Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 05:31 PM
maxfinity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My dealer stated there was no new update for the 7sp auto and that my car is behaving like all other g37's. Ill printout the TSB and take it with me on my next appointment later this month.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:50 PM
racing_md

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will do you one better. I had to take the car in for a warranty door repair (the leather had split on the arm rest) and asked them to do the new update. I get a call back saying that my transmission had the "latest program" and no update was needed. Knowing that was bs I told them I would call them back. I checked this thread again and saw that the update had been released on 5/15 and promptly called them back and said that I could not have the latest update because it had been released since I last had my car in for repair. I gave them the specific itb number and they said they would call me back.

After 15 minutes I get the return phone call and the service agent stated that they now see the update I was referring to but the tech recommended against getting the update "because it could damage the car and make the car behave worse".... Of course in my head I'm thinking why the hell would infiniti release an update that would damage the car. I politely told them that I would take that chance and I have been a happy camper ever since.

Sometimes I just shake my head at what dealerships try to put over on people...
Old 06-14-2012, 05:54 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by racing_md

After 15 minutes I get the return phone call and the service agent stated that they now see the update I was referring to but the tech recommended against getting the update "because it could damage the car and make the car behave worse".... Of course in my head I'm thinking why the hell would infiniti release an update that would damage the car. I politely told them that I would take that chance and I have been a happy camper ever since.

Sometimes I just shake my head at what dealerships try to put over on people...
It is a matter of opinion. While it won't damage your car, it will behave differently. Most will say better, some may say worse. THe dealer only advise against it (or warn you of) because IF for some reason you are not happy with the update, there is no way to revert back to it's old program.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:17 PM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, SOME dealers really seem to be determined to reinforce a certain stereotype about dealers!
Old 06-15-2012, 12:36 PM
racing_md

Originally Posted by sniper27
It is a matter of opinion. While it won't damage your car, it will behave differently. Most will say better, some may say worse. THe dealer only advise against it (or warn you of) because IF for some reason you are not happy with the update, there is no way to revert back to it's old program.
I can understand that perspective though that is not how it came across. I believe a less informed consumer would be confused on how to proceed. The fact remains however that I had to press them on the issue and was told that I had the latest update when I did not.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by racing_md
I can understand that perspective though that is not how it came across. I believe a less informed consumer would be confused on how to proceed. The fact remains however that I had to press them on the issue and was told that I had the latest update when I did not.
I've been told by an Infiniti service advisor that their protocol calls for them not to install an ITB update by owner request, but only in response to owner stating the symptoms in the ITB. But mine told me what symptoms to state and didn't blow smoke up my a** about having the latest update. This was regarding the previous update, which helped a little but didn't really fix things. I have not done this new one yet.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:05 PM
Dus1101

It is really surprising to me that some dealers will not apply this update without the customer applying some pressure! It is absolutely ridiculous. Also, I can't see how anyone would think the car is 'worse' after the update. i.e. "Man, I really wish my car exhibited 1-2 seconds of lag when I want to accelerate .. it used to, but doesn't anymore"

The only possible explaination that I can think of, where the dealer would be reluctant to apply the update, is in situations where their service bay is extremely busy with higher value work. I suspect that Infiniti will only pay some basic, nominal service rate to the dealer for this 'in-warranty' work. It is more lucrative for them to have a tech do oil changes, tire rotations, and other basic service that they make a fortune from.

At least at Guelph Infiniti Nissan where I had the update - there was no problems having them apply the update. They were happy to do so and I also sent them a note after, telling them how happy I was with the update. If anything, having more happy Infiniti customers increases their chance of having repeat customers and more car sales for future models down the road.

At 3+ weeks in, still loving the update! Love the car even more now - and had a complete interior/exterior detailing and wax done. Feels like I driving a new car, excellent!
Old 06-15-2012, 01:34 PM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I concur two weeks and 700+ miles into this update, lag is minimal, car is very responsive. I think it's fixed (at least I hope). If anything changes I will definitely post it up.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Maze

2009 7at?

This is one massive thread. I bought a used '09 with 7AT a couple weeks ago and I'm experiencing the same issues you guys have been talking about.

My question for you other '09 owners is, did you have your 7AT updated with the existing TSB's (ITB10-075a, and I think there's another one), but they didn't work?

I'm trying to understand if I should even bother going to the dealer regarding these previous TSB's, or wait and see if there is this magical new update that will rule them all?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Maze
This is one massive thread. I bought a used '09 with 7AT a couple weeks ago and I'm experiencing the same issues you guys have been talking about.

My question for you other '09 owners is, did you have your 7AT updated with the existing TSB's (ITB10-075a, and I think there's another one), but they didn't work?

I'm trying to understand if I should even bother going to the dealer regarding these previous TSB's, or wait and see if there is this magical new update that will rule them all?

Hi Maze;
IMHO, if you have paddles, I'd wait. If you don't have paddles, I'd get them. I have the 75a update, it's less harsh, or it's less sporty, depending on one's point of view. I'd watch the time left on your factory warranty and be sure you're happy with your choice while the TSB etc. is covered.
I can't say what you'd like best, as some find the same sport suspension too soft others to hard. IMHO, all is different degrees of good. ;-)
Old 06-15-2012, 07:12 PM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Skip it, I wouldn't bother getting the ITB10-75a update. Pre ITB10-75a there is definitely more harsh downshifting when coming to a stop, but I would take that anyday over the 1-2 sec delay lag. Also pre ITB10-75a the DS mode is nice and sporty, downshifts aggressively keeping the car in the powerband, post ITB10-75a it's very dumbed down.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:00 AM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had two applied to my car, ITB09-032b and the last was ITB10-075a and I wish I had skipped the last one. ITB09-032b was an improvement, but ITB10-075a made it feel slower, but did smooth it out a little.

If my 09 had no updates, I'd get ITB09-032b and leave it until I could get this new one that's currently only offered on the 10-11 models.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:24 AM
Maze

Thanks for the feedback guys. Looks like I'll just wait to see if this new update becomes available for the '09.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:42 PM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Any truth to the statement that "early 2012's have the 2011 programming"?

I have 2 2012's - one with a build date of 08/11 - one with a build date of 10/11. There are differences with the way they shift - the one with the later build date is a bit better.

Has anyone had the latest update installed on a 2012?

Thanks...

Last edited by MalbecG37S; 06-17-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:22 PM
XSivG

MalbecG37S,
I pm'd the two '12 owners who posted in this thread and asked them if they wouldn't mind giving me their build dates but unfortunately they never responded. my build date is 11/11 and my tranny works fine thank god !!! if they read this perhaps they will ??? I don't think they will apply the new tsb to the '12's, at least not now.
Russ

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram