Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 09:50 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by jnguyen
hey can yall help me out. Can you give me some suggestion on IP. also what yall use. This is what i bookmark so i can get all at the same time after i ask yall.

Car Soap: CG Citrus and Gloss - Great product that's very versatile. Can be used in high concentration to strip off previous coats of protection or highly diluted as a maintenance shampoo.
Claybar: chemical guys fine grade clay bar - Good choice, Luber is a good clay lube as well. You could try Poorboy's Spray & Wipe or Chemical Guys Synthetic Quick Detailer instead and double up as a great quick detailer.
Polish (light cutting): Menzerna PO106FF - Great choice
Polish (medium cutting): Menzerna IP - Good choice
Polish (heavy cutting): - If you need a heavy cutting polish go with either Menzerna Power Gloss or Optimum Hyper Compound
Glaze: Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze - Good choice if you're using FMJ on top
Sealant: Menzerna FMJ - Great sealant, you'll love the ease of use and surface slickness left behind
Wax: Really depends on your wax budget, but some good options are either of the P21S Waxes, Dodo Juice Light Fantastic or White Diamond, or bang for the buck Natty's Red is a great option
Tire Dressing: Blackfire Tire Gel - Great choice
Wheel Sealant: Go with Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant, highly recommended
Interior Protectant: - If you're looking for just a protectant 303 Aerospace Protectant is one of the best UV protectants. If you want a cleaner as well as protectant, go with Optimum Protectant Plus
Leather Care: Lexol - Good choice
Quick Detailer: Poorboy spray and gloss Nice QD, wipes away streak free easily
Glass Cleaner: Stoner's Invisible Glass - One of the best

i also got the PC 7424 starter kit. all from detailed image.com

you think you can teach or tell me what steps i need to take and etc. what do i use for Clay bar lube cause i got the chemical guys luber or whatever. Im about to get a professional detail and after that i wanted to start washing my car the right way and detail myself instead of paying the 300 for full interior and exterior detail

Im order all this and more at the same time after i get my Pro Detail. Total for everything came up to 540 without shipped haha so im order it soon
You have put together a great package and you'll certainly be able to properly maintain and detail your vehicles from here out.

A good starting point to learn would be to read over our auto detailing guides. It goes in the proper order of how you should perform the detailing steps.

Be sure to use the coupon code FREESHIP309 if you ordering before the 18th. This will give you free shipping on your order as well as 10% off.

If you have any questions on anything, please do not hesitate to ask.

George
Old 03-14-2009, 02:17 PM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
You have put together a great package and you'll certainly be able to properly maintain and detail your vehicles from here out.

A good starting point to learn would be to read over our auto detailing guides. It goes in the proper order of how you should perform the detailing steps.

Be sure to use the coupon code FREESHIP309 if you ordering before the 18th. This will give you free shipping on your order as well as 10% off.

If you have any questions on anything, please do not hesitate to ask.

George
thanks for the help george. One question. My brother and I were painting a house and my brother got a paint drip on the back of his shirt and he didnt know and he sat in my car and the paint dried on my seat. its about a size of a quarter. anyway to clean that?
Old 03-15-2009, 11:49 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

thanks for the help george. One question. My brother and I were painting a house and my brother got a paint drip on the back of his shirt and he didnt know and he sat in my car and the paint dried on my seat. its about a size of a quarter. anyway to clean that?
I'd start with a degreaser that would be safe to use on vinyl and leather, such as P21S Total Auto Wash. If that doesn't break it up and allow you to remove it, then you'd have to seek a more aggressive option. Hopefully the all purpose cleaner does the trick for you, something like 303 Fabric & Vinyl Cleaner, 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover, Poorboy's Bio APC, the P21S Total Auto Wash, etc. would all be good places to start. Once the cleaner has sat on the paint spot, it may require some agitation with a towel or medium bristle brush. After cleaning the spot, I'd recommend using a leather specific cleaner and conditioner as the cleaner may dry out that area a little.

Hope this helps.

George
Old 03-15-2009, 03:19 PM
GT35R
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will I be able to remove swirls and light scratches with PO106ff Ceramic Clear Coat Polish or do I need a more agressive compound polish?
Old 03-15-2009, 05:32 PM
jnguyen

I'd start with a degreaser that would be safe to use on vinyl and leather, such as P21S Total Auto Wash. If that doesn't break it up and allow you to remove it, then you'd have to seek a more aggressive option. Hopefully the all purpose cleaner does the trick for you, something like 303 Fabric & Vinyl Cleaner, 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover, Poorboy's Bio APC, the P21S Total Auto Wash, etc. would all be good places to start. Once the cleaner has sat on the paint spot, it may require some agitation with a towel or medium bristle brush. After cleaning the spot, I'd recommend using a leather specific cleaner and conditioner as the cleaner may dry out that area a little.

Hope this helps.

George
alright. thanks man
Old 03-15-2009, 10:16 PM
jds

Great thread. It took a couple of weeks, but I finally finished the whole thing. Here are my outstanding questions

1. I have a clear bra on front bumper and factory clear coating over rear wheel fender area. Can/should I put FMJ sealant over the clear bra? If so, how do I keep sealant out of the edges? Especially that coating on the rear fender in front of the wheel? It seems that if I were to avoid putting FMJ on the front bumper, that I could just put blue painters tape in the bumper seam. But what do I do about that section by the wheel?

2. How do I shield the vinyl areas of the interior when spraying the high tech fabric guard or can I just wipe it off the vinyl afterwords?

4. Do I spray aerospace protectant on an MF towel and then apply or spray directly on the surface and then wipe?

5. I'm a big fan of using Murphy Oil Soap. It's a wonderful product and very safe to use. Anyone have any direct experiences with it that aren't good?
Old 03-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by GT35R
Will I be able to remove swirls and light scratches with PO106ff Ceramic Clear Coat Polish or do I need a more agressive compound polish?
It really depends on how deep the swirls and light scratches are. PO106FF is about a 3 in terms of aggressiveness on a scale of 1 - 10. You're only going to remove swirls and scratches when it's applied with a buffer, and I'd suggest using a white or green pad. The next jump up in terms of aggressiveness ia Super Intensive Polish, which would be able to remove deeper imperfections than 106 and would be more like a 5 - 5.5 in terms of aggressiveness. I recommend applying SIP with an orange pad. It's always good to have multiple levels of polishes and pads on hand because you never know when you're going to get a scuff or scratch, etc. I'd say an experienced buffer user with SIP and PO106FF can remove most common imperfections.

alright. thanks man
Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

Originally Posted by jds
Great thread. It took a couple of weeks, but I finally finished the whole thing. Here are my outstanding questions

1. I have a clear bra on front bumper and factory clear coating over rear wheel fender area. Can/should I put FMJ sealant over the clear bra? If so, how do I keep sealant out of the edges? Especially that coating on the rear fender in front of the wheel? It seems that if I were to avoid putting FMJ on the front bumper, that I could just put blue painters tape in the bumper seam. But what do I do about that section by the wheel?

You can seal clear bras with FMJ. What I'd suggest doing is using some 3M blue painters tape to mask of the edges to ensure you don't get any product caked up on the edges. You may want to do this first, then tape off the opposite way when you're done with the clear bra so you can protect as close to the edge of the bra as possible. Any time you don't want a product, whether it's FMJ or a polish or anything else, simply tape off the area.

2. How do I shield the vinyl areas of the interior when spraying the high tech fabric guard or can I just wipe it off the vinyl afterwords?

It's best to not get 303 High Tech Fabric Guard on areas other than carpet. I found that getting finer misting bottle really helps control the dispensing of the product. I'd suggest snagging one of our 4oz pump spray bottles or something similar. If you do get the HTFG on areas other than fabric, I'd suggest having a vinyl cleaner and a microfiber towel handy to wipe off as fast as possible.

4. Do I spray aerospace protectant on an MF towel and then apply or spray directly on the surface and then wipe?

Your best bet is to spray it directly into the microfiber towel and wipe. To really control your product usage, you can use a pump spray bottle. I find it easily allows you to apply a thin coating of protection with minimal streaking and a very matte, factory new like finish.

5. I'm a big fan of using Murphy Oil Soap. It's a wonderful product and very safe to use. Anyone have any direct experiences with it that aren't good?

Unfortunately, this is something I've never tried. Which surface were you planning on using it on?
Hope this helps, cheers!

