Build Threads

The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 11:58 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Most of these places do sales for big holidays, especially Stillen. Black Friday, X-mas, New Year's, etc.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:00 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I installed the jsolo clutch pedal assist spring the other day and it works well. I never stalled the car before like some people mentioned, but the engagement point of the clutch did feel a little vague. Now it feels much more precise like a normal clutch and I have no excuse for snubbing it. Installation is a snap. This is a good bang for the buck upgrade.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:37 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I recently had my car in for some warranty work and they replaced the auto belt tensioner and belt so I figured I would have them throw on a Stillen pulley while they had everything apart. This is the first part I didn't install myself so I cannot speak to any difficulties, but if it is like the crank pulleys I have put on other cars, I cannot imagine it is too difficult.

As far as a performance difference, I do not notice much hp gain, but it definitely revs a lot faster which is a nice improvement. I always thought the engine was very slow to react to throttle inputs. Not anymore. Don't make this your first mod, but for how cheap it is, it is worth the upgrade- especially if you are already replacing the belt.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:02 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Here is the G37 with my anthracite painted Mitsubishi Evo rims on snow tires. One problem- the thread is different so I tried the Infiniti lugs, but they are 1-2mm too wide for the rims. So it was either drill out the lug bores on the Evo rims or mount and balance the snows on the duckfeet. So I am back to the ugly duckfeet.

Rochester- I was trying to find the pics of your duckfeet on spacers. Could you post those back up with they brand and size of your spacers? How tight do you torque the spacers and how often do you check them? Are they hub centric? Thanks!

Old 12-31-2015, 11:13 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Rochester- I was trying to find the pics of your duckfeet on spacers. Could you post those back up with they brand and size of your spacers? How tight do you torque the spacers and how often do you check them? Are they hub centric? Thanks!
Yes, the spacers are hub-centric to the G. I only have to use hub rings on my Vossens, not the spacers. I purchased the spacers from B2 AutoDesigns, who's an active vendor here on the forum. They'are adapters, meaning they have their own lugs. I bought mine in 15mm, spent $200. And I torque them down to the same 85 foot-pounds as the lugnuts on the wheels. I don't check them. Too much of a PITA, and only on for for months. I should check them, but I'm lazy.

This year I'm not using the lame half-height open lugnuts that came with the spacers. They are so-o-o easy to strip. Instead, I'm using these cheap-o spline drive lug nuts. Turns out there's enough space between the lug holes on the duckfeet.

Here's a pic from last year. The duckfeet are relatively flush dropped on Swifts and spaced 15mm. Some people go with 20mm, but I was hedging my bets when I bought them. I think it worked out well enough.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/build-t...ml#post3844585

Last edited by Rochester; 12-31-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:51 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Yes, the spacers are hub-centric to the G. I only have to use hub rings on my Vossens, not the spacers.
Awesome! Thanks for the info. So the spacers are hub centric to the car, but do they have a hub centric ring themself to position the wheel or is the only thing holding the wheel in place the lug nuts?
Old 12-31-2015, 12:03 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Awesome! Thanks for the info. So the spacers are hub centric to the car, but do they have a hub centric ring themself to position the wheel or is the only thing holding the wheel in place the lug nuts?
Fitted to the hub, with a lip that's fitted to the duckfeet.

So both. No worries. Look at the pic here:

Old 12-31-2015, 10:57 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
I like those Evo wheels on your G, can't just get narrow diameter spline style lug nuts?
Old 01-01-2016, 11:24 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Fitted to the hub, with a lip that's fitted to the duckfeet.

So both. No worries. Look at the pic here:

Ah ha! Thanks, that makes sense

Originally Posted by blnewt
I like those Evo wheels on your G, can't just get narrow diameter spline style lug nuts?
I agree, I would much rather run the Evo rims. I wish it was that easy. If you know a place, let me know. The problem is that the Evo rims (and duckfeet) use mag seat lugs and all the aftermarket lugs I found are tapered and just deform the lug bores instead of going through them.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:18 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Ah ha! Thanks, that makes sense

I agree, I would much rather run the Evo rims. I wish it was that easy. If you know a place, let me know. The problem is that the Evo rims (and duckfeet) use mag seat lugs and all the aftermarket lugs I found are tapered and just deform the lug bores instead of going through them.
I wonder if you could find just one of these on the cheap and do a test fit??
Maybe it would just require a smaller OD washer??
Or is it the ID of your wheel lug bore that's too narrow??
Dorman Products - 611-103
Here's a few different sets at O'Reillys, seems like there should be something out there that would work, G/L
List: Wheel Lug Nut - 2009 Infiniti G37 | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Old 01-01-2016, 01:56 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Take one of the wheels to a good tire shop and tell them your thread pitch/size and they should be able to find something that'll work for you.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:33 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I wonder if you could find just one of these on the cheap and do a test fit??
Maybe it would just require a smaller OD washer??
Or is it the ID of your wheel lug bore that's too narrow??
Dorman Products - 611-103
Here's a few different sets at O'Reillys, seems like there should be something out there that would work, G/L
List: Wheel Lug Nut - 2009 Infiniti G37 | O'Reilly Auto Parts
The washer is ok, it is the lug bore of the wheel that is too small for the Infiniti lug to go through. All the places I am looking at online like the links you have just list direct replacement lugs by manufacturer. So I need to somehow find a manufacturer that uses the Mitsubishi lug bore, but the Infiniti thread. What do you think the chances of that are from the guy making $8/hr. at O'reilly? I'm thinking, not so good.

Originally Posted by Epiphany
Take one of the wheels to a good tire shop and tell them your thread pitch/size and they should be able to find something that'll work for you.
I hope so, I'll give it a shot
Old 01-01-2016, 05:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Can you knock out the Infiniti lug-nut studs and tap in Misubishi studs?

Maybe that's a dumb question, and the simple answer is "No". But on the off-chance that the seats are universally sized, and it's just the studs themselves that have a different diameter...

Last edited by Rochester; 01-01-2016 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:49 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

The washer is ok, it is the lug bore of the wheel that is too small for the Infiniti lug to go through. All the places I am looking at online like the links you have just list direct replacement lugs by manufacturer. So I need to somehow find a manufacturer that uses the Mitsubishi lug bore, but the Infiniti thread. What do you think the chances of that are from the guy making $8/hr. at O'reilly? I'm thinking, not so good.
Ok, It's a bit clearer what you need to do (at least in my mind, lol). Should be pretty simple for a machine shop to bore the holes just a bit. I was thinking the outer diameter of the lug nut (including washer) was too wide so you'd have to bore the recessed area of your wheel mounts. As long as your Infiniti lug nuts fit fine otherwise sounds like it should be a pretty easy fix. Since both cars use 12mm studs the amount to bore out should be minimal like you mentioned above.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:46 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Can you knock out the Infiniti lug-nut studs and tap in Misubishi studs?

Maybe that's a dumb question, and the simple answer is "No". But on the off-chance that the seats are universally sized, and it's just the studs themselves that have a different diameter...
That is an option I thought of that would probably work, albeit a pain in the **** since I would have to switch wheel studs for summer/winter wheels every time I switch.

Ok, It's a bit clearer what you need to do (at least in my mind, lol). Should be pretty simple for a machine shop to bore the holes just a bit. I was thinking the outer diameter of the lug nut (including washer) was too wide so you'd have to bore the recessed area of your wheel mounts. As long as your Infiniti lug nuts fit fine otherwise sounds like it should be a pretty easy fix. Since both cars use 12mm studs the amount to bore out should be minimal like you mentioned above.
You really think that would work? I am just worried that if the new bores are not completely centered they will need to be enlarged more which will cause a whole host of problems. I am going to see if a wheel shop can find narrower lugs with the right thread. Fingers crossed...

Quick Reply: The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan