Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 11:01 PM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
Just buy a puck and cut it... or a super puck for that matter. Unless the other is for a sense of pride in making it yourself lol
Old 07-03-2018, 08:19 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Stopped by the upholsterer that fitted my console lid armrest, and had him take a look at the driver's seat. He said he could replace the two center panels for $600. Or he could repair them for $220.

IDK, I was originally thinking like something south of $120. Derp.

Oh hey, and I noticed my odometer hit 39,000 today. She's getting old.

Wow! Your catching up to me!

So what happened to your seats that you need to have them repaired? Sorry if I missed it in an earlier post.

Originally Posted by Nico-derm
Just buy a puck and cut it... or a super puck for that matter. Unless the other is for a sense of pride in making it yourself lol

Or you can use a magnetic jack pad like this. https://zl1addons.com/collections/jackpads-magpads

Very handy because it stays in place on the pinch seam while you can place the jack under it.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:13 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,572 Likes on 3,423 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
So what happened to your seats that you need to have them repaired? Sorry if I missed it in an earlier post.
I've got an area of worn out leather in my drivers seat. It's the only flaw in the leather... makes me sad. Haven't taken a picture because I'm unhappy with it.

And it seems I'm not doing anything about it, either except scoping things out. So many other things going on right now w/money, that $$$ spent on the car just keeps falling deeper and deeper into a hole. Right off the top of my head I can name $3000 worth of stuff that has a higher priority. Dammit.

It'll get better. Just not today is all.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:49 AM
Rochester
Administrator

OK, here's a picture of the seat. I'm at 39K miles, with leather that was cleaned often throughout the first 20K, and conditioned regularly with Leatherique since then. It's simply wearing through the middle, and there's no stopping it.

I know it's not a big deal, but it's so obviously not good that it bugs me every time I go to sit in the car. I've got the name and number of the guy the local leather shops use for repair work, which I'm hoping to pursue later this year. It's only going to get worse.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:24 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
How many miles do you have on your car? My seat shows no signs of wear like that. I wonder if the gray just wears easier.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:40 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
I've got an area of worn out leather in my drivers seat. It's the only flaw in the leather... makes me sad. Haven't taken a picture because I'm unhappy with it.

And it seems I'm not doing anything about it, either except scoping things out. So many other things going on right now w/money, that $$$ spent on the car just keeps falling deeper and deeper into a hole. Right off the top of my head I can name $3000 worth of stuff that has a higher priority. Dammit.

It'll get better. Just not today is all.
That's tough. It would bother me every time I opened the door and got in. IDK if it's worth it though, I'd assume the same will happen to whatever you replace.

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
How many miles do you have on your car? My seat shows no signs of wear like that. I wonder if the gray just wears easier.
I'm at 58K and my black leather looks nothing like that.

I had a Subaru Legacy GT before, with a similar colored leather to Rochester's, and it looked just like that. My belt had even stained/marked the seatback with similar wear. I'll never get a light colored interior again.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:03 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
That's tough. It would bother me every time I opened the door and got in. IDK if it's worth it though, I'd assume the same will happen to whatever you replace.
It does bother me, obviously. I also don't know if it's worth it. For example, I'd much rather spend the money on getting the car tuned, or maybe getting the transmission repaired, if it ever comes to that.

I love light colored interiors. And I'm pretty fond of brown leather. Just never cared for black.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:19 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

For example, I'd much rather spend the money on getting the car tuned, or maybe getting the transmission repaired, if it ever comes to that.
I don't disagree with that thought process. It's a 2011, it's going to have some blemishes. It's still in great shape and will pull a premium when you decide to move on. If you can live with it, there are probably bigger bangs for your buck

I love light colored interiors. And I'm pretty fond of brown leather. Just never cared for black.
I could happily life with a brown shade. But the color of your leather shows EVERY blemish.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:35 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Or you could get some super comfy race seats like me...
Old 07-05-2018, 07:35 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Or you could get some super comfy race seats like me...
Ah, nope. While I'm impressed with your effort on that project, you've very different motivations than I do, what with your course racing hobby and all. On top of that, at 54 years old (and an admittedly sedentary lifestyle), it's more likely my seating needs will, um, broaden.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:35 AM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
OK, here's a picture of the seat. I'm at 39K miles, with leather that was cleaned often throughout the first 20K, and conditioned regularly with Leatherique since then. It's simply wearing through the middle, and there's no stopping it.

Do you regularly sit on one of these? I had to ask given the concentration of the blemish

Old 07-05-2018, 10:06 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Nope, just my fat *** and jeans.

(sigh)

See, this is why I didn't want to show anyone the problem. I can't explain why it's worn, and it speaks poorly of my intentions to care for the car. It just sucks.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-05-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:31 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Oh wow. That really does suck... especially considering how low mileage your car is and how well you've cared for it. For what it's worth, my stone grey leather seats still look brand new (except for a spot on the side bolster where I scratched the driver's seat when the car was only a year old ) and they were around 8 years old and had upwards of 50K miles on them before I pulled them out. So I don't think its a grey leather Vs. black leather thing.. Thinking that maybe you just got a bad seat... unless of course you wear jeans that are made of sandpaper.

Last edited by 2GoRNot2G; 07-05-2018 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:08 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

You guys are hilarious! Rochester, I think the issue might just be sliding across the seat when you get in or out instead of sitting down on top of it. Maybe this is an excuse to put suede inserts into the centers of the front seats so they are not so cold in the winter and not so hot in the summer and hold you in place better. This was something I was planning to do to my seats if I did not find good race seats that worked.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:16 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Thinking that maybe you just got a bad seat... unless of course you where jeans that are made of sandpaper.

Yeah, manufacturing defect.

Or maybe a ridiculously thick wallet, and that's the wear pattern from sliding across the seat?

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G