George
Old 03-16-2009, 09:56 PM
jds

It's best to not get 303 High Tech Fabric Guard on areas other than carpet. I found that getting finer misting bottle really helps control the dispensing of the product. I'd suggest snagging one of our 4oz pump spray bottles or something similar. If you do get the HTFG on areas other than fabric, I'd suggest having a vinyl cleaner and a microfiber towel handy to wipe off as fast as possible.
I was thinking that I'd put the fabric guard on the carpet itself and not just the mats. Mats are easy to take out and spray, but what about the carpet that I can't take out? The wintertime snow makes a mess that often goes beyond just the mats. From the sound of your warning, it might make sense for me to use a shaped piece of thin cardboard to shield the vinyl as I'm spraying?
Old 03-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by jds
I was thinking that I'd put the fabric guard on the carpet itself and not just the mats. Mats are easy to take out and spray, but what about the carpet that I can't take out? The wintertime snow makes a mess that often goes beyond just the mats. From the sound of your warning, it might make sense for me to use a shaped piece of thin cardboard to shield the vinyl as I'm spraying?
That's a good technique. Another one I used to use was to take a box and open it up all the way so that it's basically just the 4 sides with the top and bottom open. Box in the area you want to protect and spray down. I used this technique when applying the product to a fabric convertible top. Sorry I didn't mention this before.

Hope this helps.

George
Old 03-23-2009, 02:08 AM
jnguyen

is there anyway to buff out a metal bar. I have the Gtspec Strut bar and it rub against the bottom of my hood so my bar is like Scratch and look as if it was burn in some spot where it turn black. I want it to be shiny and chrome again. ill take picture if needed to show what i mean

also my car rug thing is dirty. has like rain water and stuff and dirty shoes on it. what can i use to clean that or should i throw it in the washer machine

Last edited by jnguyen; 03-23-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:06 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

is there anyway to buff out a metal bar. I have the Gtspec Strut bar and it rub against the bottom of my hood so my bar is like Scratch and look as if it was burn in some spot where it turn black. I want it to be shiny and chrome again. ill take picture if needed to show what i mean

also my car rug thing is dirty. has like rain water and stuff and dirty shoes on it. what can i use to clean that or should i throw it in the washer machine
It depends on how the bar was damaged, but basically you'd want to use a metal polish to restore the finish. Typically what I'll do to restore something like this, like exhaust tips, is apply the metal polish with some 0000 grade steel wool to remove most of the oxidation, scuffs, etc. Then follow up with a foam applicator pad to bring out the depth and gloss again of the finish. Just be careful if it's a chrome coating, sometimes if they are thin it's easy to wear through. Always test in a small area before going to town on the entire bar. Consider P21S Finish Restorer or Optimum Metal Polish.

Typically what I'll use to clean carpets is something like 303 Fabric & Vinyl Cleaner at about a 6:1 water to product ratio. I dilute it in a spray bottle, using hot water. The hot water helps break up stains in the carpet. You also want to get yourself a firm bristle upholstery brush so you agitate the stains. They sell them almost anywhere locally. Basically spray the solution on the carpet, let it dwell for a minute or two, agitate with the brush, repeat as needed. Vacuum up the loosened debris and allow the carpet to dry. If you want to find a local carpet product to use, I know Folex is popular.

Hope this helps.

George
Old 03-24-2009, 06:17 PM
XtatiC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys, what could I use to clean my headliner??? I noticed some disgusting dirty marks above one of the back seats from people's greasy heads... it really grosses me out and i want to get rid of it..
Old 03-24-2009, 07:32 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by XtatiC
Hey guys, what could I use to clean my headliner??? I noticed some disgusting dirty marks above one of the back seats from people's greasy heads... it really grosses me out and i want to get rid of it..
Has he been in your back seat again?

Name:  untitled-1.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  16.4 KB

Sorry, couldn't help it.

I've used 303 Fabric and Vinyl Cleaner with good success on small spots.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:02 PM
Loi

George,

Whats the differences between the LC CCS and the original flat foam pads?
Old 03-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by XtatiC
Black Betty offered some good advice. I typically will use a fabric cleaner, such as the 303 mentioned, mist it onto a microfiber towel and blot the dirty area. You want to avoid rubbing and scrubbing as you can spread the grease beyond the area it's already affecting.

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Has he been in your back seat again?

I've used 303 Fabric and Vinyl Cleaner with good success on small spots.
Thanks Jeremy

Originally Posted by Loi
George,

Whats the differences between the LC CCS and the original flat foam pads?
Dimples that store extra polish, same foam though. I personally do not like the CCS pads because polish builds up in those dimples and sometimes it will dispense on the paint when I don't want it to. It also can account for increased dusting, or product caking up on the paint easier. I've had the best luck with the flat pads and swapping them out after a few panels to ensure the pad doesn't cake up with polish. I usually put 3 pea sized drops on the pad and continue putting 3 drops each time I work a new area in a different spot. When my pad is pretty much covered in dots, and I can't put the polish on a clean part of the pad, I'll swap it out for a fresh pad.

Hope this helps.

George

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image