Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 09:11 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,594 Likes on 3,439 Posts
^^^
I've been thinking about using tape to create the line needed. Just haven't actually explored the idea yet, because winter.

Whatever I come up with will have to be repeatable long after removing the INFINITI letters. There's going to be a gap between those events, to allow for polishing the ghost out of the paint.

Thanks, Lego.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:51 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
Lego answered my question for me. The Skyline badge on the Q50 is just a completely separate piece they mounts to the trunk.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:57 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
Lego answered my question for me. The Skyline badge on the Q50 is just a completely separate piece they mounts to the trunk.
Right. I should have just looked at it online before wondering about it aloud.

http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sit...ear-end-02.jpg

You know, the Q50 would look better if you debadge the Fuji, debadge the Q50S, and swap the chrome piece for SKYLINE.

Not sure what I would do about that gratuitous strip of chrome on the downside of the plate. Body color, I suppose.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-19-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:04 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I just figured out how to measure the placement of the new SKYLINE letters. Take a piece of thick paper, card-stock for example. Open the trunk, and butt the paper up to the current INFINITI letters, then fold it down around the bottom edge. With the letters gone, that folded paper becomes a perfect lower-line template for the new emblem.

Just thinking out-loud in prep for this.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:03 AM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
+1 for creativity John

Something to keep in mind, the bottom lip is not a straight edge and the truck itself is curved/creased... you will need to have a solid point of reference to ensure you replace the card-stock in the same location, with the same percentage of surface contact. I see the crease in the rear surface possibly being an issue. If it's not the exact same, your line will reflect it.

Minimal cost for experimenting, and I may be over-analyzing.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:04 PM
Rochester
Administrator

You're right, it needs to be more solid than a simple piece of printer paper, which is why I said card-stock. Either way, it should be a sturdy fit to insure I get the exact same line.

You know, the INFINITI emblem isn't perfectly centered to my Fuji. It's off by about 2mm, which is only something you can tell by measuring. There's enough whitespace here that the eyes are fooled. My point being, I think there's a little bit of slack which is allowable, while still looking OEM.

Anyway, thanks, Nico-derm. Working on it. (Although not today... brr-r-r-r.)
Old 03-22-2017, 02:39 PM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
it needs to be more solid than a simple piece of printer paper, which is why I said card-stock.
Originally Posted by Nico-derm
you will need to have a solid point of reference to ensure you replace the card-stock in the same location, with the same percentage of surface contact.
Wasn't getting at the material, just about making sure the placement is repeatable. And I fully agree that there is some wiggle room that won't be noticeable without a ruler and straight edge. With your attention to detail, I know it will come out right... knowing it isn't perfect, is almost as bad as, being able to see the imperfection lol (OCD)
Old 03-23-2017, 10:10 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Got the state inspection today (passed). Unfortunately, a new law was enacted on Jan 1st which requires inspection stations to check the tint specifications. While the law in New York was always 70% light throughput in all front and side windows of a passenger car, as of this year it's a requirement of Inspection.

My back door tint was 12%, and had to be removed. Fking sucks.

Car looks common now.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:26 AM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

That's NFG, can't believe they actually quantify it in an inspection...
Old 03-23-2017, 01:50 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Got the state inspection today (passed). Unfortunately, a new law was enacted on Jan 1st which requires inspection stations to check the tint specifications. While the law in New York was always 70% light throughput in all front and side windows of a passenger car, as of this year it's a requirement of Inspection.

My back door tint was 12%, and had to be removed. Fking sucks.

Car looks common now.

Welcome to California, John! Oops... forgot for a second there that you are in NY.

Sorry you had to remove your tint though... definitely sucks. I've had to replace the tint on my front windows twice in in over 9 years now. I freaking hate stupid laws like this.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:23 AM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
sorry you had to remove the tint, but just add it to the list of why I love living in FL.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:45 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Bummer on the tint John, too bad you don't have someone on the inside

Old 03-24-2017, 08:51 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Why not get the windows re-tinted to the legal limit?
Old 03-24-2017, 08:56 AM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

He undoubtedly will, but white sedan's look great with dark tint.... not to mention the added expense and inconvenience... and for what?!
Old 03-24-2017, 08:56 AM
Rochester
Administrator

^^^
I don't know Saul.

To your point, however... when I was a teenager, there were a couple of years where I got my inspection sticker sight-unseen for a case of beer. Boy, those days are over.

I suppose I just have to get used to the new look. On the one hand, the rear window is still tinted at 15%, so it's pretty black, and my roof wing continues to blend well into that field of black. And I'm very grudgingly coming to appreciate the more open, easier-to-see visibility when looking behind me from the driver's seat.

From the outside, there's a strange (to me) new look, and I believe it's because you can now see the stone leather interior. Also, the gloss black vinyl on the belt-line window trim looks different somehow. Keep in mind, the factory tint built into the glass is 75%, so it's not like the glass is totally transparent, even though right now it feels like it is.

Again, I just need to get used to it, because it is what it is here in New York.

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Why not get the windows re-tinted to the legal limit?
Because legal tint is 70% and factory tint in the glass is 75%... so it's kind of pointless.

Or maybe it's the other way around... these numbers are getting all jumbled up in my head.

I'm fking done with it, Lego. After a day's thought, there's no way I'm going to do this tint-untint dance every single year.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-24-2017 at 09:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G