Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Old 05-05-2018, 10:12 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,565 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Do I recall correctly Tein already replaced one of the dampers?

Flipping back to the OE shocks would be a cheap and easy solution if it works.
No, never did that. And yeah, the original Tokicos would be the least expensive route. Tein Basis dampers never really seemed an upgrade over the OEM sport dampers, more of a lateral move, slightly different, but more similar overall.

Two hours shop time, tops.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:17 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Appointment made. OEM rear Tokico sport package dampers go back in the car next week. It's been 3 years and 14,000 miles.

It's driving me nuts that I really hate driving the car that I love to drive. It's got to stop.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:05 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Good luck. Noises like this can ruin a vehicular experience, and that really sucks when it’s a source of enjoyment.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 08:23 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 696 Likes on 499 Posts
I hope that fixes your issue Rochester. You may remember my trials with fixing loud rattling noises every time I cornered. If not, go back and read the thread for comic relief. I was damn near insanity with that issue. It appeared I would run the same gambit with my latest dash rattle. However, with warmer temps I recently discovered that the sound goes away. Hooray! A temporary break from complete madness.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:13 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I hope that fixes your issue Rochester. You may remember my trials with fixing loud rattling noises every time I cornered. If not, go back and read the thread for comic relief. I was damn near insanity with that issue. It appeared I would run the same gambit with my latest dash rattle. However, with warmer temps I recently discovered that the sound goes away. Hooray! A temporary break from complete madness.
I remember. You took your whole interior apart. Which in hindsight wasn't that crazy because it led to your project with aftermarket seats, and seat rails.

My problem is more about money regrets.
  1. I bought lowering springs because of the aftermarket wheels.
  2. Then I spent time and money trying to raise the rear a half inch with two iterations of a project that failed both times.
  3. Then I bought coilovers because the lowering springs in the rear were too low.
  4. Then I bought rear camber arms for the rear coilovers because the camber was too severe.
  5. Then I paid a speed shop top dollar to diagnose the problem incorrectly, and replace mounts and bushings that weren't the cause of this squeaking noise.
  6. Then I bought and replaced rear swaybar bushings that didn't need to be replaced.
  7. And now I'm paying my old mechanic (yeah ) to replace the rear dampers with the *original* shocks.

Adding together parts and labor over the last 3 years, I'm into this with thousands of dollars, and the only aspect of the coilovers I'm keeping are the rear springs and rear spring collars.

(sigh)
Old 05-16-2018, 09:32 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
^^^

***k.... First rue of car mod club...don't add up what you've spent
Old 05-16-2018, 09:41 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 696 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Hashim
^^^

***k.... First rue of car mod club...don't add up what you've spent

Rochester, I was referring to the stupid amount of time we have spent trying to track down noises, but I know what you mean about investing lots of money (and time) trying to get mods right. Another good example of time would be my disaster of a tune from Z1 that I spent most of last year trying to sort.

I certainly don't envy the crazy money and time factory engineers spend trying to get performance cars to work properly and still meet all the company's requirements for NVH. That is something I really appreciate after doing it myself to every car I have owned for the last 20+ years.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:52 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
My problem is more about money regrets.
  1. I bought lowering springs because of the aftermarket wheels.
  2. Then I spent time and money trying to raise the rear a half inch with two iterations of a project that failed both times.
  3. Then I bought coilovers because the lowering springs in the rear were too low.
  4. Then I bought rear camber arms for the rear coilovers because the camber was too severe.
  5. Then I paid a speed shop top dollar to diagnose the problem incorrectly, and replace mounts and bushings that weren't the cause of this squeaking noise.
  6. Then I bought and replaced rear swaybar bushings that didn't need to be replaced.
  7. And now I'm paying my old mechanic (yeah ) to replace the rear dampers with the *original* shocks.

Adding together parts and labor over the last 3 years, I'm into this with thousands of dollars, and the only aspect of the coilovers I'm keeping are the rear springs and rear spring collars.

(sigh)
Kinda ironic when you read the first few pages how adamant you were against lowering the car, and then you undertook an epic project to get the perfect stance, which you certainly succeeded in doing.

Noises like this can be maddening. If I hadn't tracked down my clunking front suspension due to hollowed out sway bar bushings, I'd have likely moved on to another car. Yeah, I'm that fickle

I'm optimistic for you that the original dampers solve the problem. You know how I feel about the Tein dampers

And, glad to hear your old mechanic is back in the picture
Old 05-16-2018, 11:12 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Kinda ironic when you read the first few pages how adamant you were against lowering the car, and then you undertook an epic project to get the perfect stance, which you certainly succeeded in doing.
That observation is not lost on me, Lego. But thanks for pointing it out, LOL.

And, glad to hear your old mechanic is back in the picture
I'm not. The situation is rationalized with the fact that he's a fantastically skilled mechanic with honest and fair pricing. And we have a decade of history. Let's just say I'm swallowing a lot of pride, because I value his work (and my car) more than my feelings or my ethics on non-car issues for the time I have to spend there.

If the speed shop had correctly diagnosed the problem the first time, or had given me like a half-off labor break swapping the dampers... but they didn't. And here I am.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:27 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Despite the warranted frustration, the good news is that your G is super on point and hopefully this will be distant memory while you enjoy it...if that doesn't work, give it some juice and let those big a** FD gears put a grin on your face...
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (05-16-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 02:03 PM
Rochester
Administrator

When the Jaguar F-Type Coupe was released three years ago, I test drove an "S" Coupe with an automatic transmission, and fell in love with the car. That moment clinched it as "next car", assuming I still felt that way when the time came. And assuming I could afford and find just the right car. (And naturally, with the 6MT.)

Lately I've been thinking I'd like something less engaging, and maybe more relaxing, with a more ample cabin. So this afternoon I swung by our one and only Jag dealership and looked at the F-Pace, and the E-Pace. The F-Pace is just too big, and the E-Pace is just too meh.

Then I asked him to pull out a F-Type Coupe. He brought me an AWD S model, in white, with brown leather. Not a RWD 6MT, (because they only get those on order), but that was OK because I wasn't interested in driving it again. I just wanted to plant my butt in the drivers seat, and reacquaint myself with whatever it was that drew me to the car.

Whatever that feeling is, it's still strong. That ache in your chest when you want to own something so bad, you can taste it. So anyway, that happened today. And now my nicely modified, well-kept, beautiful G37S Sedan 6MT, that subjectively fantastic car... if feels like a freaking Nissan Sentra. Cheap and thin.

Hate it when that happens.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-18-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:32 PM
pri.g
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Jeez man, the fact that you went to the dealership seems dangerous. You might convince yourself it might worth pulling your jump to next car timeline in!

Don't do it, forget about the ache in your chest...love thy cheap and thin "Sentra."
Old 05-18-2018, 04:45 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by pri.g
Jeez man, the fact that you went to the dealership seems dangerous. You might convince yourself it might worth pulling your jump to next car timeline in!

Don't do it, forget about the ache in your chest...love thy cheap and thin "Sentra."
Haha, I hear ya.

If it weren't for the cost of college screaming white noise in my head for my two girls, I'd probably be making plans, trolling for used F-Types in the $50k neighborhood.

No... I'll be hanging on to the G for at least the full 10-year plan. I know that. Today's trip was just a reaffirmation on what the heart wants. You know what actually helps? Reading the many negative reviews about lack of reliability, and insanely high cost of ownership with out-of-warranty repair.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-19-2018 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:28 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Got the car back from my (old) mechanic just now. The squeak appears to be gone. GONE!!! Granted, I'm not going to pop the cork for a few days to be sure, but still... this is great.

And he only charged me $100 to swap the dampers, which was damn fair of him.

And the ride home? Seemed exactly like the ride there. I think the Tein damers are very, very much the same as the OEM Tokico dampers that come with the Sport Package.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:10 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Got the car back from my (old) mechanic just now. The squeak appears to be gone. GONE!!! Granted, I'm not going to pop the cork for a few days to be sure, but still... this is great.

And he only charged me $100 to swap the dampers, which was damn fair of him.

And the ride home? Seemed exactly like the ride there. I think the Tein damers are very, very much the same as the OEM Tokico dampers that come with the Sport Package.
Yup, that's exactly how even the Tein Flex Z felt on the stiffest setting. I would probably not purchase another set of Tein CO's because of that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rochester's new G