Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 07:27 PM
thebals

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rochester, congrats on the new G and welcome to the club. Car looks great.

My opinion on the lowering is that it boils down to personal choice. Soem people do not mind the stock wheel gap, others outright hate it. I am kinda 50/50 on this, sometimes the wheel gap does not bother me and some other times I hate it.

Still, I am more inclined to spend money on installing Hotchskis sway bars for cornering performance rather than installing springs or coilovers for ride quality or wheel gap; cause the stock ride quality is just fine for me. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Thanks, thebals. You're absolutely right that ride height is personal preference. And when presented in that context, I don't have any issue.

OAN, as I get more and more used to the clutch and the gears, I've been experimenting with making a hard launch from a standing start. Yikes! It's pretty impressive. After winter moves on and these summer tires grab hold better, and my confidence grows, etc., I'm looking forward to playing without the traction control.

Anyway, liking this car more and more each day.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:30 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Since you mentioned getting used to the clutch, remember to give the clutch mods a go. Easy to do and easy to reverse if you don't like one, the other or both.
I did both within a a couple months and love it this way.
DIY: Clutch Fix#1 - pedal travel - G35Driver
DIY: Clutch Fix #2 - Oh what a feeling - G35Driver
Old 02-08-2012, 10:18 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Love lowered Gs, but it's a love-hate thing, I now HATE speed bumps, steep driveways, snow deeper than 3", any tire rubber in the road, and potholes
Old 02-08-2012, 10:28 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
Since you mentioned getting used to the clutch, remember to give the clutch mods a go. Easy to do and easy to reverse if you don't like one, the other or both.
I did both within a a couple months and love it this way.
DIY: Clutch Fix#1 - pedal travel - G35Driver
DIY: Clutch Fix #2 - Oh what a feeling - G35Driver
^ hey rpm&my, do you have to do both fixes, or fix #1 before doing fix #2? i'm interested in fix #2 (removing spring) but i'm not too keen with drilling holes in fix #1. will fix #2 net the most obvious differences?
Old 02-09-2012, 09:27 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
^ You can remove the spring (mod#2) without doing mod#1. In fact that's what I did. I drove without the spring for about a week before doing the 'pedal travel' mod.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:46 AM
pdpMIATA

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Love lowered Gs, but it's a love-hate thing, I now HATE speed bumps, steep driveways, snow deeper than 3", any tire rubber in the road, and potholes
Definitely agree with you on this one. Wish I could lower my G but can't due to the same restraints

Money better saved than spent!
Old 02-09-2012, 09:28 PM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Visiting Williamsport, staying next to a Wegman's. Took a walk for nostalgia's sake...

It was like going back in time.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:30 AM
owslystnly

i thought i was the only person with rear wheel drive and a manual around these parts.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:45 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Coprolite
Visiting Williamsport, staying next to a Wegman's. Took a walk for nostalgia's sake...

It was like going back in time.
Just to clarify for the Wegman-less, Wegman's is a regional grocery store chain, and just about the best grocery store in the Nation.

Originally Posted by owslystnly
i thought i was the only person with rear wheel drive and a manual around these parts.
Well... there are two of us at least. I'm in Irondequoit. The car is in the garage waiting for winter to end. Mostly because I'm too cheap to buy and mount snows for only a few more weeks.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:15 AM
owslystnly

Well... there are two of us at least. I'm in Irondequoit. The car is in the garage waiting for winter to end. Mostly because I'm too cheap to buy and mount snows for only a few more weeks.
I used to live off of Monroe, but moved down to Lakeville/Livonia recently. Much more relaxing.

Definitely get snows if you are going to drive around in the G in the winter. I got caught in a snowstorm as I was driving to get my snowtires, and had my Michelin Super Sports on....and it was one of my scariest driving experiences ever. No control whatsoever, going 5mph.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:06 AM
Coprolite

That is why I am not sad that I now live in Texas. I can still visit M&D in the summer!
Old 02-17-2012, 11:06 AM
dagon68
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
lowering the center of gravity does not translate directly to better handling. It's convenient to make that argument off-hand as part of a contributing rationale, but most people lower their cars because of a personal judgement that it's somehow an attractive look.

Go figure.
I'm not trying to start a pissing match. Maybe i'm confused but when you lower a car, doesnt that reduce air underneath the car and in turn equal better handling? Also, what about the weight of the car? If it's lower to the ground doesnt that affect the handling. I dunno but I would like your thoughts on this. Thanks
Old 02-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Like any mod, it all depends on the technique and the severity of the alteration. Too cheap or too much, and things get worse, not better. It's a simple truism that applies to a whole range of topics.

As for lowing the sedan, I don't care... because my G is perfect right where it is. The wheel gap is relatively uniform when the car is level, and that's where I want it.

I've spent the last few years over at Maxima.org, and there are yahoos over there cutting springs and rolling fenders with a baseball bat.

[youtube]S-BGIcRBPHM[/youtube]
Old 02-17-2012, 12:30 PM
dagon68
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
cutting springs
That right there says it all! perfect example of lowering a vehicle and making it handle worse! Thanks for that insight

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G