Build Threads

The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 12:41 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
That is an option I thought of that would probably work, albeit a pain in the **** since I would have to switch wheel studs for summer/winter wheels every time I switch.

You really think that would work? I am just worried that if the new bores are not completely centered they will need to be enlarged more which will cause a whole host of problems. I am going to see if a wheel shop can find narrower lugs with the right thread. Fingers crossed...
Hopefully you can find some compatible lug nuts, but a good machine shop can do very accurate centering on re-drills.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
This is the redline cover. My shop chaged me $35 as they spent a few hours modifying/installing it.
When you say "modifying" for the install... what do you mean? Did they take it apart and re-stitch it?
Old 01-04-2016, 02:32 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
When you say "modifying" for the install... what do you mean? Did they take it apart and re-stitch it?
Good question. I forgot to ask exactly what they had to do to get it to fit. I don't think they had to restitch anything so they may have just stretched it or got creative in how they reattached it. When I talked to Redline they made it sound like mine was an exception, so yours may fit just fine.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Good question. I forgot to ask exactly what they had to do to get it to fit. I don't think they had to restitch anything so they may have just stretched it or got creative in how they reattached it. When I talked to Redline they made it sound like mine was an exception, so yours may fit just fine.
If I like the new boot, then next up will be the arm-rest. Thing is, I want it to look like yours, which is OEM perfect. So IDK if I should just order it and take it to a leather shop, or order a large-enough section of uncut Charcoal Leather from Redline, and take that to the leather shop.

In hindsight, are you still solid that your armrest is perforated? I was thinking the armrest ought not be perforated, unlike the shift boot. No wrong answer, I suppose.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:48 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
If I like the new boot, then next up will be the arm-rest. Thing is, I want it to look like yours, which is OEM perfect. So IDK if I should just order it and take it to a leather shop, or order a large-enough section of uncut Charcoal Leather from Redline, and take that to the leather shop.

In hindsight, are you still solid that your armrest is perforated? I was thinking the armrest ought not be perforated, unlike the shift boot. No wrong answer, I suppose.
I think you will be ok ordering the normal armrest rather than ordering the material and having someone else make it from scratch. I was told mine was a fluke so you will probably be ok.

I know, to each their own. But I really like the perforated look on the armrest and shift boot as it does a nice job of tying in the center of the seats. Very Feng Shui
Old 01-07-2016, 02:14 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Hopefully you can find some compatible lug nuts, but a good machine shop can do very accurate centering on re-drills.
Well, I took your advice and took the wheels to a machine shop that was recommended to me by a good wheel shop in the area. The place has been around for a long time judging by one of the old presses they had that probably dates back to the industrial revolution. Should be a walk in the park for them. Fingers crossed...
Old 01-13-2016, 11:34 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Best mod yet

I forgot to post up a pic of the best Christmas present I got. My wife saw these in the mail a few days before Christmas, wrapped them up and put on the tag that they were from her and the DOT. Nice!

Old 01-13-2016, 09:32 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Awesome plate, sounds like the wife is on the same page
Any updates on your machined wheels?
Old 01-13-2016, 10:42 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Awesome plate, sounds like the wife is on the same page
Any updates on your machined wheels?
Picked them up yesterday from the machine shop. They tried to tell me they centered the holes off the center bore of the wheels and the lugs were not originally completely centered. So the lug bores are slightly off center from their original position. Test fit a wheel yesterday and they seem to be ok, but a bit of a snug fit. One of my techs at work is going to mount and balance them when they have time so hopefully it all works out.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (01-13-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 10:44 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

So having the hub bores drilled to size was a bad idea. What do you know, the hub bores were not off center at all. The wheels vibrate like crazy now because they are not centered on the hub. So just as I feared, they just turned my rims into very expensive paperweights. It is a small shop too so they probably won't help at all with the replacement costs. Not my best day.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:23 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Ouch. Then I guess props for effort means absolutely nothing. Sorry to hear this.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:38 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

So having the hub bores drilled to size was a bad idea. What do you know, the hub bores were not off center at all. The wheels vibrate like crazy now because they are not centered on the hub. So just as I feared, they just turned my rims into very expensive paperweights. It is a small shop too so they probably won't help at all with the replacement costs. Not my best day.
Damn, that's horrible, so they didn't center the new holes to the old ones, so each hole was taking more material off one side so now all the holes are off center? Wonder how they came to that conclusion about the bores?
Old 01-17-2016, 01:28 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

They said they centered the holes off of the center bore of the wheel, but that cannot be true. It seems to me there is a much better chance their machine was off instead of every wheel company who has ever made a 5x114.3 wheel
Old 01-18-2016, 02:00 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

blnewt- Thanks for finding those super thin 1mm hub centric rings. I ordered a set. The machine shop is going to re-bore the lug holes and press in an aluminum sleeve so that there is no gap on the lugs. Hopefully they get the hub bores right and everything works this time. Fingers crossed...
Old 01-27-2016, 11:47 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Still waiting on the rims I dropped off last Monday. Called today and the head honcho has been out sick and no one else knows what to do. Good grief!

Last edited by 4DRZ; 01-27-2016 at 12:34 PM.

Quick Reply: The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan