_-. Every mod has to count lol. 328 stock HP is definitely not too shabby!
Old 03-10-2016, 06:08 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 257 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Stupid winter. Granted, one of the most inconsequential winters ever for Western New York, but I still hate it.

Got my Vossens all cleaned and waxed and ready for Spring. This will be my third year now with these wheels. Tires, too. These PSS are holding up very, very well. Even with the negative camber in my drop, the wear seems perfectly even. I figure this might be my last year with the rear tires, and another two with the fronts. Hard to say, though... it's the kind of thing you have to assess year over year.

Anyway, looking good here in my basement.

Someday I'll have those wheels or some directional version!! Mmmmmmm

Oh and F winter!! I'd hate having to take my sexy wheels off.

That molded GT SPEC in the strut bar.....such a lovely addition. You should change your name to the Detail King. Or Mr. Right Details or something. Idk just ranting now
Old 03-10-2016, 07:06 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Red - I agree. I'm totally plagiarizing that GT-SPEC detail.

Me: "Oh thank you so much. Yes. I thought of it myself. " LOL

Sean

Last edited by VIVID; 03-10-2016 at 11:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-10-2016, 07:15 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Z1 Transmission Mount shipped and on its way.

Not that it matters... planning on a May install. But it's still exciting to have a plan actually start to happen. And the more I think about doing these two mods at the same time, the more psyched I get.

Z1 Motorsports Adjustable Transmission Mount Coming SOON! - Nissan 370Z Forum

Transmission and Motor Mounts? - Nissan 370Z Forum
Old 03-12-2016, 11:47 AM
Rochester
Administrator

It has to stay in the box for another two months. Still, very cool looking hardware.

Props to 4DRZ for the heads-up. Unless I hate it... then he gets all the blame.

Next up, a short-throw shifter sometime in April.
Craze (03-19-2016)
Old 03-12-2016, 12:48 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
Loving everything on your car so far Rochester seriously man its all so beautiful! I especially love the front strut modification!
Rochester (03-12-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 03:20 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Fog Lights

Started working on the new fog lights today, and got the driver's side finished. None if it is rocket science, but it is all very awkward, and you really have to have patience.

The new LED lights are OK. Neither awesome nor worse than I had, just slightly better, IMO. That's probably because I like having amber tint on the lenses, and the tint really changes the quality of the light.

Oh, and I'm going back to chrome rings. Just never warmed up to the black rings, so chrome it is.

Although pretty obvious, it's worth pointing out that the passenger side fog has has that tint on for over 3 years. It's gotten somewhat beat up over time. That's why it looks so poor in this picture.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-15-2016 at 07:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G