Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 05:11 PM
joselitopr

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris11LE
It actually seems to improve D at least a little. Its still not perfect, but DS seems to remain pretty close to correct so I dont mind D being a little castrated.

Ive basically started using DS around town and shifting into D on the highway. Havent done it enough to see if there is a large mpg difference. Interesting thing is that I got my best mpg ever the day I drove the car home (500 mile trip) and I used DS exclusively. While I think DS is more aggressive, I think the car ends up getting better mpg because its in the powerband, so there is less bogging down at 2K RPM to downshift eventually and then go up to 3500RPM. Rather, DS tends to keep you at 3K RPM while cruising, less downshifting and less RPM spikes lead to better mpg.
try to tell that to Infiniti. They think the opposite.lol
Old 02-14-2013, 12:55 PM
ZenZiglar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm taking my car tomorrow morning for this issue. Can I expect to be charged?

Most of me thinks that I don't have this issue. Everything in D is fine, DS is fine, except when using the paddle shifters. Those feel jerky at mid range RPM (3000-5000).

Back to original question, I'm under warranty. Will the dealer try to charge me for the diagnostics?

Last edited by ZenZiglar; 02-14-2013 at 12:55 PM. Reason: missed a part
Old 02-14-2013, 01:08 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by ZenZiglar
I'm taking my car tomorrow morning for this issue. Can I expect to be charged?

Most of me thinks that I don't have this issue. Everything in D is fine, DS is fine, except when using the paddle shifters. Those feel jerky at mid range RPM (3000-5000).

Back to original question, I'm under warranty. Will the dealer try to charge me for the diagnostics?
Nope, its covered under warranty, no cost.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:58 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
oliveview, what model Audi did you get? A6? If so, can you supply the pricing info, please? Comparing to a G37X vs. Audi A6 3.0T Quattro...THX
Old 02-18-2013, 01:30 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
oliveview, what model Audi did you get? A6? If so, can you supply the pricing info, please? Comparing to a G37X vs. Audi A6 3.0T Quattro...THX
My 2011 A6 3.0T quattro with premium plus was about $54k. Leased for 39 months with 5k down, 12k miles/yr @ $770/mth tax included.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:30 AM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Still driving my 09 with the stock programming and have no plans to have it updated. I never use DS unless I'm driving my car hard. Although I don't use DS that much, I mainly use D or M. The minute I'm in DS and have to settle to cruising behind a car I immediately switch over to D.

I mainly drive in D or M and I only use M in the HWY. In town I mainly use use D and I no longer drive my G around town like it was a old Cadillac with the floaty suspension. When the light changes I jump on the gas and get the car up to speed quickly. Also if I'm cruising in D and the car hit top gear, , I use my paddles and correct the transmission. Do this enough and the transmission will not use top gear as much in your city/suburb cruising. But it doesn't cure it completely.

My biggest beef with this gearbox is not the hesitation in shifting. I can get my my car to downshift quickly via the use of throttle. My biggest beef is the fact that this gearbox will always try to get into top gear regardless of speed you are driving. I hate it when I'm driving around town and the RPM's are barely over 1K. And for the record my previous G35xS with the 5AT was the same.

If they ever release a program to lock up the top gears below 40-45 MPH's I'm in. Or at least add that feature to the DS mode. Leave D as is and lock up gears 5-7 below 45mph's. When that reflash get's release, I'm in.

Also I wonder if the transmission will behave or shift differently with the traction control off. As soon as the weather starts to warm up I'm going to turn off all the time and see if it makes any difference.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:05 PM
Imua1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anybodiy know if the new Q will have the same quirky 7AT?
Old 02-20-2013, 04:41 PM
oliveview

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti

Hey! So sorry. I haven't been around here in weeks.
No, we got the 2013 Q5 3.0T. Can't help you with the A6.

So far, the Audi is just an absolute joy to own and drive.
If I were going to go out and buy a new sedan, tomorrow, it would almost certainly be an A6 or A4. Certainly, not another Infiniti. Not until they entirely replace the transmission, and update the motor.

Although, I think if you're comparing the cars, the A6 is fairly well outside the G37 price. You'd rather compare the G to the A4, as far as price and size go. The A6 is much more in-line with the BMW 5 series and MBZ E series, as far as size and cost.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:22 PM
Noddy11

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess I have this problem too. I turned in my 2010 G37X for a 2012 G37XS a few months ago and it drives like crap, much as described in the bulletin. Good to know, thanks!
Old 02-21-2013, 02:47 PM
unknown2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey guys, I need your expert help here regarding this on going issue.

HERE is my issue; I hope someone can please explain better than my dealership:

I've gotten the re-flash on my transmission awhile back and they applied, ITB10-075A, which on Service Bulletin shows April 14, 2011 as the date this was released. I quite didn’t feel as the update really helped the driving. So I wanted to see if I can upgrade to the latest ITB12-027D which the Service Bulletin shows Nov. 14, 2012 as someone already stated earlier, hoping the driving will improve.

BUT,

Here is the issue that I had with the dealership service person- They explained to me that I have the "Latest" version (ITB10-075A) and I do not/or doesn't qualify to get this new update.
The reason was that my "Current TCM P/N 31039" part number does not qualify to get this upgrade due to previous upgrade.

So in easy words, for ECM and TCM, I USED to have 3RX4A p/n before the recent update and since the update, I have X766B which I do not qualify for the new update. Same for TCM, I used to have 1MW6C which would qualify for the ITB12-027D update but since now I have 1NS6A, I do not qualify for the update. I just think it’s very funny that these two Service Bulletins have over year and half of time difference between the two.

But the funny thing is that IF I NEVER updated ever, I would have had 3RX4A which would qualify for the latest update. So here is my question to you experts,
WHAT CAN I DO? or is there something I am missing here that I can't go further than this ITB10-075B update that I received? Bottom line is that I want my car driving experience to be better and these updates are confusing me.

I am going to try to go different dealer other than the place I bought my car from and hopefully someone who knows more can explain what is going on here.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:41 PM
Noddy11

I just dropped off my car at the dealer for an oil change and to check the transmission software rev. They gave me a loaner which drives WAY better than my car. I hope they can get my car to do the same.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:52 PM
sneakers
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by unknown2k1
Hey guys, I need your expert help here regarding this on going issue.

HERE is my issue; I hope someone can please explain better than my dealership:

I've gotten the re-flash on my transmission awhile back and they applied, ITB10-075A, which on Service Bulletin shows April 14, 2011 as the date this was released. I quite didn’t feel as the update really helped the driving. So I wanted to see if I can upgrade to the latest ITB12-027D which the Service Bulletin shows Nov. 14, 2012 as someone already stated earlier, hoping the driving will improve.

BUT,

Here is the issue that I had with the dealership service person- They explained to me that I have the "Latest" version (ITB10-075A) and I do not/or doesn't qualify to get this new update.
The reason was that my "Current TCM P/N 31039" part number does not qualify to get this upgrade due to previous upgrade.

So in easy words, for ECM and TCM, I USED to have 3RX4A p/n before the recent update and since the update, I have X766B which I do not qualify for the new update. Same for TCM, I used to have 1MW6C which would qualify for the ITB12-027D update but since now I have 1NS6A, I do not qualify for the update. I just think it’s very funny that these two Service Bulletins have over year and half of time difference between the two.

But the funny thing is that IF I NEVER updated ever, I would have had 3RX4A which would qualify for the latest update. So here is my question to you experts,
WHAT CAN I DO? or is there something I am missing here that I can't go further than this ITB10-075B update that I received? Bottom line is that I want my car driving experience to be better and these updates are confusing me.

I am going to try to go different dealer other than the place I bought my car from and hopefully someone who knows more can explain what is going on here.
I am no expert but from what I read, 027A->D is the same update. It just include more model and some verbiage changed in the doc.

Good idea, maybe you have better luck with another dealership. lets us know how you like the update after you drive it for couple of hundreds miles and let ECU relearn. Some reported it drives great initially but after ECU relearn, it gone back to its old ways..and while some continues to love the new update. Good Luck.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:54 PM
sneakers
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Noddy11
I just dropped off my car at the dealer for an oil change and to check the transmission software rev. They gave me a loaner which drives WAY better than my car. I hope they can get my car to do the same.
Did your G37X 2010 behave the same as your 2012 and both have the same update? What year/model was your loaner?
Old 02-22-2013, 03:22 PM
Noddy11

Originally Posted by sneakers
Did your G37X 2010 behave the same as your 2012 and both have the same update? What year/model was your loaner?
The loaner is a 2012 G37X. My 2010 drove a lot better, much like the loaner. I thought maybe it was just me, but the loaner really drove home how crappy my car is.

The other thing I don't get is that the loaner and my previous car handled a lot better than my XS. The steering and handling are much tighter and the whole car feels tighter. My car feels pretty mushy on corners with more lean and less traction. Maybe the S stands for Slow.

I got a depressing call from the dealer today telling me that my car has the latest software rev and there's nothing they can do. I'm not sure what to do at this point as I'm beginning to hate the car. I have to go pick it up now but I don't want the damn thing.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:18 PM
sneakers
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Noddy11
The loaner is a 2012 G37X. My 2010 drove a lot better, much like the loaner. I thought maybe it was just me, but the loaner really drove home how crappy my car is.

The other thing I don't get is that the loaner and my previous car handled a lot better than my XS. The steering and handling are much tighter and the whole car feels tighter. My car feels pretty mushy on corners with more lean and less traction. Maybe the S stands for Slow.

I got a depressing call from the dealer today telling me that my car has the latest software rev and there's nothing they can do. I'm not sure what to do at this point as I'm beginning to hate the car. I have to go pick it up now but I don't want the damn thing.
What update you had on the 2010 and what dealer told you have now on the 2012? If you still at the shop, and if you're still on 075, I would ask to have another tech check again or bring to another dealership.

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram