Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 06:58 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FootLong
Alright, I literally read this entire post (all 46 pages). I have a 2009 g37x, and I have that flare issue. It isnt talked about nearly as much as the harsh downshifts or the hesitation, so I wanna know if this reflash fixes that problem "Flare issue?"
It may, because honestly, I haven't seen the flare issue for awhile now. When I did see it, it was only when first going for a drive when the car was hot - like it had been sitting for about 20-45 minutes after being driven. It would flare between 3rd and 4th i think, but then go away after a few minutes of driving.

I've had all the tranny TSB's applied, see sig for car info. I'm at 23,000 miles.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:31 PM
cy7878

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FootLong
Alright, I literally read this entire post (all 46 pages). I have a 2009 g37x, and I have that flare issue. It isnt talked about nearly as much as the harsh downshifts or the hesitation, so I wanna know if this reflash fixes that problem "Flare issue?" I contacted a service advisor from the Bloomington, MN infiniti dealer, and he said that the flare is normal for this car. He said that it was the TC helping smooth the upshifts when the driver was light on the throttle. He said it kind of acts the same way the rev matching works for downshifting. I have never driven an automatic with more that 5 speeds, so I didnt know if this was true. To make a long story short, I drove my wifes 2010 GMC terrain with the v6. It has a 6 speed auto tranny. As i accelerated the vehicle in a mild manner, the tranny also did this flare on upshifts (only from 3-4 and up). I was stunned. It only did the flare thing under mild acceleration, just like the infiniti. So my question to you guys is, do you think that these trannys are actually made to do?
Is the "flare issue" more like a holding of RPM, or does the RPM actually rises as if the gear is in neutral?
Old 09-16-2011, 10:50 PM
FootLong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It Happens under light acceleration on the 3-4 or/and 5-6 upshift. The tranny almost feels like it is slipping. It upshifts revs an extra approximate 250 rpms (if you watch the tach, you can alsO hear it). It only happens to me when the car is warm, and you stop it then come out to drive it again in 30 mins or so. It also only happens under light throttle. When you actually hit it, it never happens. Maybe the car is meAnt to be driven hard!
Old 10-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
WOW Whata Difference !!!!

You guys know about my Rants on the 7AT. Too much crying got me Nowhere..

I got a 2011 G37X Loaner today. Only has 125 miles on it - a new car...Man, what a difference in the performance of the Tranny: No real hesitation, no jerkiness, much quicker response, and a completely different reaction in DS modes - better , less harsh downshifts, much more instant "feel" as I shifted into DS (unlike my car), and smoother upshifts as as I shifted gears in Manual Mode. Now.....this is the way my car should be driving. No gear hunting, more better reaction to the throttle inputs, none of the L a g g i n g ...

I called my Service Advisor and insisted that they check my car AGAIN....the Torque Converter, The Tranny, the Valve body, the ECU software...anything that could render this difference.

Aside for the lack of Navi (which my car has, although not crucial), and the color of the Loaner, I'd SWAP in a nanosecond. It's a Night and Day difference. And although after I hit about 19K on the clock, my car did "improve" in overall driveability, it still not driving like this Loaner...

Something MUST be wrong with my car and those of you that have posted likewise experiences.

No wonder for those that would banter with me about the aspects of this 7AT and how they Love the 7AT...if your car is driving like this loaner, I completely agree...
Old 10-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
You guys know about my Rants on the 7AT. Too much crying got me Nowhere..

I got a 2011 G37X Loaner today. Only has 125 miles on it - a new car...Man, what a difference in the performance of the Tranny: No real hesitation, no jerkiness, much quicker response, and a completely different reaction in DS modes - better , less harsh downshifts, much more instant "feel" as I shifted into DS (unlike my car), and smoother upshifts as as I shifted gears in Manual Mode. Now.....this is the way my car should be driving. No gear hunting, more better reaction to the throttle inputs, none of the L a g g i n g ...

I called my Service Advisor and insisted that they check my car AGAIN....the Torque Converter, The Tranny, the Valve body, the ECU software...anything that could render this difference.

Aside for the lack of Navi (which my car has, although not crucial), and the color of the Loaner, I'd SWAP in a nanosecond. It's a Night and Day difference. And although after I hit about 19K on the clock, my car did "improve" in overall driveability, it still not driving like this Loaner...

Something MUST be wrong with my car and those of you that have posted likewise experiences.

No wonder for those that would banter with me about the aspects of this 7AT and how they Love the 7AT...if your car is driving like this loaner, I completely agree...
Arent we operating under the theory that very new cars (i.e. that havent had time to "adapt" to any one driver) and/or cars that are regularly beat on (i.e. loaners, rentals, etc) are not experiencing such issues because the tranny hasnt had time to mess things up with its learning?

Or, maybe they did fix something along the way? Youd figure by now, if they did, they would have given you a replacement transmission I know you've climbed the ladder with consumer affairs.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris11LE
Arent we operating under the theory that very new cars (i.e. that havent had time to "adapt" to any one driver) and/or cars that are regularly beat on (i.e. loaners, rentals, etc) are not experiencing such issues because the tranny hasnt had time to mess things up with its learning?

Or, maybe they did fix something along the way? Youd figure by now, if they did, they would have given you a replacement transmission I know you've climbed the ladder with consumer affairs.
This obliquely leads toward something I've been wondering: could there be certain idiosyncrasies about some folks ways of driving that lead to the transmission learning to misbehave?

Happens that way with other stuff. My next door neighbor's cat does not jump on the kitchen table and beg while they're eating breakfast, but my Lizabeth, aka "Daddy's Baby Girl", does.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:22 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Mudgen
This obliquely leads toward something I've been wondering: could there be certain idiosyncrasies about some folks ways of driving that lead to the transmission learning to misbehave?

Happens that way with other stuff. My next door neighbor's cat does not jump on the kitchen table and beg while they're eating breakfast, but my Lizabeth, aka "Daddy's Baby Girl", does.
Not necessarily idiosyncracies, but just driving manner in general. DS was a lot more aggressive when I first got my car. Now DS is only slightly more aggressive than regular automatic mode. I drove the car home 500 miles right after picking it up and while I didnt hammer on it, it was 90% highway mileage so the car didnt really have any shifts to "learn" from.

Get it home and start driving around in normal auto, and then in DS, and yes I think it can learn some "bad habits" because you are driving in DS but not necessarily driving aggressively. Another question that leads to is, if the learning is the problem, how soon does it re-learn less aggressive parameters and wipe out what is in there. Is it per-trip? Is it per shift? Is it per each time it hits the gear in question?

I sometimes wonder if me driving in DS coming to a complete stop actually makes the tranny think Im not driving aggressively........when in reality I had to stop because the person in FRONT of me wasnt driving aggressively.

It would also explain why an ECU reset gives good results, but eventually the transmission learns its way back to a place we dont want it.

All of that taken together it sure seems like almost completely a software issue. Im sure the torque converter is partially at fault, but if its only doing what its told by the software.......
Old 10-05-2011, 03:21 PM
mikelebron

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 6 week old Sedan X and I thought all you guys were crazy the first 2 weeks I had the car... Now I HATE the tranny..... up shifts seem to be getting sloppier... I now have huge lag when coasting down to 20 mph then try to accelerate...

Sooo... net net.. this tranny gets worse with breaking in or "learning".. and the sport mode is the worste I have ever had... My BMr sport mode was amazing.. it was like going from a grandma car to a highly tuned tranny...

I am just waiting for some fix but will never come...
Old 10-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Almatti

Looks Like a Struck The 7AT "Nerve" again. Sorry. The Loaner I have is Brand Spanking New, 125 miles on it - a 2011. Took it for another ride at lunch, It Is Totally Different From My Car !! I called the service Advisor to say that it won't be returned Today....ha ha. He left a message that my service was done and the Tech was taking mine for another ride. I am NOT expecting any miraculous results other than: "its perfroming as designed".... repeated from other many visits and drives.

As an aside and update on my venture with Consumer Affairs, I sent an email to the Service Manager and to the Infiniti of North America Rep handling my initial complaint, indicating exactly what I posted here : the 2011 Loaner is a totally different drive. No response yet. But I'm a persistent Bastard though.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:11 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Almatti: you are hell of a customer Keep us posted!

Have you installed the paddle shifters yet?
Old 10-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Almatti

hado, no not yet....I was hoping Infiniti would offer as a consolation Prize. Not so. I'd have to buy them myself.

Picked up my car this morning, It has been running better as I noted after 18k miles or so, BUT not like the Loaner I just had. I wanted to keep the Loaner and they could keep my car; they would NOT do that. I like the color of my car better (Black/Wheat with maple accents, Navi & Prem). They "looked" at my car again, found nothing aside from a code in the system about a sensor (I never saw a CEL??) that was replaced under warranty, but nothing new on the Tranny performance. I drove the Loaner hard, and soft, about 100 miles in the day and half I had it, it's Night and Day difference in response and gear shifting. I would swear it's the Torque Converter and the associated software, but I'm no mechanic/ engineer.

It's tiring to persue this, "the Squeaky Wheels Gets The Oil".....
Old 10-06-2011, 01:14 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti

It's tiring to persue this, "the Squeaky Wheels Gets The Oil".....
In Japan they have a saying...The nail that sticks up will be hammered down.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:14 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The 7AT does learn. The G is my wife daily driver, and she drive like a granny. Over time the trans up-shift to 7 at 1000rpm, lugging the engine. So when ever it up-shift early, I down shift immediately. Now it is very responsive, some time down shift before I wanted it to do so!
Old 10-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Almatti

tejasg, I like that one.... All we need is a Sledge Hammer to nail it Down...

BTW, got my car back, No change. In fact they replaced a sensor (a CEL they say was on ??? what?? I never saw it), under warranty, changed air cleaner, oli and filter change, lubricated the window motors (driver's side was responding Slow), and applied the Bluetooth / Navi iPhone update (something about call waiting)... I'm afraid - It Is What It Is..
Old 10-07-2011, 03:25 PM
Almatti

Originally Posted by CodeG
The 7AT does learn. The G is my wife daily driver, and she drive like a granny. Over time the trans up-shift to 7 at 1000rpm, lugging the engine. So when ever it up-shift early, I down shift immediately. Now it is very responsive, some time down shift before I wanted it to do so!
CodeG, you downshift immediately how? in Manual mode with the Auto Tranny? How long did you drive it for the car to "Relearn" ?

You know What: I am getting pretty sick and tired of this " Adaptive" Learning Crap....Why can't the car just perform at its peak as a Persopnal Sports Sedan all of the Time?? I'd also like to know why NONE of the auto magazines and Consumers Reports ever mention this jerkiness/hesitation in the test drives?

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram