Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 10:11 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by rhdh104
Did you install the black trim rings on your fogs ?
Yes. Back in April.

Truth is, with my Moonlight White car, I actually prefer the chrome rings to the gloss black ones. However, since I put the effort into it, I'm going to use the black rings this year, and likely swap them out for the chrome ones next year.

And if the day ever comes where I have the headlight assemblies painted darker, i can always go back to the black rings. Having two sets gives me options, which is nice.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-16-2015 at 06:01 AM.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:49 AM
rhdh104

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Your headlights look really bright / clear. But it looks fine with a white car. Is your grille painted.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:40 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by rhdh104
Your headlights look really bright / clear. But it looks fine with a white car. Is your grille painted.
Original OEM sport headlights, which actually have a darker chrome housing than the non-Sport... however difficult it is to tell that. Yes, they do look bright in this pic. Too bright. Someday I might get them painted, but that's pretty low on my list.

With regard to priorities, I surprised myself by having the grille customized two years ago. Moonlight white on the perimeter, and gloss-metallic black on the slats.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:02 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Swung by the Mechanic's this morning and had the bushings and top-seats swapped out in the rear. As I learned last month, I need to give it a few days/miles to settle in, but already recognize that this was the right move. Even when looking at the fender/tire/wheel orientation from the side-view mirror as I'm driving, and I can see the difference in negative camber, where the rims poke less than they did with the 5/8" bushing. And although there's probably a 1/4" of settling coming over the next few days, the profile already looks better to my eye.

Very much the right move here. (big relieved sigh)

Pics and measurements floor-2-fender coming later this weekend.
Please explain, what was "the right move"? Going to 3/8" Beveling the factory mount? Reseating the spring?

Thx
Old 06-20-2015, 02:17 PM
Rochester
Administrator

^^^
Going to 3/8" instead of 5/8". Notching the factory mount was just how I made that work.

After I get measurements and pics, I think 'm going to put all this into its own thread.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:38 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
^^^
Going to 3/8" instead of 5/8". Notching the factory mount was just how I made that work.

After I get measurements and pics, I think 'm going to put all this into its own thread.
Thank you.

What was you net height difference after the 3/8" install?
Old 06-20-2015, 03:20 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 256 Likes on 228 Posts
Yes. Back in April.

Truth is, with my Moonlight White car, I actually prefer the chrome rings to the gloss black ones. However, since I put the effort into it, I'm going to use the black rings this year, and likely swap them out for the chrome ones next year.

And if the day ever comes where I have the headlight assemblies painted darker, i can always go back to the black rings. Having two sets gives me options, which is nice.

I'm definatly loving the metallic black on the middle slats. Honestly I think your right maybe I should be going with QAA on the top n bottom slats of my grill like yours John. I'm not 100% sure that black chrome will turn out dark enough for my taste in the middle slats. Going BC will also make it much more difficult to pull of the gloss black vinyl wrap I'm going to use on the bottom middle portion of the IPL front bumper.

Since I'm most likely going to attempt the QAA vinyl wrap on the outermost edge of the CF splitter going with QAA on the grill like yours is will most likely look better and make the splitter vinyl belong more.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:30 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Thank you.

It's been about 5 days now, so I figure whatever settling is going on will have occurred by now. I'm due for measurement and pics. Maybe later this afternoon.

Two thoughts about that... (and remember, I am not an Engineer):

1. The thinner 3/8" bushing has more twist in it by virtue of having less poly material. That might contribute to allowing for more give in the smaller bushing than the thick one.

2. By notching the top seat instead of beveling the bushing, that allows pressure to be applied 100% to the flat. With the beveled bushing approach, pressure was also applied to the cone of the top-seat. This new approach might also contribute to allowing for more give in the ride height.

See, this is the kind of crap that fills your head when you obsess over stupid details.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:03 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Thank you.

I took measurements again today. Happy Fathers Day to Me!

Here's the methodology: I identified a location nearby that has a large, relatively new, expanse of blacktop. (That would be our Middle School. Not a lurker, LOL ) I parked the car in a spot, and measured floor to fender, accurate within 1/16th ticks. Then I turned the car around and did it all over again, in the same parking spot. Then I moved it to another parking spot, and did it again. Then yet again in a third spot.

The thinking is that few places are *truly* level, and there will almost always be variations in how the car sits, based on surface materials and pitch.

Here are the new measurements (below). As it stands (sits) now, the rear is approximately 0.04" to 0.12" higher than the front. For all practical purposes, I'd say that was spot-on. In inches, that's between 1/16" and 1/8". Not too shabby.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-21-2015 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:35 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Droopy Bum Thread

And here's the thread where I pulled all this information together:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ion-2-0-a.html
Old 06-21-2015, 01:23 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 256 Likes on 228 Posts
Textbook assessment John. Are you available as a consultant? Once I finish up with all the exterior n suspension mods I'd love to have you over for some steaks and scallops grilled by yours truly. Possibly a nice single malt scotch as well if that's your cup of tea.

Afterwards we could do a little walk around my G and you can give me your thoughts/recommendations.

Are you aware that your build thread is approaching 70,000 views? Impressive to say the least.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:19 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Wanted to learn a little more about Windows Movie Maker, so I grabbed the camera and got some video proof of this stupid driveway of mine.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:27 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Your driveway sucks.

I back up my driveway into the garage without even thinking about it. Cant imagine dealing with that.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:33 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Your driveway sucks.

I back up my driveway into the garage without even thinking about it. Cant imagine dealing with that.
I've lived here now for 19 years, and have become pretty adept at navigating that rise from the road to the sidewalk. But you can imagine how much I freaked out at the idea of lowering my car last year. Fortunately, if I come in and out with a stupidly exaggerated approach, it's OK. I probably have a quarter inch to spare, and it helps if I drop out out slowly.

However, coming into the drivway I actually have to get some speed so that I don't stop the forward progress while one wheel is up in the air. I know that sounds silly... really, it's not as bad as it sounds. LOL

One thing's for sure: there's no front lip in my future.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:08 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Yep, just like my drive but mine's wide enough where I can get on 3 wheels to help get by
No wonder you don't bring that out in the cold, might not ever get back to your house

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G