Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Blackstone Laboratories Oil Analysis Reports

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 03:11 PM
notalk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by silent06
This has recently been noted by the fact of Nissan adding an ester additive to conventional oil, in an attempt, to pick up or boost the formulation.
Not the reason at all. Please see posts referring to Nissan's European patent application and techinical paper dealing with diamond-like VVEL valve coating.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:24 PM
silent06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by notalk
Not the reason at all. Please see posts referring to Nissan's European patent application and techinical paper dealing with diamond-like VVEL valve coating.
After reading the patent application and your post (#81) in the Itb08-028: Noise From Bank 2 Vvel Actuator thread, I raise the same questions. If the purpose of the European patent is an oil strictly for improved fuel economy in a PAO base stock instead of ester. Why is Nissan making the ester recommendation? How does ester oil provide more complete lubrication than PAO? Both base stocks have extreme pressure formulations. How is the ester recommendation being associated as a step in remediating the noise or ticking in the VVEL engine?
Old 11-17-2008, 05:09 AM
shabbo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by silent06
After reading the patent application and your post (#81) in the Itb08-028: Noise From Bank 2 Vvel Actuator thread, I raise the same questions. If the purpose of the European patent is an oil strictly for improved fuel economy in a PAO base stock instead of ester. Why is Nissan making the ester recommendation? How does ester oil provide more complete lubrication than PAO? Both base stocks have extreme pressure formulations. How is the ester recommendation being associated as a step in remediating the noise or ticking in the VVEL engine?

Motul 300 ester solved my oil consumption problem.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Ahujadaddy

Dealer Bulk 5w30 - 6500mi

Well, after a few long months of being absent from the forums
(kinda been busy getting engaged and poppin the question and stuff ) ... i'm back.
-- Just in time to post my Blackstone UOA results, which i got a couple days ago:

I sent in a sample of the dealer bulk oil just for fun. I was lazy and let this oil run in my car for 6500 miles... like i said, i been busy shopping for diamond rings instead of mods for the G !! lol The dealer's oil actually held up VERY WELL, but i poured in some German Castrol Syntec 0w30 cuz im all for the synthetic bandwagon. lol. Shd be interesting to see how it does.

Well, i'll stop talking now and post up what you all came in here to see:

Miles on Oil: 6,500
Miles on Engine: 30,000
Air Filter: Stock Air Boxes with 15K miles
Oil Filter: Nissan OEM
Transmission: 5AT
Driving Style: Spirited, 75% highway. 19 mpg

Just in case something ever happens to where those pics are hosted^^ lemme write it out in plan text as well:
Universal Average is in BOLD

ALUMINUM---------------- 5 .................. 4
CHROMIUM---------------- 0 .................. 1
IRON---------------------- 7 .................. 12
COPPER------------------- 14 ................. 11
LEAD---------------------- 3 .................. 7
TIN----------------------- 0 .................. 2
MOLBDENUM-------------- 72 ................. 114
NICKEL------------------- 0 .................. 0
MANGANESE------------- 1 .................. 1
SILVER------------------- 0 .................. 0
TITANIUM--------------- 0 .................. 0
POTASSIUM------------- 2 .................. 1
BORON------------------- 5 .................. 35
SILICON----------------- 10 ................. 15
SODIUM------------------ 3 .................. 7
CALCIUM---------------- 1697 .............. 1982
MAGNESIUM------------- 19 ................ 257
PHOSPHORUS------------ 594 .............. 708
ZINC---------------------- 738 ............... 865
BARIUM------------------- 0 .................. 0

SUS VISCOSITY @ 210F …………… 55.7 ...... 54-61
cSt VISCOSITY @ 100C …………… 8.97 ...... 8.5-10.8

FLASHPOINT IN F …………………… 390 ........ >365
FUEL % …………………………………… <0.5 ....... <2.0
ANTIFREEZE % ………………………… 0.0 ........ 0.0
WATER % ………………………………… 0.0 ........ 0.0
INSOLUBLES % ………………………… 0.3 ........ <0.6

TBN………………………………………… 3.2

Pretty happy with that!
Old 11-28-2008, 09:49 PM
w0ady

congrats on getting married!

stock oil looks pretty decent.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:15 AM
dyezak

Originally Posted by KahnQuistador

This whole thing about the "best" oil is nonsense.

BB says he's never had an oil related problem. I've never had an oil related problem. Even the poster who asked if it was time to change oil at 15K miles didn't mention an oil related problem. Nobody else is talking about oil related problems.

Keep it fresh and change filters when you change the oil. Easy as that. Use what you like. If you choose to pay $12 a quart, so be it. I say you wasting your money. But it IS your money and you can spend it your way.
I had to register here just to comment on this. I am researching new car purchases (370z is one I'm looking at) so I have been reading this board.

I used to own several Turbocharged AWD DSM's and work at a shop part time to help my modification addiction. My daily driver at the time was a t3/t4 60-1 GSX, putting around 450whp down. Putting around town I would have an average EGT temp of around 900F, on boost (26psi) I would hit 1470F. During a shift I had a form of lag control tuned into the ECU that would retard the timing to force the flame front into my turbine and keep it spooled. At this point it would peg out my 1600F gauge and I really don't know how hot it got.

One day I was doing some work to my car and had to use whatever oil I had laying around. I usually used Mobile 1 and had no problems. I didn't even think twice about throwing that $.78/qt oil into my engine at the time. That night I went out and ran the car fairly hard, had no problems at all. But the next morning on the way to a friends house I saw my car smoking.

Long story short the Oil coked up in the center section of the turbo and caused a blockage. It also formed a layer of sludge in my oil pan. Took an entire weekend to clean that mess up...

So, even though you haven't ever had an oil related problem, or don't know people who have....doens't mean it hasn't ever happened. That $.78/qt oil was fine in my friends NA Civic, but the turbo on my car brought it to it's knees in one day.

So I commend people for finding out (more scientificly than I) what is the limits for their oil, in their car, under their driving circumstances.

(P.S. don't get me started on gasoline, you are correct, that's a witches brew that can spawn all kinds of arguments)
Old 12-30-2008, 04:46 PM
silent06

Below is my second analysis by MRT Laboratories & Terry Dyson:

Last edited by silent06; 12-30-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:55 PM
w0ady

^neat info. so looks like your iron, copper and silicone were high after break-in which should be normal. also, copper running a little elevator isnt abnormal. not sure about the physical tests though. thanks for posting.

did they say how much life was left in your oil? and was your first test with the oem ester oil?
Old 12-30-2008, 05:30 PM
silent06

Originally Posted by w0ady
^neat info. so looks like your iron, copper and silicone were high after break-in which should be normal. also, copper running a little elevator isnt abnormal. not sure about the physical tests though. thanks for posting.

did they say how much life was left in your oil? and was your first test with the oem ester oil?
Terry stated I could have run it an OCI of 7500. This was my last oil change using Amsoil SSO 0w30. I am now running ester based RLI Bio-Syn 0w30 and 75w90 diff fluid. After about 3k to 5k miles, we will see how it compares to Amsoil and other ester based engine oils in the G.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:23 PM
notalk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
silent06, thanks for posting this. The first analysis was 2,825 miles. Was this the first 2,825 miles on the car with the Factory fill?

Have you noticed any changes with the synthetic rear end fluid? Thanks again.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:09 PM
silent06

Originally Posted by notalk
silent06, thanks for posting this. The first analysis was 2,825 miles. Was this the first 2,825 miles on the car with the Factory fill?

Have you noticed any changes with the synthetic rear end fluid? Thanks again.
Yes, that analysis was for the first 2825 miles on the car. However, it was not with the factory fill. When I took delivery of the car, it only had 4 miles on it. At that time, I requested the oil and filter be changed to Amsoil 0w30 SSO and Amsiol EaO20 oversized filter. The differential fluid was also changed to Amsoil 75w90, so unfortunately I can't provide a definitive answer regarding the differential.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:08 AM
w0ady

well since there isnt much info out there, i decided id send out my oil to blackstone labs for analysis ($22.50/sample). so far i have about 5500 miles on my 37 and ive gone through 2 oil changes. did my first at 2154 and stayed with nissan 5w-30 (ester additives) to make sure the engine was broken in. at 5044, i switched to motul 300v 5w-40 (true ester full synthetic). althought sharif said it wasnt necessary and motul 8100 would be fine, i dont mind spending the extra $ since oil is 1 of the most important things i can do for my motor. i plan on switching out the 300v every 5000 miles. ill probably send it out 1-2 more times just to see how its doing.

results are pretty standard. higher than average due to break-in but the good news is everything is coming down. nothing is at a harmful level really, just elevated. one thing to note is i pulled these samples towards the beginning of the drain so i would get the worst case scenario.

nissan 5w-30 @ 2154

nissan 5w-30 @ 5044

Old 03-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Ahujadaddy

sw33t. thanks for posting. i have read on BITOG forums that you gotta be running your car hard for Motul 300v. If you let your car sit for long periods, or dont drive it hard often then it can actually be bad. I can't remember the specifics but something about a residue forming since its the truest form of ester oil or something.

Based on this reading, a friend of mine stuck with the 8100. The blackstone reports shd help you spot anything abnormal tho. keep it up! I hope to be posting a UOA of the German Castrol 0w-30 in early summer.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:07 PM
w0ady

i considered the 8100 as well but i put 1500-2000 miles a month and drive hard at times so i went with the 300v.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:47 AM
Ahujadaddy

yea, just saw ur other post about liking to drive above 6k rpm all the time. LOL... good call on the 300v. seems like you kno whats what with the oil, thanks for posting.

Quick Reply: Blackstone Laboratories Oil Analysis Reports