Build Threads

The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 10:17 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Yeah that short shifter looks awesome! Is it fairly simple to install? Do you notice any rattling on the highway? I only ask because every shift kit I have every installed with new bushings always rattled in top gear on the highway. I am assuming this one fixes that problem because it uses ball bearings.

"Everythings ball bearings nowadays! Maybe you boys need a refresher course." -Fletch
The inside the car part of the install is easy. The under the car part kinda sucked. Honestly though, if you're going to jack up the car to do the shifter springs, you might as well do the STS. The effort is about the same.

No rattle in 5th or 6th. It did however increase an existing rattle I already had in 1st and 2nd.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:05 AM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Personally and with hindsight, I'd put sways at the top of that list, with the RJM clutch pedal second, and cats third.
I totally agree with this order for anyone who has a 6MT. Maybe one can switch the third out with CBE depending on if they wanted more sound as opposed to performance.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:33 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Thanks, I'll weed through that thread when I have time. What did you notice different with the pedal spring?
Old 09-24-2015, 01:37 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Thanks, I'll weed through that thread when I have time. What did you notice different with the pedal spring?
https://www.myg37.com/forums/group-b...g-for-6mt.html

Old 09-24-2015, 01:47 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I was wondering your impressions, but thanks for the 33 page link...
Old 09-24-2015, 01:58 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I was wondering your impressions, but thanks for the 33 page link...
I'm in there somewhere, along with countless other very positive opinions over the last 4 years.

You're very welcome, 4DRZ.

"Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day..."
Old 09-24-2015, 03:01 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
I'm in there somewhere, along with countless other very positive opinions over the last 4 years.

You're very welcome, 4DRZ.

"Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day..."
Unfortunately, after being on many car forums over the last 17 years, you are not going to teach me anything about searching for a long thread to get maybe one or two bits of good info. In fact that was the first link that popped up when I searched for the part that you mentioned.

I was curious about your specific input since you are on here all the time and opinions change. You had that spring and then upgraded the whole unit so clearly your opinion has changed as well. If you are too busy to answer my questions, no problem. I won't bother you anymore.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

The return spring was a fantastic driveability mod for an otherwise awkward OEM design. The RJM pedal is 10x that, and then more so in that it's adjustable and moves the point of engagement down the throw. The RJM pedal is one of those, "should've done this earlier" things. That, and swaybars, which you really ought to prioritize.

Relax, OP. Free advice is awesome, and I've offered lots already just because. However, it only matters in so much as you can corroborate it with additional research or first-hand experience.

I'm looking forward to watching your progress. If your feathers are ruffled by my writing style, get over it and enjoy the forum. There are lots of good people here, lots of good experienced advice, and more than a little camaraderie with like-minded members. You'll see.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-24-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:23 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
The inside the car part of the install is easy. The under the car part kinda sucked. Honestly though, if you're going to jack up the car to do the shifter springs, you might as well do the STS. The effort is about the same.

No rattle in 5th or 6th. It did however increase an existing rattle I already had in 1st and 2nd.
Wierd. I have yet to notice any rattling in 1st or 2nd gear yet. I don't think that would be the end of the world though as I am usually not in those gears for very long.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:09 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Wierd. I have yet to notice any rattling in 1st or 2nd gear yet. I don't think that would be the end of the world though as I am usually not in those gears for very long.
It's not a constant rattle, only on certain roads under certain load conditions. I drive down my residential road in 1st at 27 mph with little throttle and no vibration. On blacktop, with moderate throttle, between 5-6000 rpm, there is a rattle. Maybe it's something in my glovebox

And don't mind Rochester. He's an internet bully. This one time....in the chat thread...He made a n00b cry...For plasti-dipping his grille.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:59 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

If you are going that fast in 1st I don't think I have anything to worry about as far as rattles. That shift kit looks like a serious case of over engineering. I like it! Definitely adding it to the ever expanding list of things I want to do.

Man, if that is all it takes I think I will plasti-dip my entire car... purple
Old 09-26-2015, 08:32 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Today the plan was to install the MTEC shifter springs and the Z1 high flow cats after work. The MTEC shifter springs went in fine and in hindsight I wish I would have remembered to install them at the same time as the transmission mount since that got dropped down anyway for more access to the right side spring. If you do the shifter springs I would highly recommend using a 27mm combination wrench, lift, and lower the transmission. The directions say to just use a crescent wrench and do not mention lowering the transmission. I honestly do not see how that would be possible without rounding the bolts.

Anyway, I just drove the short commute home and I have to say I definitely notice a nice difference in how precise the shifter is. Especially the shifting between 1st and 2nd and 5th and 6th. This mod combined with the new trans mount makes shifting much more precise like a short shift kit. If you did just the springs, I think you would be hard pressed to tell a lot of difference because the transmission still moves around a bit.

Unfortunately, the free-flow cat installation did not go so well. Everything came apart fine on both sides except the top outer nut on both cats. It is a very tough nut to get to and even tried taking off the intake tubes and going in from the engine bay with long extensions. Unfortunately that just led to a broken socket from all the twisting. Looks like I might be doing headers after all and I will install the cats at that point.

Also put Auto Armor on the exterior/interior of the car so I can spill whatever I want inside and slide across the hood in style like the Duke boys.

10/7 UPDATE: For those of you worried about not being able to feel a difference with these springs, just get a lighter shift ****. You will notice a huge difference.

Last edited by 4DRZ; 10-07-2015 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:40 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Well I ordered the Tein Basis coilovers and a bunch of other parts yesterday so I should have some new pics up next week. Now my credit card needs a break
Old 09-30-2015, 11:02 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Well I ordered the Tein Basis coilovers and a bunch of other parts yesterday so I should have some new pics up next week. Now my credit card needs a break
Are you going to drop and align, before you decide on camber arms, or are those the other parts?

Given that you already have the RWD S, I suspect you'll find the Tein Basis ride quality virtually identical to what you're used to. Which can be either a good thing or a bad thing, depending on expectations. It's hard to look away from quality CO's for our car that cost only $600... the lack of damping adjustment notwithstanding.

After the drop... rims or wheel spacers? Spacers might just give your bank account the break you need for another year or so. The duckfeet really don't look bad when properly dropped and spaced. That's how I run in the Winter, which is coming up again soon.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:31 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I still have the stock Evo rims that I had painted a metallic anthracite that bolt right up and look better on this car than the Evo.(how is that possible?) They have good snow tires so I will get the lowering and alignment set up ok with those for the winter and then finely tune the height & alignment in the spring when I go with some wider wheels and sticky summer tires. I will probably be selling the duckfeet with new tires once it starts snowing here.

Quick Reply: The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan