Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by CRiME
I experienced no side effects after the update. All of the shifting bugs were hammered out and the transmission was noticeably more responsive. If you can, try a different dealership and see what they have to say.
well I dont think it has to do with what the dealership says....I want to know from actual owners who have had this done. I found it very odd that the technician would make a statement like that, but I never read anything on here or any other forumn that would back what the tech said. Im going to have the wife's reprogramed next week and will base it off that...but was justcurious if anyone else on here experienced any loss in performance
Old 09-06-2013, 10:52 AM
CRiME
Premier Member

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Yeah, exactly. The consensus on here is that the update helps. If that dealership is giving you a hard time and telling you that it will make everything worse, I would go to a different dealership.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:13 PM
dmin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have read a lot of posts in this thread but I want to make sure what I am experiencing is related.

I have a 2011 G37x sedan. What I have noticed is if I am driving in "drive" mode and going 40 mph and brake to make a turn, when I step on the gas the car seems powerless. It seems like I have to really press down hard to get things going again. And then it seems like it goes into overdrive, if that is the right term. Is this symptomatic of the issues people have had before getting the transmission reprogrammed? Will using the DS mode change how the car drives?
Old 09-06-2013, 02:33 PM
jazzmang

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dmin
I have read a lot of posts in this thread but I want to make sure what I am experiencing is related.

I have a 2011 G37x sedan. What I have noticed is if I am driving in "drive" mode and going 40 mph and brake to make a turn, when I step on the gas the car seems powerless. It seems like I have to really press down hard to get things going again. And then it seems like it goes into overdrive, if that is the right term. Is this symptomatic of the issues people have had before getting the transmission reprogrammed? Will using the DS mode change how the car drives?
Yeah. This seems pretty indicative of a need for the update. I was experiencing hesitation to accelerate from low speeds. Kind of the like the tranny can't figure out what to do for just a moment until it downshifts.
The update fixed this issue for me, but it also created more 'flaring' in shifts from 1-2 and 2-3.
Worth the tradeoff? Yes.

One interesting tidbit: Upon the completion of update 27D, the technician documented that their CONSULT III software crashed. I don't think the ECU was reset b/c of the this, so I'm going to reset it myself and report back here with results.
Not sure, but it would make sense...
Old 09-06-2013, 09:24 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you referring to ITB10-075 or ITB12-027? I had them both done (in that order) and while 10-075 did smooth things out, it did make the car feel slightly more tame. 12-027 helped the shifting so much that "tame" went out the window. I think they nailed it.

The only issue I have with ITB12-027 is that it does shift a little higher than I would like some of the time. With normal driving it's a non-issue. I can easily combat it though by pulling the paddle shifter to upshift or let off the gas a bit. But they definitely fixed the "slow down then speed up" lag issue.

Like just this morning I had to slow to about 25 from 40, then speed up again - it was in the right gear when I hit the gas, at about 2,000 RPM. I had this done about a year ago and I still notice and enjoy it on my 2009.

Service was done at Sewell Infiniti of Dallas, and I was the first car that car that they did. They told me they would be calling me to see how I liked it, and they did - and asked me several questions. I told them they had it right now, I was happy, and I recommended it to all G37 owners.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:43 PM
jazzmang

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
My service invoice shows ITB12-27D. Clearing ECU brought back tight shifts between 1-2 and 2-3.
One day later, however, it is pretty tame again. Sigh. Oh well.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:02 PM
mdes0

I have the same shifting issues with my 2011 IPL but after researching this ITB I've found that it does not apply to my ECU, which has a different part number than normal G37s. Anyone have any inside scoop as to when or IF the IPLs will get an update? The way the trans shifts drives me crazy!
Old 09-24-2013, 07:58 PM
LilRocket

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Went over to Prime Infiniti in Mass last Friday and got my ECM/TCM reprogrammed per ITB10-075A on my '09 xS Sedan. I love the outcome. The following issues were resolved from reflash:

- Transmission lag when uprev after coasting from approximately 25MPH
- Harsh down shift after coasting at low speeds. Primarily from 2nd to 1st gear.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:49 PM
tifosi

Originally Posted by LilRocket
Went over to Prime Infiniti in Mass last Friday and got my ECM/TCM reprogrammed per ITB10-075A on my '09 xS Sedan. I love the outcome. The following issues were resolved from reflash:

- Harsh down shift after coasting at low speeds. Primarily from 2nd to 1st gear.
There is another upgrade available after ITB10-075A, I think its ITB12-027C. After getting ITB12-027C, shifting is much more precise.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:55 PM
rm2342

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by LilRocket

Keep us posted after continued driving. Did they give you issues? How did you approach it?
Old 09-25-2013, 08:35 AM
mdes0

So I have spoken to my dealer, Infiniti of Nashua, and to Infiniti Consumer Affairs and unfortunately I have been told that the IPL has no fix for this problem. 027D doesn't apply to the IPL ECU, which is a different part number and ICA tells me their tech advisory said there is no solution coming for the IPL. This will teach me to buy a first year special edition... Spend the extra money and you get screwed. Moral of the story DON"T BUY AN IPL!
Old 09-25-2013, 06:40 PM
LilRocket

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rm2342
Keep us posted after continued driving. Did they give you issues? How did you approach it?
I scheduled a service appointment for the issues I pointed out on my previous post. I did not mention anything about reprogramming of the ECM/TCM to the dealer service rep. I wanted to see how competent their service department was. They told me they would drive the car to reproduce the issue, and also check for available bulletin updates. Well they indeed reprogrammed, and drove the car to verify the issue was resolved. All at no cost covered by my extended coverage.

I've been driving the car since Friday and the lagging and harsh shifts are gone. I'm not sure what the other update would feel like, but I am satisfied with this one.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:33 PM
samkon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just bought an 09 how would I know if the update has been done
Old 09-27-2013, 11:01 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by samkon
I just bought an 09 how would I know if the update has been done
Not sure how to to determine this short of having your dealer hook it up and see if they can tell.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:07 PM
oliveview

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mdes0
So I have spoken to my dealer, Infiniti of Nashua, and to Infiniti Consumer Affairs and unfortunately I have been told that the IPL has no fix for this problem. 027D doesn't apply to the IPL ECU, which is a different part number and ICA tells me their tech advisory said there is no solution coming for the IPL. This will teach me to buy a first year special edition... Spend the extra money and you get screwed. Moral of the story DON"T BUY AN IPL!
Why in the world is the IPL different??? That's insane (not that it isn't true). Other than a higher price, a body kit, and a tweaked muffler, the engine and transmission are identical to every G. Yes?

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram