Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 09:44 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by hexotic
I didnt see the bit when you said you're coming up north. Was awesome meeting you in person Kinda neat we were parked beside each other haha.
Apparently that side of the lot was for cars Mike determined were worthy. IDK what his criteria was, but we passed. Maybe because we were first. I mean, I didn't even have a splitter. Seems all the really cool kids have splitters.

Here's the only one I have of both our cars. Somehow my hood must have opened. Don't know how that could have happened.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:03 PM
Rochester
Administrator

VQ|North Meetup

This weekend, my Canadian friend (Matt) was helping to host a car meet for a group in the Toronto area called VQ|North. Apparently it's very exclusively Canadian, hence the name. So for me to be there, I was representing for the entire United States of America.

It was an all day event, with a BBQ, music, and a couple of yahoos who decided to "drift" in an open field of grass and dirt. Kids... go figure. All told, about 50 cars. Mostly Z's and G's. And one old man from New York.

The Moonlight Sedan below, with the Vossen CVT... that's me.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-22-2016 at 10:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
hexotic (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 11:14 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Wow, impressive get together and great pics John. I deleted Hex pic in post prior to this since it had your full license plate, but then I see you have a pic w/ your legible plate above so???
Old 07-24-2016, 11:19 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
the vip area is for friends and cool rides Ive helpd Mike and Matt with a bunch of stuff, so I get special treatment haha. My bad on the plate photo, was so excited I got to met John haha, didnt notice.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:34 AM
Rochester
Administrator

the vip area is for friends and cool rides Ive helpd Mike and Matt with a bunch of stuff, so I get special treatment haha. My bad on the plate photo, was so excited I got to met John haha, didnt notice.
VIP area, eh? I didn't know that. The majority of the cars were on the other side of the driveway, in an area I call Plastidip City.

You did seem surprised when you recognized me from the forum. Very nice to have met you, man. You were very friendly. Heck, most everyone there was friendly. Must be a Canadian thing.

Originally Posted by blnewt
Wow, impressive get together and great pics John. I deleted Hex pic in post prior to this since it had your full license plate, but then I see you have a pic w/ your legible plate above so???
Fixed the pic. Thanks, Brad. Honestly, I don't know why I do that with the tags. Started doing it years ago, and now it's just habit.

I thought the meet was pretty impressive, too. And there were a handful of show-car quality rides. (There was a black NISMO 370Z that was probably the best car there... and mostly stock, BTW. Just saying.) I think the host was a little disappointed... he was expecting more.

You know, now that I'm back home and settled in, there's a nagging feeling that these meets are mostly a bunch of hooligans with old cars and more money than good taste. Heck, half of them don't even have the money, but that didn't stop them.

Harsh words, I know. And not so nice on me, too, because I'm one of them, and I know better.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:43 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Originally Posted by Rochester
I think the host was a little disappointed... he was expecting more.

You know, now that I'm back home and settled in, there's a nagging feeling that these meets are mostly a bunch of hooligans with old cars and more money than good taste. Heck, half of them don't even have the money, but that didn't stop them.

Harsh words, I know. And not so nice on me, too, because I'm one of them, and I know better.
Mike was disappointed because he expected 200 cars based on the hype he had going on social media. The turnout was more or less the same as our season opener bbq. A lot of people cancelled last second, and some of the regular guys (about 8 cars) that are truly show cars were in Ottawa for the weekend at a huge car show. Too bad you wont be here on August 6 for Importfest, thats when the fancy cars come out to play hehe.

VIP area, eh? I didn't know that.
Well, sort of lol. Some of the more flashy cars usually end up there. Also we were missing the 600 HP Twins. 2 guys with black and white 370z's both twin turbo, both doing 600whp. Gorgeous cars.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:35 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I've had this Titanium **** setup for a couple years now, and still digging it. Thing is, last year (and this week) I went to clean it up and used mag polish. This ended up polishing the **** to an unintended shiny surface... which isn't an unappealing look, but it's not as nice (IMO) as the "brushed" matte look & feel when I first got it.

So I wrote to Chris at LatheWerks, and he suggested I send it back to him this winter, and he would resurface it. I think that's a fine idea.

Anyway... took this picture recently. It showcases the components really well:
  • Titanium ****
  • Titanium boot ring
  • Custom, stainless steel extension on the STS
  • Perforated leather boot

Old 07-28-2016, 03:59 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Forgot to ask you, was your right reverse light really out? or was I going blind?
Old 07-28-2016, 05:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Forgot to ask you, was your right reverse light really out? or was I going blind?
I don't know. I've thought about it maybe half a dozen times since you mentioned it at the meet-up, but not actually in the moment where I was going to check. And I'm thinking about it now that you ask, but just not interested in going out and checking. How's that for lazy? LOL

Could be. Probably is. I seem to blow one LED backup light each year.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:00 PM
ctyke

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Happened to read over the first page from when you got the G...

Thanks. For the next few years, I'll probably be lurking more than posting, because the car payment trumps mods. But eventually, mods will creep in.

Just like the Max. Bought it new, paid a note over five years, and then modded it slowly over the next five. 10 years later, G-Sedan.
Only 4 years and 10,000+ posts later...

But it's been super helpful for the rest of us, read your thread on the R2Cs multiple times and got them installed yesterday! However, I didn't follow a lot of your advice, but not because it wasn't good. I tried to buy a nyloc nut... didn't find the right size. But yeah you're right, the passenger side is a PITA, and I ended up cutting the hose like you did. Love 'em so far.
Rochester (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 02:15 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Yeah, that didn't work out according to plan. My bad.

But in my defense, I changed the plan.
ctyke (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 08:22 PM
Rochester
Administrator

You're going blind. Both backup LED's are working 100%.

However, thanks for looking out, hexotic.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:07 PM
Rochester
Administrator

At the 3rd Annual MyG37 Meetup yesterday, and something happened that I had to go back and research. In November 2015, I wrote something in response to ShuuraRG talking about a set of spanner wrenches he bought for his new CO's. I recommended the Joe's Racing wrench offhand. Turns out they don't work for his K-Sports. Oops.

5 months later, in March, ShuuraRG mentioned that he was going to bring them to the August Meet-up and offer them to someone. And 5 months later still, he did exactly that. He came up to me with the spanner wrenches in hand, reminded me about the conversation, and then just handed them to me. How awesome is that?

Here's a picture of the wrenches, in what seems the exact right design for Tein's, side-by-side with the palm-bruisers that Tein gives you with their coil-overs.

Thanks, Roger!

Last edited by Rochester; 08-07-2016 at 03:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
blnewt (08-07-2016), ShuuraRG (08-11-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 03:46 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
Three cheers for Roger for his honesty and generosity! Also the fact he drove all the way from Ohio for the meet in PA. If that's not dedication idk what is! lol
ShuuraRG (08-11-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 05:20 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Driving all the way from Ohio to hand John a pair of sweet CO wrenches FTMFW!
Hats off to you Roger!

Oh, and he probably didn't mind showing off his nice G too!
ShuuraRG (08-11-2016)

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G