Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 08:25 PM
ScuderiaFan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Greg

Can I use Chemical Guys Citrus Wash as a regular car shampoo without it removing wax and sealant? If yes, how much do I need to dilute it.

Thanks.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:12 AM
lilboilinh

Hi Greg,

I was wondering if you could tell me how to remove old polish/ compound that got into some of the crevices.

Thanks Linh
Old 12-15-2011, 05:05 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by ScuderiaFan
Hi Greg

Can I use Chemical Guys Citrus Wash as a regular car shampoo without it removing wax and sealant? If yes, how much do I need to dilute it.

Thanks.
It is possible but I generally don't recommend it because you are diluting the shampoo so thin. You'll want to use at most .25 ounces at most per gallon of water. In my opinion you are better off investing in a second shampoo for maintenance washes it's much safer and easier to work with. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Old 12-15-2011, 05:09 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by lilnikkalinh
Hi Greg,

I was wondering if you could tell me how to remove old polish/ compound that got into some of the crevices.

Thanks Linh
Assuming a basic wash won't budge them I usually spray a little APC (ie P21S Total Auto Wash) on a microfiber towel and wipe the affected areas. If that doesn't work spray the APC right on the area and let it soak and scrub more vigorously with the mf towel. Sometimes it's easier to work on the doors, hood, etc. if you pop the hood, open the doors, etc. so they are more exposed, just be careful you don't pinch your fingers. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Greg @ DI
Old 12-15-2011, 07:36 PM
Dfrench200

Flex vs. Porter Cable

Hello Greg!
First of all, DI is my go to place for not only my supplies but for all of the fantastic info and training your website provides. Thanks!

I just placed an order with you to upgrade from the PC to the Flex DA polisher. One thing that I have noticed in some of the videos I have watched is that the operators tend to move a little faster with the Flex, compared to the super slow movements of the PC. I was wondering if that is something that I will need to do with the Flex? Or should I continue with the similar slow movement I am used to with my PC.

Thanks for your input and I am looking forward to trying out my new Flex!!
Old 12-22-2011, 05:46 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Dfrench200
Hello Greg!
First of all, DI is my go to place for not only my supplies but for all of the fantastic info and training your website provides. Thanks!

I just placed an order with you to upgrade from the PC to the Flex DA polisher. One thing that I have noticed in some of the videos I have watched is that the operators tend to move a little faster with the Flex, compared to the super slow movements of the PC. I was wondering if that is something that I will need to do with the Flex? Or should I continue with the similar slow movement I am used to with my PC.

Thanks for your input and I am looking forward to trying out my new Flex!!

Thank you for the kind words and I'm thrilled to hear you've found so much good info and supplies on our site. I also got your e-mail but I'm going to share the answer I provided via e-mail here as well in case anyone else is interested. I think the answer depends on your preference but the Flex does have more OPMs and torque so you are able to work the polish in a bit faster if needed but it's not a must. I would suggest trying different speeds to see what works best for you. I'm confident you'll find a pace that makes sense for you very quickly. If you have any other questions please let me know!

Greg @ DI
Old 12-23-2011, 09:13 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Please bring back international shipping!
Old 01-05-2012, 10:19 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Presto
Please bring back international shipping!
I really wish we had it too but the multitude of issues we faced with customs, liquids, damages, etc. just made it extremely time consuming and non-profitable. If we bring it back we'll make an announcement for sure.

Greg @ DI
Old 01-06-2012, 10:39 PM
parasailing

Hi George,

The package of goodies from your site finally arrived and can't wait to get started on detailing my newly purchased G37.

In the meantime, my wife's silver Honda Pilot has quite a few scratches on the driver side door that I would like to remove if not minimize and would like to know what steps and products you would recommend to fix this.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:23 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by parasailing
Hi George,

The package of goodies from your site finally arrived and can't wait to get started on detailing my newly purchased G37.

In the meantime, my wife's silver Honda Pilot has quite a few scratches on the driver side door that I would like to remove if not minimize and would like to know what steps and products you would recommend to fix this.
Unfortunately George left the company at the end of 2010, but I (Greg) would be happy to help you out. I'm glad to hear the order arrived and you are ready to start using the products. For the scratches I would start off with the polishes and see how much they can help. In general polishes will not remove scratches but it can help reduce their appearance. I would recommend the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 and Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 combo. If that doesn't work try a light wet sanding with 2000 - 1000 grit sand paper and follow up with the M105 and M205 again. It should make that area look significantly better if not fully fix it assuming the scratches are light.

Greg @ DI
Old 01-08-2012, 09:45 PM
parasailing

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Unfortunately George left the company at the end of 2010, but I (Greg) would be happy to help you out. I'm glad to hear the order arrived and you are ready to start using the products. For the scratches I would start off with the polishes and see how much they can help. In general polishes will not remove scratches but it can help reduce their appearance. I would recommend the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 and Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 combo. If that doesn't work try a light wet sanding with 2000 - 1000 grit sand paper and follow up with the M105 and M205 again. It should make that area look significantly better if not fully fix it assuming the scratches are light.

Greg @ DI
Thanks for the info Greg. So do you first wash the car, then clay it to get it nice and smooth, and then use the M105 then M205? The scratches are kinda deep so wondering if I need something more heavy duty?
Old 01-11-2012, 07:01 PM
LIKE-A-G

Greg, just purchased a few products from you guys including meguires 105 and 205. I have an 08 silver g37 coupe and want to do a full detail on it. It has very light imperfections and I'm wondering if meguires 105 is overkill since its hard to see scratches even with proper lighting. Also, can you explain what I should be looking for when the polish "breaks down"? Thanks!
Old 01-12-2012, 06:43 PM
stock_08

Hi, Was wondering if you can help me out on what products I will need to get the job done. This is going to be my first time working with a buffer. I have a buffer but not that many pads or cleaning products. My car has paint specs on it from neighbors painting their house. Was just wondering what all I would need to clean, polish and wax the car. Not alot of money to spend but nothing to expensive will do. Planning to gather all the products from you guys. Thanks in advance Kevin
Old 01-15-2012, 05:02 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by parasailing
Thanks for the info Greg. So do you first wash the car, then clay it to get it nice and smooth, and then use the M105 then M205? The scratches are kinda deep so wondering if I need something more heavy duty?
Yes you have the order correct. If the scratches appear deep it's unlikely those polishes will buff them out entirely, but it's possible so you may want to try them first. Assuming they are not enough do a light wet sanding starting with like 1500 and use more aggressive paper as needed and then work backwards with lighter wet sanding, M105 and then finally the M205 to buff out any haze. Good luck!

Greg @ DI
Old 01-15-2012, 05:05 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by LIKE-A-G
Greg, just purchased a few products from you guys including meguires 105 and 205. I have an 08 silver g37 coupe and want to do a full detail on it. It has very light imperfections and I'm wondering if meguires 105 is overkill since its hard to see scratches even with proper lighting. Also, can you explain what I should be looking for when the polish "breaks down"? Thanks!
It's tough to say what is overkill because you could have a brand new car where the M105 is justified. Since it's an 08 I'm pretty confident the M105 will be very helpful. If you want to try just the M205 first that is absolutely fine, you may be satisfied with just that, if not move up to the M105. When you work a polish in thoroughly it will look just slightly thinner and more clear. It's not an exact science but with a few passes it should be relatively easy to tell.

Greg @ DI

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image