Build Threads

The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 03:22 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I still have the stock Evo rims that I had painted a metallic anthracite that bolt right up and look better on this car than the Evo.(how is that possible?) They have good snow tires so I will get the lowering and alignment set up ok with those for the winter and then finely tune the height & alignment in the spring when I go with some wider wheels and sticky summer tires. I will probably be selling the duckfeet with new tires once it starts snowing here.
Wait.....Evo wheels fit?

Any chance you know the dimensions/offset?

Got a pic of them on your car?
Old 09-30-2015, 04:24 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Evo wheels have the same bolt pattern, 18x8.5 and 38 offset. I test fit one up front to make sure it would clear the brakes. It has a lot more clearance than the stock Infiniti wheels.

They currently make my car look like a monster truck with the stock suspension and shorter sidewalls. I will get some pics up later once I have the suspension dialed in and a need for the snow tires that are wrapped around them.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:53 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Evo wheels have the same bolt pattern, 18x8.5 and 38 offset. I test fit one up front to make sure it would clear the brakes. It has a lot more clearance than the stock Infiniti wheels.

They currently make my car look like a monster truck with the stock suspension and shorter sidewalls. I will get some pics up later once I have the suspension dialed in and a need for the snow tires that are wrapped around them.
Thanks. Are they forged? Relatively light weight?
Old 10-01-2015, 12:58 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

No just the BBS rims on the Evo MR are forged. I believe these are made by Enkei so they are relatively light for cast wheels.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:31 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Had some time after work last night and got the Tein Basis coilovers installed. If you have a lift, a tall jack stand(for compressing the rear springs), and air tools it is a pretty easy installation. I would recommend doing the front first as the rear take less time.

The Nissan/Infiniti engineers really did a good job of making this an easy installation. I have put suspensions on many other cars and this has got to be one of the easiest to do. Tein's installation diagrams make things A LOT easier too.

I suggest making sure you realize you can unbolt the top of the rear shocks from under the car. I have never seen a set up so easy that I just assumed the top hat nuts were accessible from the trunk or rear seats. (Only wasted 5 minutes with this) Also, measure and adjust the lock collars on the rear coilovers before installing the spring. Much easier to do without spring tension working against you. Lastly, make sure you have the rear springs right side up so you can read the Tein emblem.

The most surprising part of these coilovers is the ride. They really do ride very similarly to stock on just about every type of road. I have had many coilovers in the past (some even from Tein) and they all rode awful on the street. These ride great on the street. The only type of road the car bounces a bit is a new road that they did not get the seams quite right on.

The car also handles better in the corners now. There is noticeably less body roll now and the handling is just a bit more predictable when the tail end steps out. (It was already pretty easy to judge)

Front installed

Rear installed

These are the nuts for the top hat in the rear. You will want a long extension for these, but don't worry about taking out the rear seat or trunk trim to get to them.

Last edited by 4DRZ; 10-08-2015 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:52 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
The most surprising part of these coilovers is the ride. They really do ride very similarly to stock. I have had many coilovers in the past (some even from Tein) and they all rode awful on the street. These ride great on the street and do handle better in the corners now. There is noticeably less body roll now and the handling is just a bit more predictable when the tail end steps out.
Good to read positive opinions about these CO's. I suspect these Tein Basis coilovers will become more and more popular with the G crowd, relatively quickly. You haven't upgraded your swaybars yet, right? I think it's pretty cool that these CO's reduced body roll with OEM sways. Just more evidence that this is a worthy suspension mod.

And wow, your rears are dialed in low in that picture. Is that where you ended up, or just where you took the photo?

Last edited by Rochester; 10-07-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:28 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Yes I am going to wait until the spring to do sway bars. (One less winter with salt for them)

That picture is at the recommended height for the G37 coupe in the owners manual that came with the coilovers. What setting did you use? It does look pretty slammed right now, but I attribute that partly to the fact that I still have the factory rims/tires on with fat sidewalls until it snows.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:36 PM
Rochester
Administrator

What setting did you use? It does look pretty slammed right now, but I attribute that partly to the fact that I still have the factory rims/tires on with fat sidewalls until it snows.
My goal was to match floor-to-fender height between the front and the rear. The fronts are still on Swift Springs, and their settled height after 1+ year is 26 3/4"... so that's what I was targeting with the CO's in the rear.

