Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 11:48 PM
XtatiC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Has he been in your back seat again?

Sorry, couldn't help it.

I've used 303 Fabric and Vinyl Cleaner with good success on small spots.
lmao... that's what it seems like I swear
Old 03-29-2009, 02:49 PM
Lucky_One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey George,
i was doing some reading and a detalier mention that glazes usually dont work well with sealants, their better with waxes?

then i found this:
"Glaze: Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze - Good choice if you're using FMJ on top
Sealant: Menzerna FMJ - Great sealant, you'll love the ease of use and surface slickness left behind"

i have an IP, but will also be working on other cars. I should ok with the FTG and adding FMJ on top right?thanks
Old 03-30-2009, 06:07 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucky_One
Hey George,
i was doing some reading and a detalier mention that glazes usually dont work well with sealants, their better with waxes?

then i found this:
"Glaze: Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze - Good choice if you're using FMJ on top
Sealant: Menzerna FMJ - Great sealant, you'll love the ease of use and surface slickness left behind"

i have an IP, but will also be working on other cars. I should ok with the FTG and adding FMJ on top right?thanks
Yep, the FTG and FMJ are designed to work together, shouldn't have any issues there. My favorite glaze to use under a sealant is Chemical Guys EZ Creme Glaze though. Much easier to use than FTG and it leaves behind a better finish IMO.

If you have any other questions on anything, please do not hesitate to ask.

George
Old 03-30-2009, 05:03 PM
shift_6

currently I have the dodo juice pre-wax cleanser and the purple haze soft wax all from DI. Thanks George! I'm thinking of getting a nice sealant (FMJ) but wondering how do u apply it? Do u have work it in like a polish? Too lazy to search.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by shift_6
currently I have the dodo juice pre-wax cleanser and the purple haze soft wax all from DI. Thanks George! I'm thinking of getting a nice sealant (FMJ) but wondering how do u apply it? Do u have work it in like a polish? Too lazy to search.
If you're going to use the Dodo combo of pre-wax cleaner + Purple Haze, I'd recommend sticking just to that. They are designed to work specifically together and the end result is outstanding. If you were to apply FMJ over the pre-wax cleaner, it may not bond properly to it, yielding less durable protection. If you wanted to add FMJ, I'd recommend changing the Dodo pre-wax cleaner to something like Menzerna FTG or Chemical Guys EZ Creme Glaze so that the sealant properly bonds. Give it 24 hours to cure, then top the FMJ coat with Dodo Juice Purple Haze.

It's somewhat confusing, but certain pre-wax cleaners work well with sealants and others are designed to work well under a wax.

For applying the FMJ, you simply are looking for even coverage spread over the paint. You don't have to work it in like a polish, the less pressure the better.

Hope this helps,

George
Old 03-30-2009, 10:43 PM
shift_6

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
If you're going to use the Dodo combo of pre-wax cleaner + Purple Haze, I'd recommend sticking just to that. They are designed to work specifically together and the end result is outstanding. If you were to apply FMJ over the pre-wax cleaner, it may not bond properly to it, yielding less durable protection. If you wanted to add FMJ, I'd recommend changing the Dodo pre-wax cleaner to something like Menzerna FTG or Chemical Guys EZ Creme Glaze so that the sealant properly bonds. Give it 24 hours to cure, then top the FMJ coat with Dodo Juice Purple Haze.

It's somewhat confusing, but certain pre-wax cleaners work well with sealants and others are designed to work well under a wax.

For applying the FMJ, you simply are looking for even coverage spread over the paint. You don't have to work it in like a polish, the less pressure the better.

Hope this helps,

George
Thanks for advise I'll stick to what I got now coz I do like the results. I'll just get other supplies then.

How about an advice on which product to use for a quick detail after washing? (HGAS, Quick Wax Plus, or Liquid Souveran Spray Wax).
Old 03-30-2009, 11:47 PM
Lucky_One

Yep, the FTG and FMJ are designed to work together, shouldn't have any issues there. My favorite glaze to use under a sealant is Chemical Guys EZ Creme Glaze though. Much easier to use than FTG and it leaves behind a better finish IMO.

George
Thanks George, ill try it when i run out of FTG.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:50 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Thanks for advise I'll stick to what I got now coz I do like the results. I'll just get other supplies then.

How about an advice on which product to use for a quick detail after washing? (HGAS, Quick Wax Plus, or Liquid Souveran Spray Wax).
We'll be getting in a Dodo Juice Quick Detailer with our next order, you could give that a shot. Hoping to have it up on our site sometime in April. Of what you have listed, I think the Pinnacle Liquid Souveran would work best over the Dodo.

Originally Posted by Lucky_One
Thanks George, ill try it when i run out of FTG.
Sounds good. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts comparing the two.

George
Old 04-01-2009, 11:04 PM
shift_6

We'll be getting in a Dodo Juice Quick Detailer with our next order, you could give that a shot. Hoping to have it up on our site sometime in April. Of what you have listed, I think the Pinnacle Liquid Souveran would work best over the Dodo.

Sounds good. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts comparing the two.

George
Thanks for the heads up! I'll check out the DODO JUICE Detailer when it gets in Woo-hoo Can't wait!
Old 04-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Kwang

I'm not sure on what shampoo to buy... Can I just use Turtle Wax ICE Car Wash for a simple wash to clean and not have to wax or seal the car? Or do I have to wax or seal the car regardless after any washing?

Any recommendation on which shampoo? I am thinking of Citrus Wash & Gloss or Turtle Wax ICE Car Wash?

BTW: The turtle wax is 8.99 for a 64oz while its the same price for a 16oz Citrus Wash & Gloss.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:38 AM
NIGHTLFEphantom

Originally Posted by Kwang
I'm not sure on what shampoo to buy... Can I just use Turtle Wax ICE Car Wash for a simple wash to clean and not have to wax or seal the car? Or do I have to wax or seal the car regardless after any washing?

Any recommendation on which shampoo? I am thinking of Citrus Wash & Gloss or Turtle Wax ICE Car Wash?

BTW: The turtle wax is 8.99 for a 64oz while its the same price for a 16oz Citrus Wash & Gloss.
Yes. You will have to wax and/or seal after any wash. As for shampoo... right now I use Meguiar's Gold Class... as it works good for the money. I used to have Turtle Wax ICE car wash but I gave it away after noticing it has beads which can scratch the paint. I would say Chemical Boys Citrus Wash & Gloss would be a better choice. Maybe DI can chime in of what they think is best.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:05 AM
08ivorypearl

hey whatsup man, i have a few questions. what would be a good clay bar to use? texture wise, brandwise.... also whats a good wax to use? so far ive just been using everything Ice.i think its by armor all.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Thanks for the heads up! I'll check out the DODO JUICE Detailer when it gets in Woo-hoo Can't wait!
Just placed our latest order for the new Dodo stuff, hopefully it's in and up by the end of the month. Cheers!

Originally Posted by Kwang

Regarding if you need to reprotect the paint, it depends on the shampoo you use and how strong of a cleaner it is. I'm not familiar with the TW Ice Shampoo, but if it's a strong shampoo, you'll want to reprotect your G each time you wash. A great maintenance shampoo that won't strip off your protection is Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II and is $19.99 (before the G37 discount) for 128oz. That's my go-to maintenance shampoo, suds up very nicely, works in a foam gun, lots of lubricity, and smells amazing! Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by 08ivorypearl
hey whatsup man, i have a few questions. what would be a good clay bar to use? texture wise, brandwise.... also whats a good wax to use? so far ive just been using everything Ice.i think its by armor all.
I'd recommend using a fine grade clay bar for most vehicles. Medium grade clays are more aggressive and can mar the paint, especially the soft Infiniti paint. I'd always recommend following up with a polish if you go the medium route. Most clay is made from the same manufacturer in the US so as long as it's a fine grade bar you're good to go. I like the Clay Magic Fine Grade Clay because it comes with a handy storage case.

Wax it really depends on what you want to spend. A majority of your results stem from properly prepping the paint by removing as much contamination (washing and claying) and as many imperfections (polishing) as you can. After you master those two steps, protecting your paint with a sealant or wax will add more depth and gloss to the finish. Bang for the buck, Poorboy's Natty's Blue is tough to beat. It provides a very wet finish and lasts a good 4 - 8 weeks. P21S Concours Carnauba wax is easy to apply and remove, doesn't stain trim, and looks great on any colored vehicle. Beyond that you start getting into some of the higher priced waxes, the Dodo Juice line of waxes is pretty amazing, so are either of the Chemical Guys waxes.

Have a great weekend,

George
Old 04-03-2009, 09:21 PM
Kwang

You guys should carry the Swissvax Crystal Rock by Paul Dalton, retails for... $1,100. ;]
That thing better be impenetrable lol. And I thought the DoDo for $129 was high...
Old 04-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Two questions for the pros:

1) If you machine wash and dry your MF towels, how do you keep them from having lots of static? I dry them on low heat in the dryer with no fabric softener sheets but they have so much static that they really attract lots of dust when I use them on the paint. Any tips?

2) After applying glaze, if the car gets rained on before applying an LSP, is the glaze washed away? What if you have to rewash the car, does glaze need to be reapplied first before LSP?

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image