Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 10:17 AM
jazzmang

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Yep, its installed in CONSULT3
Old 01-25-2014, 11:01 PM
rare37s

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've got til August to decide if I want to update my 10 sedan. The dealer mentioned that they've done updates for others but for some there problems became worse. He said only do it if I realllyy have to. I get the jerks at low speeds at lag while accelerating. But besides low speeds I have no problems
Old 01-26-2014, 01:34 PM
movinon

I have had my 2010 G37, non-sport auto, since early March 2010. For the last 4 years I have been reading about transmission problems on this forum.
As of yet I have had zero problems with the way the transmission operates or anything else pertaining to the operating systems of the car.
It also has no rattles, another complaint I read about.
I do my own periodic maintenance and prefer not to have anyone else mess with the car.

The one minor problem I have is when I first start the car for the first mile or so at slow speed there is a noticeable jerkiness, while driving to the end of my street at around 30 to 35 mph. If I give it a bit more gas it runs smooth.
When I restart the car after it has been sitting for a few hours this does not happen. I don't think this is a transmission problem.

I am a bit hesitant to have the dealer do any software updates, since I have no real problems. I have until the first week of March before my warranty runs out, so I'm still wondering if I should bring it in before then, as of now I doubt if I will.
Tom
Old 01-27-2014, 08:09 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
MovinOn, if it's not broke, don't fix it. If you're happy with it that's all that matters.

The next buyer may want to get it done.

Honestly I think a lot of folks get the tranny re-programmed because they think their car will be "better" with a "newer" program. Newer is not always better, and beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Myself, I have an 09 and did the update. I think I have the B rev. I like it better, but it does hold gears longer now and I do have to manually upshift sometimes to get it to change gears. I added the paddle shifters so that's easier. I don't HAVE to upshift manually, but if I know I'm backing off the throttle I will go ahead and upshift just to slow the RPM's. Still, it's better than it was... it used to drag big-time at low speeds. Now it's in the right gear at the right time.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:54 PM
movinon

Originally Posted by TinsleyC
MovinOn, if it's not broke, don't fix it. If you're happy with it that's all that matters.

The next buyer may want to get it done.

Honestly I think a lot of folks get the tranny re-programmed because they think their car will be "better" with a "newer" program. Newer is not always better, and beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Myself, I have an 09 and did the update. I think I have the B rev. I like it better, but it does hold gears longer now and I do have to manually upshift sometimes to get it to change gears. I added the paddle shifters so that's easier. I don't HAVE to upshift manually, but if I know I'm backing off the throttle I will go ahead and upshift just to slow the RPM's. Still, it's better than it was... it used to drag big-time at low speeds. Now it's in the right gear at the right time.

That is exactly what I have been thinking. It is a very minor problem. I have a short time to have it looked at while it is still under warranty, but if they should do some type of software update that I'm not happy with I'll be kicking myself for bringing it in.
Four years is a record for me to own a car, but it has been perfect since day one, so it is hard to say how long I'll keep it.
For me and my usage it has been the perfect car. It still has hydraulic steering, non- run flats, spare tire, easy to do periodic maintenance on and holds more than enough in the trunk for my trips.
Tom
Old 01-28-2014, 06:53 AM
Muujig612

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what must I do if the the dealer technician doesn't know how to update my tranny program? Is there a guide that I can follow? The dealer has the Nissan Consult III+

Help me...
Old 01-28-2014, 09:36 AM
rm2342

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by '11G37S
There is an update for 2011, I had mine done about 2 weeks ago and it performs a lot better now.
Is there a specific tsb for the 11's? or ecu program? I'd like to get my 11 done soon before my warranty expires.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:46 AM
kOrE

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hmmm, I just read thru this thread. I bought my 09' XS last month and I definitely notice some jerkiness with the shifts at low speeds. It really made me worry the first few days but it's amazing how much better it is above 20mph.

This may have been answered already but I was hesitant to go thru 150 pages, lol. My car is not under any Infiniti warranty but they should still do this update for free, right?

Also, is there a way to determine on my own as to whether or not the update has been done already? I would assume it hasn't due to the jerkiness.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:00 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by kOrE
This may have been answered already but I was hesitant to go thru 150 pages, lol. My car is not under any Infiniti warranty but they should still do this update for free, right?
Just ask your dealership if they will do it. The worst they could say is no.

Also, is there a way to determine on my own as to whether or not the update has been done already? I would assume it hasn't due to the jerkiness.
You can call your service adviser and give him your VIN, if you haven't been to their dealership yet, and he can look up your service records, assuming the previous owner had the car serviced by Infiniti.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:15 PM
kOrE

Thanks for the info! I will call them later today.

Last edited by kOrE; 02-13-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:41 PM
kOrE

Went to the dealer today and explained my situation. I took it there for them to program a new key and check out my transmission. They said that my transmission has the latest update and that the complaints I am having with the transmission are normal for pre-owned G's. The adviser told me that the transmission in the G learns how the driver drives and it can take up to 3 months for it to adjust my style of driving VS the last owner.

Does this make sense to anyone?
Old 02-13-2014, 05:07 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Went to the dealer today and explained my situation. I took it there for them to program a new key and check out my transmission. They said that my transmission has the latest update and that the complaints I am having with the transmission are normal for pre-owned G's. The adviser told me that the transmission in the G learns how the driver drives and it can take up to 3 months for it to adjust my style of driving VS the last owner.

Does this make sense to anyone?
It kind of makes sense. I wouldn't say it's normal for pre owned only though. This is my biggest complaint with the G is the transmission. I would much rather adapt to the transmission that has a normal driving mode and a sport mode than have a transmission adapt to me. My driving habits change based on what type of mood I'm in. You can reset the ecu and see if that helps. It should reset the adaptiveness and relearn your habits.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:24 PM
kOrE

Originally Posted by '11G37S
It kind of makes sense. I wouldn't say it's normal for pre owned only though. This is my biggest complaint with the G is the transmission. I would much rather adapt to the transmission that has a normal driving mode and a sport mode than have a transmission adapt to me. My driving habits change based on what type of mood I'm in. You can reset the ecu and see if that helps. It should reset the adaptiveness and relearn your habits.
Thanks! How do I go about resetting the ECU? Pull the negative on the battery?
Old 02-13-2014, 05:43 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
I am currently driving my friends 04 G35x for the weekend. (Traded cars) and I cannot believe how smooth the 5AT is in this car. Even with 123k it is like butter. Wow! If my 7AT shifted like this when normally driving around I would be happy as a clam. It is so smooth and refreshing. No flaring and ******* lol
Old 02-15-2014, 09:02 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
WannabeSport, I used to post quite regularly on this thread when I had my 2010 G37X. I now have a 2013 M37X. he 7AT is better but still lags - it too has the Drive Adaptive learning ECU/TCM. If you way back on this thread, I also compared the 2010 G to the 2007 G35X that I had previously. That car was the best !!!! It behaved totally differently with the 5AT, no lagging, and in DS mode it was an animal.... This is the age of increasing MPGs. That is achieved with more gears - i.e. the 7AT. That's what causes the lagging and in crtain scenarios some "lumbering" - like a Torque Converter early lockup.

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram