Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 03:20 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Comedic gold here on this page.

Anyway, Rochester- did you end up getting a Skyline badge for your trunk? The place with the kick plates also has Nissan badges for the trunk and front grill. (I know you are planning to keep the Fuji, but I am such a damn perfectionist.) I am just waiting to hear back if they have any Nissan or Skyline floor mats or a horn cover for the steering wheel.
Ive never seen a Skyline air bag cover, just Infiniti, Nissan, or Custom
Old 03-08-2017, 04:30 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Daddy Fat Sacs
Ive never seen a Skyline air bag cover, just Infiniti, Nissan, or Custom
Nissan would be fine. Where can I find one of those? I have the distributor who has the Skyline kickplates trying to track one down for me.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:37 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
They show up on JapanAuctionParts from time to time. Like this one sold for $150 shipped for example SOLD!!! #OEM JDM V36 Nissan Skyline (Infiniti G37) airbag cover. Absolutely mint condition, no knick - japan_auction_parts
Old 03-11-2017, 03:42 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Anyway, Rochester- did you end up getting a Skyline badge for your trunk?
Received it in the mail today, from a Nissan dealership through eBay. And wouldn't you know it, they sent me the wrong one. They sent me the first gen sedan emblem. The font is similar, but still noticeably different. And the spacing is way too tight.

These are the wrong trousers, Grommet.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:06 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Ha ha, nice reference to Grommet. Bummer about the wrong emblem. I think you are right to keep the Fuji badge. I looked at some pics today of JDM Skyline 370GT sedans and the Nissan badge on the front and the back just looks weird to me.

I did find a place that makes 370GT floor mats. This means I should be able to get all the appropriate pieces if I want to convert the car to a Nissan Skyline. I would just need to track down a Nissan steering wheel horn cover. I am just not quite sure I want to do the conversion as I think the Fuji badge looks a lot better on the car than the Nissan emblem.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:01 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Tom Hesser Nissan out of PA... they're sending me the right emblem, with a return shipping sticker. Pretty decent of them.

And I agree, 4DRZ... the Fuji is a more appealing emblem design than the Burger. If things were reversed, and it were Nissan selling the car in North America, branded as INFINITI in Japan... I absolutely would ditch that burger for the fuji.

Anyway, still won't debage and re-badge until it's consistently warm out, so probably not until May.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:32 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

We got snow again yesterday so I am hoping for warmer weather sometime in July.

I wonder what reaction you will get with the fuji and Skyline badge. Lots of teenage fanboi's, no doubt will yell at you, "That's no skyline! Ride or die brah!!"
Old 03-14-2017, 12:39 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I wonder what reaction you will get with the fuji and Skyline badge. Lots of teenage fanboi's, no doubt will yell at you, "That's no skyline! Ride or die brah!!"
That has crossed my mind. But since I drive the car so little, work at home, yaddah yaddah... I can't imagine where I'd encounter said fanbois, nor why I would care what they think long enough to stop laughing at them. Figure the worst that could happen is an occasional middle finger from someone in a 350Z. I can deal with that, LOL.

As for the inevitable question, "What is that? I never heard of an Infiniti Skyline." The best explanation is the simple one: it's called the Skyline in Japan, and I like that name better. IMO, it's actually an easy rationalization, since the G37S badge is gone; (well... under the hood.)

The other thing that crossed my mind is what to do when I go to sell the car... which, knock on wood, is still 5 years out. Either 1, it won't matter. Or 2, I swap the INFINITI badge back. Meh, it's a 6MT, so I should be able to sell it online relatively easy, as long as I suck up the cost of mods as the cost of having a hobby.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-14-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:54 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
I usually dumb it down. Most famous skyline in Japan is Mt. Fuji, thats why Infiniti used it to represent the Skyline line of cars.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:02 PM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
I definitely need to take the "G37" off my trunk. To me it's not becoming to the shape of the rear. I'm considering changing the "Infiniti" for "Skyline" under the Fuji as well. It won't be until after I either lower and get exhaust or wheels though.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:44 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
The other thing that crossed my mind is what to do when I go to sell the car... which, knock on wood, is still 5 years out. Either 1, it won't matter. Or 2, I swap the INFINITI badge back. Meh, it's a 6MT, so I should be able to sell it online relatively easy, as long as I suck up the cost of mods as the cost of having a hobby.
I wouldn't worry about that. You can always peel the badge off the car.

Originally Posted by hexotic
I usually dumb it down. Most famous skyline in Japan is Mt. Fuji, thats why Infiniti used it to represent the Skyline line of cars.
The Skyline name did come long before Infiniti, but I like your logic
Old 03-18-2017, 06:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

In case anyone was wondering... it's the exact same 12" in length as the INFINITI letters.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:40 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
In case anyone was wondering... it's the exact same 12" in length as the INFINITI letters.

Does that include a template, similar to the OEM decklid spoiler? I'm planning on debadging the entire trunk on my new 6MT sedan, and just putting a 370GT emblem in place of the G37S.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:07 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
Does that include a template, similar to the OEM decklid spoiler? I'm planning on debadging the entire trunk on my new 6MT sedan, and just putting a 370GT emblem in place of the G37S.
I don't know what you're asking, but what came is what you see here... the previous model SKYLINE badge (which I'm returning to them tomorrow morning), and the larger SKYLINE badge that I'm keeping. IDK what the badge is like for the JDM Q50... also the Skyline.

There's a film over both sides, Z. In other words, it gets applied all at once, and then you peel the top film off.

If you're wondering about placement, well... the middle is 6", just a couple mm right of the "L", which is centered to the Fuji. And the height... I'm going to have to figure out a good way to insure proper height. I think the most important consideration is making sure it gets applied perfectly level to the trunk line. Still thinking about that. If you've any ideas, by all means speak your mind.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-19-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:00 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
If you're wondering about placement, well... the middle is 6", just a couple mm right of the "L", which is centered to the Fuji. And the height... I'm going to have to figure out a good way to insure proper height. I think the most important consideration is making sure it gets applied perfectly level to the trunk line. Still thinking about that. If you've any ideas, by all means speak your mind.
Back in my Subaru days, someone did a DIY on relocating the badges. They used a combination of Painters tape + metal ruler + magnets to get everything lined up.

I kept this buried in my bookmarks, figuring some day it would come in handy.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...m-184126.html?
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (03-19-2017)

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G