Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 10:53 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Agreed. I guess I never really paid much attention to that car as it seemed very quiet. All the fun Jaguars seem to make lots of obnoxious noises. Which one are you pining over- R-Dynamic, 400 Sport?
Nothing that ambitious. I'm 54 tomorrow, and although I have moments where I waver, pretty sure I'll still be wanting a manual transmission in that car. However, the only F-Type's with a manual transmission are the standard V6 model (at 340 hp), and the S model V6 (at 380 hp). And since the only way you get LSD is to get the S... seems like a reasonable thing to target as a 5-6 year old car. Also, 380 hp is just enough to be really fun.

If I ever give up the stick, then heck yeah... V8 all the way, pending affordability.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:03 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Well Happy early Birthday! (I'll forget by tomorrow since I am also no spring chicken)

That should be a fun car!

I have also been tempting fate by drooling all over the loaded Audi RS3 sitting in our Audi showroom that only comes with a DSG transmission. The performance is astounding, the exhaust sounds fantastic with the 5 cylinder, and the interior is beautiful (this would normally be easily evidenced if our photographer had hands slightly more steady than an alcoholic with Parkinson's disease- (kid hopped up on energy drinks)).

I honestly almost pulled the trigger on it before Christmas. I finally allowed my wife to get a puppy (I'm not a dog guy... yet) and she said as a result she was fine with me getting any car I wanted. Fortunately growing up poor has taught me to be very wise with money so my logical side kicked in and reminded me that a used GT-R or an R33 Skyline (legal in the U.S. this year) might be a better option. No worries, I still like driving my car a lot now that I feel I finally have the shifter/driveline/powertrain sorted so I think I will keep it a while. Fun to think about all the fast metal we could get though isn't it?

Old 01-09-2018, 12:37 PM
Rochester
Administrator

There's a lot I relate to there, 4DRZ. Although personally, I'm driving less and less, year over year. I'm becoming a hermit.

But the big thing for me that keeps demanding attention is that my girls are going to college. It's getting so that every large ticket item lately is looked at in the context of "we-could-have-saved-more". Hard to make an argument for discretionary hobby dollars, no matter how much I budget or plan.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:53 PM
SomeName
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Didn't you notice that's the new 2.0T? Pretty car, sure, but don't care.

That powertrain doesn't belong in that car, IMO.
D'oh! Hadn't noticed/ didn't think that far into it.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:05 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

There's a lot I relate to there, 4DRZ. Although personally, I'm driving less and less, year over year. I'm becoming a hermit.
That can only mean one thing- time for more "go fast" parts.
Or just time to hit a few more back roads.

But the big thing for me that keeps demanding attention is that my girls are going to college. It's getting so that every large ticket item lately is looked at in the context of "we-could-have-saved-more". Hard to make an argument for discretionary hobby dollars, no matter how much I budget or plan.
I hear you. I really try not to waste a single cent on anything I don't have to or just find something else to do other than spend money. (My wife is the exact opposite) I just don't make it obvious to anyone like the hardcore penny pinchers. The one exception I make is for my car.

I don't know which is more difficult:

Me trying to remain relatively practical in my car choices knowing I could just go out and buy some ridiculously fast car, but choosing not to because I am so damn practical with my money and I would only get to use the full potential of said car a few times a year on track.

-OR-

You knowing you cannot waste gobs of money on a fast car because you value your daughter's educations.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:54 AM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I have also been tempting fate by drooling all over the loaded Audi RS3 sitting in our Audi showroom that only comes with a DSG transmission. The performance is astounding, the exhaust sounds fantastic with the 5 cylinder, and the interior is beautiful (this would normally be easily evidenced if our photographer had hands slightly more steady than an alcoholic with Parkinson's disease- (kid hopped up on energy drinks)).
[/IMG]
I drove the RS3 last year and was left speechless as to how astonishing the power was on that little rocket how great it sounded. I'm a big fan of double clutch since it's almost rare to find an MT. I was in love with it, Audi's styling in my books is the best in German cars. I really liked the car and may consider it when my lease it up.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:46 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Goonz
I drove the RS3 last year and was left speechless as to how astonishing the power was on that little rocket how great it sounded. I'm a big fan of double clutch since it's almost rare to find an MT. I was in love with it, Audi's styling in my books is the best in German cars. I really liked the car and may consider it when my lease it up.
Glad to hear you liked it. The one that is at our store was sold when it got here and got cleaned up and put on the showroom right away so I have not had a chance to drive it or hear it in person. I'm jealous of you now. As soon as that puppy comes off the showroom, I'll be behind the wheel.

I think it is safe to say the RS3 is definitely on the top of my list whenever I finally decide to replace the G.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:35 PM
Rochester
Administrator

A young man in a 2013 G37x Sedan followed me into a parking lot to ask me questions about my car. My first somewhat nervous thought was, did I cut this guy off or something? But no, he was just excited to recognize how the car was modified.

That was kind of unusual, and genuinely flattering.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:24 PM
Rochester
Administrator

In other news, my rear suspension is squeaking again. Oh. My. God.

It seems to be coming from both corners equally, although I really can't tell because of my fkd up hearing. However, pop the trunk and rock the car up and down, it's very obvious and very loud. I just had the strut mounts and bushings replaced a few hundred miles ago... that something else would crop up is insane.

Rear sway bar bushing? I honestly don't know. Damn it.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:26 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
A young man in a 2013 G37x Sedan followed me into a parking lot to ask me questions about my car. My first somewhat nervous thought was, did I cut this guy off or something? But no, he was just excited to recognize how the car was modified.

That was kind of unusual, and genuinely flattering.
I met one of my really good friends this way. Followed me down a small unmarked street and kept honking at me. "Can I ask you a few things about your car? I want to do some similar mods" haha.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:55 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
In other news, my rear suspension is squeaking again. Oh. My. God.
That sucks! I know the feeling though. If you recall, I "fixed" my front suspension squeak by cleaning and re-lubeing the sway bar bushing. Yeah, that lasted like 4 weeks

Happy belated birthday!
Old 01-11-2018, 07:43 PM
SomeName
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
That sucks! I know the feeling though. If you recall, I "fixed" my front suspension squeak by cleaning and re-lubeing the sway bar bushing. Yeah, that lasted like 4 weeks

Happy belated birthday!
​​​​​​Conspiracy theory: the garage changed the strut mounts and it still made the noise. Rather than losing face by admitting they were wrong and risk losing money on the job, they inject some lube into the sway bar links to quiet it for now. And a few weeks later......
No idea where you took it, but I know a lot of dishonest mechanics.
And happy birthday 🎂
Old 01-11-2018, 07:55 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by SomeName
​​​​​​Conspiracy theory: the garage changed the strut mounts and it still made the noise. Rather than losing face by admitting they were wrong and risk losing money on the job, they inject some lube into the sway bar links to quiet it for now. And a few weeks later......
And happy birthday 🎂
The Little Speed Shop. It's on the west side, at Lee & Lexington.

https://www.thelittlespeedshop.com/

Cynic.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:13 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by SomeName
And happy birthday 🎂
I love a good conspiracy theory but that doesn't look like a shady shop.

A shady shop would lube the bushings and lie about changing the shock mounts.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:27 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Today was the first time I've driven the car in two weeks. Temps were zero to 20°F all that time, and then today it jumped up to 60°F, which is super weird.

So... sitting for weeks, frozen, and then unfrozen.

I don't know, man. I'll get under it tomorrow and see if I can pin point it. Honestly, I'd be happy to find the RSB bushing need greasing, and it's just a freaking coincidence. That would be totally fine.

Does the sway twist in the bushings as the rear raises and lowers?

Last edited by Rochester; 01-11-2018 at 08:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G