To get that high (LOL), I'm pretty much at the extent of the threads, with maybe a 1/4" available after the rings. It's hard to tell, because you can't easily see behind the coils. Here's a pic of the exposed threads; 14 to 15 or thereabouts:

Old 10-07-2015, 12:59 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I believe I am roughly 3/4" lower than you. Waiting to get the winter rims/tires on before I zero in the height
Old 10-07-2015, 01:01 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Nice write up w/ great pics! I'm not sure why Tein doesn't list the Sedan in their application guide, they're really missing out on 50% of their G market w/ that line of thinking. The Coupes drop lower w/ the coilovers set at the same height on the adjusters, that's one reason why so many of the KW owners aren't happy w/ how low the sedan rides even at their highest adjustment.

You two really need to add your pics & opinions to this folder as it will be a valuable resource.
Brakes & Suspension - MyG37
BTW 4DRZ, if you could post that instruction sheet w/ any review posts that would be a bonus, it seems that there's at least one case of no instructions being included.

Thanks a lot for posting this and glad your initial review is so positive
Old 10-07-2015, 01:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I believe I am roughly 3/4" lower than you. Waiting to get the winter rims/tires on before I zero in the height
That would be my guess, too, looking at your top-seat adapters.

The rear collars require a fair amount of effort to turn. Have you considered buying a spanner wrench with a longer handle for your next round of height adjustment? Then again, with all your CO experience, you probably have a box of them lying around. In hindsight, I kind of wish I had one. Joe's Racing has a variety of spanner wrenches that look interesting.

Originally Posted by blnewt
You two really need to add your pics & opinions to this folder as it will be a valuable resource.
You're right, of course, Brad. Maybe if 4DRZ goes first, I'll take a turn after he's done.

I'm reminded of the response that it's not you, it's me, and I'm not really that into you.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-07-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:14 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
BTW 4DRZ, if you could post that instruction sheet w/ any review posts that would be a bonus, it seems that there's at least one case of no instructions being included.

Thanks a lot for posting this and glad your initial review is so positive
Not to worry, I will get a review up after I get some more seat time with them. I could try to scan the diagrams in the instructions too, but they are pretty greasy after paging through them while I was doing the install.

Originally Posted by Rochester
Have you considered buying a spanner wrench with a longer handle for your next round of height adjustment?
I did notice the rears are definitely more difficult to adjust than the fronts, but not much different than most coilovers. Fortunately, reducing that spring tension is just one bolt away if I adjust them too much and no longer have feeling in my hands.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:46 PM
sLADe781
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Nicely done 4DRZ! Sounds like you didn't have any trouble at all. The fronts were very easy to do but I had such a hard time with getting the rear bucket bolt back in. Glad you didn't run into any issues!

One thing I noticed though...did you cut the upper part of your dust cover to reuse with your top hat? I'm looking at the picture above and don't know if I'm missing it but I don't see it. When I was installing my COs, I actually got stuck with that step and was on the phone with Tein for a good 20 minutes to clarify which piece we needed to cut and retain (I originally thought it was the bump stop). I had to send them pictures of the pieces I had taken apart for them to clarify.

At any rate, glad you're liking the new setup. Once you get your car to the proper height, take a couple of shots!
Old 10-07-2015, 04:21 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 256 Likes on 228 Posts
My first time reading or seeing this thread. Seems like you've gotten some parts ordered and installed nice work. Mainly just wanted to say hello and auto subscribe by commenting
Old 10-07-2015, 05:15 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by sLADe781
Nicely done 4DRZ! Sounds like you didn't have any trouble at all. The fronts were very easy to do but I had such a hard time with getting the rear bucket bolt back in. Glad you didn't run into any issues!

One thing I noticed though...did you cut the upper part of your dust cover to reuse with your top hat? I'm looking at the picture above and don't know if I'm missing it but I don't see it. When I was installing my COs, I actually got stuck with that step and was on the phone with Tein for a good 20 minutes to clarify which piece we needed to cut and retain (I originally thought it was the bump stop). I had to send them pictures of the pieces I had taken apart for them to clarify.

At any rate, glad you're liking the new setup. Once you get your car to the proper height, take a couple of shots!
You are right, I totally forgot that part. It did seem rather pointless since they already come with their own dust boots for the shock and I am more concerned with the shock than the top hat. What did you do with the stock boot?

I just used a tall jack stand to compress the rear spring to bolt it back up. If you tried to do that by hand, I can imagine that would suck. Another thing that helped was I did not bolt up the shock bottom until I secured the bolt for the spring. That allowed the whole hub to pivot to help line things up.

I will get some pics up once I get the winter wheels on and the height sorted. Right now it looks slammed with the fat stock sidewalls

Originally Posted by Redfire32
My first time reading or seeing this thread. Seems like you've gotten some parts ordered and installed nice work. Mainly just wanted to say hello and auto subscribe by commenting
Yeah, and now my credit card needs a rest. Phew! I have a few more parts incoming, but will be taking a brake after I get a few more parts in. Anyway- welcome!

Quick Reply: The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan