guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Wow. Thats quite the plan you have.

very well thought out sir.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:58 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
First off your car looks absolutely amazing Roch! I absolutely love how you're spreading apart the mod builds to a 10 year ownership. One of the smartest things I've seen someone do on this forum.

Secondly I'm utterly stunned at the amount of pages and views this build thread has had! It's amazing!

Keep up the incredible work brother. This forum is lucky to have a member like you.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 09:03 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
This winter when your car is hibernating you really should DIY the headlight & caliper paint, I know you'd do a great job, as your engine bay shows what you can do!
That idea has occurred to me on more than one occasion. But I think if I drop the bumper and remove the headlights, at that point I'd rather just put them in a box and ship the pair to 180.

My 2017 mod budget will probably get wiped out with the 4.083 gears and a new set of Michelin PSS (or something similar.) And likely 2018 is when I'll have to look at the brakes for the first time. Brakes will take a priority over other things, but also in 2018 I'm looking to replace the R2C setup for a Takeda long-tube before making a road trip to Boston and have Kaizen Tuning tune the car. That pushes the headlights into 2019, when it's entirely possible the front CO and end-links is going to happen. Maybe some urethane engine mounts, too.

IDK man... nothing is written in stone. Just plans, with the long goal being a used F-Type S bought in 2021 to 2022. I expect to be retiring with that Jag.

Any while nobody likes to read excuses why modifications aren't being done right away, I do have two teenage daughters we're intending to get through college.

Originally Posted by kennyz424
First off your car looks absolutely amazing Roch! I absolutely love how you're spreading apart the mod builds to a 10 year ownership. One of the smartest things I've seen someone do on this forum.

Secondly I'm utterly stunned at the amount of pages and views this build thread has had! It's amazing!

Keep up the incredible work brother. This forum is lucky to have a member like you.
Thank you, Kenny.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-10-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:39 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
That idea has occurred to me on more than one occasion. But I think if I drop the bumper and remove the headlights, at that point I'd rather just put them in a box and ship the pair to 180.
Another option would be to plan a roadtrip down to ONEighty NYC in Brooklyn and have them do your headlights on the spot. There wouldn't really be any downtime, but that's ~700 miles on your car round-trip.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:16 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
IDK, I think the headlight project would be right up your alley John. Your attention to detail and the fact that you have some winter down time to be diligent would pay off in spades.
And it's one of those projects that you can take a lot of pride in. I would really look forward to this one.
Just my 2cs.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:48 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
IDK, I think the headlight project would be right up your alley John. Your attention to detail and the fact that you have some winter down time to be diligent would pay off in spades.
And it's one of those projects that you can take a lot of pride in. I would really look forward to this one.
Just my 2cs.
+1 on this
Old 07-12-2016, 07:47 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Coincidentally, I was just reviewing and reorganizing mods this morning, taking vague 2017 plans and organizing things to the month.

As intended mods, I've been grouping the front CO's together with front & rear end-links, and a front camber kit. And honestly, as things stand right now, that's not on deck until 2018. Possibly even 2019. Some of the prioritization hinges on when it's time to deal with the OEM brakes. Right now they have 30K miles on them.

It's a 10 year plan for ownership, and I'm almost at the mid-point.

I'm frustrated having put off the 4.083 gear swap longer than I wanted to. Really want to do that Spring 2017.

My 2017 mod budget will probably get wiped out with the 4.083 gears and a new set of Michelin PSS (or something similar.) And likely 2018 is when I'll have to look at the brakes for the first time. Brakes will take a priority over other things, but also in 2018 I'm looking to replace the R2C setup for a Takeda long-tube before making a road trip to Boston and have Kaizen Tuning tune the car. That pushes the headlights into 2019, when it's entirely possible the front CO and end-links is going to happen. Maybe some urethane engine mounts, too.

IDK man... nothing is written in stone. Just plans, with the long goal being a used F-Type S bought in 2021 to 2022. I expect to be retiring with that Jag.

Any while nobody likes to read excuses why modifications aren't being done right away, I do have two teenage daughters we're intending to get through college.
Just my 2cs.
Sounds like you've got a good plan for your mods put together, John. I respect the effort you've put into this and it should payoff in the long run by making the right modifications the first time. Customizing a car to suit your individual wants/needs definitely isn't an overnight process, so having a plan like this should theoretically help you to better prioritize what & when to do the modifications. I've had my car for almost 8 years and I still have a few things left from my original wish list/spreadsheet, so please don't be discouraged when you have to put off some things in lieu of more important things.. IMO you've done an amazing amount of work to your car in a fairly short period of time... And eventually it will all come together!

Regarding your headlights, I have to agree with Brad. I think with your creativity and attention to detail you should be able to do a great job DIY'ing your headlights. The process of removing the headlights is more time consuming than difficult. I believe the more tedious part is the actual baking of the headlight to separate the case and then the masking and painting. Hence the reason I sent mine off to OnEighty... I'm just way to picky about minor details and didn't trust myself to do a nice enough job to live up to my own expectations.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (07-12-2016)
Old 07-12-2016, 08:02 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Speaking of headlights, coincidentally enough... I just got my headlights back from OnEighty on Friday and installed them on Sunday afternoon> And I was also able to finish my wire tuck (another "free" modification to consider, John) at the same time!

Name:  IMG_5876_zpsdlwcyhab.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  197.0 KB
Name:  IMG_5872_zps6siywd29.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  211.9 KB
Name:  IMG_5891_zpsfqzazcmo.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  219.4 KB
Name:  IMG_5885_zpsvgzg1fde.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  163.2 KB
Name:  IMG_5884_zpsktbbwnhr.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  70.1 KB
The following 2 users liked this post by 2GoRNot2G:
blnewt (07-12-2016), Rochester (07-12-2016)
Old 07-16-2016, 03:14 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
damn that looks awesome!
Old 07-17-2016, 05:51 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Driving up North next weekend, for the VQ|North meet-up and BBQ. Meeting up with two Canadian friends for the event. One is helping to host, and he drives a turbo-charged 2003 G35S Sedan 6MT. Beastly car, and somewhat of a challenge to drive. IDK if he'll be bringing it. My other friend is just parking his car, like me... he drives a pristine 2006 G35 Sedan Automatic in Lakeshore Slate. Gorgeous car.

I don't really know what to expect other than G's and Z's, and maybe a few old Maximas, maybe a couple of GT-R's. I've never been, but I imagine it's a pretty populated area around Toronto, so it would be great to see a large showing. But figure to be taking pictures anyway.

So I cleaned my car last Friday, and was looking at it just now thinking what I could do to prep. And I got nothing. The car is as clean as it ever could be, all I'd be doing is re-waxing and re-cleaning things. Assuming things remain dry, I'm good.

The only thing I'm on the fence about is whether or not to tape the nose for the road trip. I did that at last year's humble Sedan meet-up, and it actually worked out great.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:00 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

The only thing I'm on the fence about is whether or not to tape the nose for the road trip. I did that at last year's humble Sedan meet-up, and it actually worked out great.
What do you mean by taping the nose? I'm interested in this because if I end up going, it will be a 600+ mile road trip for me from NC.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:12 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Wrap your front end in painters tape (like Frog). Might take you anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour, depending on how detailed you get. When you get to the show, the tape rips right off...

...and no bugs, no road tar.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:56 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Wrap your front end in painters tape (like Frog). Might take you anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour, depending on how detailed you get. When you get to the show, the tape rips right off...

...and no bugs, no road tar.
Ah okay, simple enough. So I'll be driving around with a blue front end? You don't even wanna know how many dead bugs end up on my bumper and windshield.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:03 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
Ah okay, simple enough. So I'll be driving around with a blue front end? You don't even wanna know how many dead bugs end up on my bumper and windshield.

Blue for most 3M brand tape or green if you go with Frog Tape... Or it even comes in red if you want it to better match your car.

Driving up North next weekend, for the VQ|North meet-up and BBQ. Meeting up with two Canadian friends for the event. One is helping to host, and he drives a turbo-charged 2003 G35S Sedan 6MT. Beastly car, and somewhat of a challenge to drive. IDK if he'll be bringing it. My other friend is just parking his car, like me... he drives a pristine 2006 G35 Sedan Automatic in Lakeshore Slate. Gorgeous car.

I don't really know what to expect other than G's and Z's, and maybe a few old Maximas, maybe a couple of GT-R's. I've never been, but I imagine it's a pretty populated area around Toronto, so it would be great to see a large showing. But figure to be taking pictures anyway.

So I cleaned my car last Friday, and was looking at it just now thinking what I could do to prep. And I got nothing. The car is as clean as it ever could be, all I'd be doing is re-waxing and re-cleaning things. Assuming things remain dry, I'm good.

Sounds like it should be a fun trip! Definitely post up some pics If you can.

If it's a long trip, my vote is for taping the front end, unless you have a clear bra already. My front end is completely clear bra'd, but I still tape the edges of my side sills and rear diffuser (behind the tires) for trips over 100 miles or so to help prevent chips in those areas.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:19 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
I didnt see the bit when you said you're coming up north. Was awesome meeting you in person Kinda neat we were parked beside each other haha.

***Edited this since John posted same pic below w/ scrubbed license plates

Last edited by blnewt; 07-24-2016 at 11:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G