Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 09:23 AM
Darth Kinetic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Does it make sense to reflash/update the trans before or after getting an Uprev tune ?
Old 02-15-2014, 05:45 PM
Aali176

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys I too am having similar issues with my G. I bought my 2011 coupe pre owned a few months ago and believe it hasnt been updated. If there are any documents you guys took in to the dealer to get the update, can I have a link to it? or if you didnt take in anything, what exactly did you tell your service advisor?
Old 02-16-2014, 11:50 AM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
... I also compared the 2010 G to the 2007 G35X that I had previously. That car was the best !!!! It behaved totally differently with the 5AT, no lagging, and in DS mode it was an animal....
I have to agree with this. Before I bought my 2009 G37 I test drove a 2008 for two days. It was a beast! I could not believe how fast and responsive the tranny was.

When I went in to buy it, they showed me a "demo" 2009 they had on the lot (sold as a new car) for only a little more $$, and I figured the newer car would be a better deal. It was only later I learned the differences between the 5AT and the 7AT.

Not sure I regret that decision but I can assure you the two trannies make a noticeable difference.

Last edited by TinsleyC; 02-16-2014 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Aded info
Old 02-16-2014, 02:00 PM
G4FSR

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ +1. Have to agree that 5AT was better than the 7AT. The 5AT loaner I drove was responsive without lag and not "searching" for the appropriate gear.
I would not mind paying more for gas with a better transmission. I believe it was only 1-2 mpg difference.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:46 PM
joselitopr

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Kinetic
Does it make sense to reflash/update the trans before or after getting an Uprev tune ?
When you get the tune make sure the Tuner tune the throttle my never did so it was laggy.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:55 PM
joselitopr

This is maybe is a placebo effect. On my370z I found a table to change the throttle table and now it feels like the gas pedal is actually connected to the throttle. Not that lag from pressing the gas to the car actually moving. Cause the throttle is faster reacting so is the transmission. Now it does feel a lot better. The transmission lag from when you press the gas is actually the transmission waiting for throttle input not the gas pedal input. I use uprev tuner for that.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:39 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What's very interesting and fortifies the focus that G and M owners' opinions on the 7AT is that there are over 209,000 Views of this Thread....A lot of people paying attention to this aspect of the vehicles. I have a 2013 M37X now, had a new brake hose installed under warranty ( seemed to have a little sponginess in the brake pedal). Pepe Infiniti in White Plains did not lease the car to me but fixed the car after the original dealer "adjusted" the Brake switch a few weeks earlier which did not alleviate the sponginess. The brakes are better now, but not as firm a pedal as my Gs. I know there are different brake systems and 18" wheels on the M. The car was in the shop for 2 weeks waiting for the part (I hope it was Japanese and not Chinese) to arrive. The service Tech said that he re Balanced my wheels (she is smooth as Pie on the road), and applied "tweaks" to the ECU which i didn't specifically authorize. At first i felt her to be a little different - maybe a bit more lagging with that TC lockup feeling at about 1500 RPMs doing 35-40 on local roads. The M has 4 drive modes : Snow, ECO, Normal, and Sport . i sensed that the Sport mode felt a little Dumbed Down. And then after a week or so, she has begun to respond very much to my liking.... I've said it so many times on this thread and on this forum on other threads, These cars still never cease to amaze me in the way the car drive differently, seeming affected by many variables such as outside temps and other variables which all forces the engagement of the DRIVER ADAPTIVE CONTROL which adapts to the way you drive !!! (check the infinit web site description). I now drive my M in Sport Mode regularly =, using the manual mode on occasions (except in Snow Mode during snowing situations). BTW, strangely, in Snow Mode, the cars starts slowly - throttle is softened to lessen wheel spin, the AWD is engaged directly froma stop up to 12 MPH, then switches back to automatic operation of the AWD (this is a M37X), but differently from the G, when you brake at higher spees while in Snow mode, she reacts like it's in Sport mode > some engine breaking and more abrupt downshifts... I guess there are different electronics in each car. All the best, Almatti
Old 02-23-2014, 06:16 PM
sneakers
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by joselitopr
This is maybe is a placebo effect. On my370z I found a table to change the throttle table and now it feels like the gas pedal is actually connected to the throttle. Not that lag from pressing the gas to the car actually moving. Cause the throttle is faster reacting so is the transmission. Now it does feel a lot better. The transmission lag from when you press the gas is actually the transmission waiting for throttle input not the gas pedal input. I use uprev tuner for that.
I found this posting a while back linking to
Smooth Throttle for UpRev - Nissan 370Z Forum

Is this the ECT mapping you referring to? If so, did you used the from Baer383 or wstar? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:54 PM
joselitopr

Originally Posted by sneakers
I found this posting a while back linking to
Smooth Throttle for UpRev - Nissan 370Z Forum

Is this the ECT mapping you referring to? If so, did you used the from Baer383 or wstar? Thanks in advance.
I am using the one from Baer383 with more time during the week I would try the wstar.I am going to reset the comp I think is running very rich now. I can smell pure gas.And I little weird.
The following users liked this post:
sneakers (02-25-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 09:01 PM
joselitopr

This is how its sound to me
We Infiniti we have this great engine with this great sport,low gearing, locking torque converter transmission ,but we are chocking the life out of it so we can meet our gas and emission goals ,but dont forget is a great combination..
Old 02-23-2014, 09:14 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a 2010 that I bought new. I've had it for 4 years and 30,000 miles. The warranty will expire in less then 2 weeks. Reading all the complaints about the transmission makes me wonder why I have experienced no problems with it or anything else with the car as far as that goes.

The main reason I read these forums is to stay on top of potential problems, so I appreciate it when owner's post about them.

Are there owner's that have not had any complaints with their transmission?

I almost feel like I should make an appointment to have the transmission software flashed, but I think I'll just keep things the way they are.

When I bought the car they gave me the first 2 oil changes for free. I have not returned since then. I do my own periodic maintenance.

Tom
Old 02-23-2014, 09:23 PM
joselitopr

Originally Posted by movinon
I have a 2010 that I bought new. I've had it for 4 years and 30,000 miles. The warranty will expire in less then 2 weeks. Reading all the complaints about the transmission makes me wonder why I have experienced no problems with it or anything else with the car as far as that goes.

The main reason I read these forums is to stay on top of potential problems, so I appreciate it when owner's post about them.

Are there owner's that have not had any complaints with their transmission?

I almost feel like I should make an appointment to have the transmission software flashed, but I think I'll just keep things the way they are.

When I bought the car they gave me the first 2 oil changes for free. I have not returned since then. I do my own periodic maintenance.

Tom
The problem is not the quality of the transmission,or mechanical the problem is software and the calibration that Nissan use and the Drive by wire ,to me that just took a lot from the performance of cars.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:27 PM
joselitopr

And the gearing is a bit off from under gearing second gear it goes to an over gearing third and it feel like the car dies,and after the car is on third it wont go back to second unless the pedal is almost to the metal.Car and Driver test the hybrid that use the 7 speed and the main complaint was that the transmission always felt in the wrong gear,and it does.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:56 AM
EpicOnDaBeat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to an Infiniti dealership last month to have the transmission update done and that has paid off because I don't notice nearly as much of the jerky shifting I was experiencing before. On the other hand, the service tech said there was also an "engine update" that they installed. Now when I go to use my Hypertech tuner it gives me an error message or says it cannot read the ECU. Does anyone know what "engine update" this guy was talking about and whether its worth having? My assumption is that it is for a stock setup so it may be of no use to me.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:45 AM
main_shoby
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by EpicOnDaBeat
I went to an Infiniti dealership last month to have the transmission update done and that has paid off because I don't notice nearly as much of the jerky shifting I was experiencing before. On the other hand, the service tech said there was also an "engine update" that they installed. Now when I go to use my Hypertech tuner it gives me an error message or says it cannot read the ECU. Does anyone know what "engine update" this guy was talking about and whether its worth having? My assumption is that it is for a stock setup so it may be of no use to me.
I was at the dealer last week to have my TSB done. He said we also updated your engine management software, Isn't that ECU software?
I dont have any software modification installed but still, i didn't feel any difference. lolDOMO

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram