Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 12:06 PM
lobuzz311
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts
Looks like they didn't get dinged up much if at all in shipping, despite the worthless packaging. That's good!

I'm curious why you're choosing to only do the rears when you have the whole setup? Seems like a waste to have to get it installed twice...
I know you picked up the rear camber arms, did you not end up getting the fronts to go with it? Is that what the issue is for now?
(I think you should install them both, so you can give your lengthy, well-written review of how they ride. I'm not crazy about the Swift springs, so I may be going this route if they don't completely suck.)
Old 08-04-2015, 12:33 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
honestly the fronts are way easier than the rears to install probably take an extra hour to just throw the fronts in
Old 08-04-2015, 12:44 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by lobuzz311
I know you picked up the rear camber arms, did you not end up getting the fronts to go with it? Is that what the issue is for now?
Yep, that's it exactly. I'm saving the front install for next Spring, when I may or may not get camber arms up front.

All this crap is way out of sync to my budget and my plan. Factor in the endless dribble (hindsight) of money on this failed approach with spring bushings, and I'm feeling very self-conscious about the money spent. Granted, I'm not really factoring in yet another alignment next year, but the rationale there is I might tweak the rear height a few times this Fall anyway.

That's all it is, man. I look at the wife & kids and an upcoming family vacation, and am a little embarrassed about it all. Not so much that I don't mind chronicling it all here, but I'm not proud. Different motivations, LOL.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:33 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by ChinkyChoy
honestly the fronts are way easier than the rears to install probably take an extra hour to just throw the fronts in
I must be missing something here but how are the front's easier than the front's? When doing the BC's on my old maxima, the rears were cake compared to the front's.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:41 PM
lobuzz311
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts
Rochester's new G

I think he may have been referring to the camber kit, not the coils themselves.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:50 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Glad they showed up in that condition, sounds like it could have been much worse. Looking forward to the unveil. Sorry you had so much hit & miss w/ the sagging **** "fix", hopefully your ill feelings toward it all will go away once you get this new setup dialed in. keeping my fingers crossed for you J
BTW, is this a big family vacation? Hope Wally World is still open
Old 08-04-2015, 08:11 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
well i mean i did install them like 4+ years ago it was all pretty easy just take out bolts take our struts and springs put new stuff in and bolts back in. its just less stuff in the front since its only a strut and not strut and springs
Old 08-10-2015, 09:19 AM
nishfish871

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Those look very similar to my Tein SS-P's. I'm surprised you'd go with a setup that doesn't have any dampening control. I use my EDFC all the time depending on who's in the car.

As with mine and maybe yours, the fronts should have zero preload maybe even a gap between spring and seat depending on how low (when car on lift). Bad concept on Teins side, but it makes height adjustment very easy.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:24 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Yeah, those Super Sports were the holy grail of CO setups on the Org, weren't they?

I'm none too concerned about the lack of damping adjustments. And nothing is forever, Nish, meaning the door is always open for a future upgrade.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:24 PM
sLADe781
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
These arrived yesterday, scheduled for installation on August 17th. And like I discussed, I'm only targeting the rears this summer (along with the rear camber arms.)
Hey Rochester, I know you said that your coilovers won't be installed until the 17th but I was wondering if you know if you have to preload the coilovers before install/after height adjustment? If you're not sure would you be able to ask your shop when they do the install? Also, if you do have to preload, would you mind asking them for instructions as to how?

I just picked up a set as well and am researching as to how to properly raise/lower the vehicle after install and cannot figure out if preload needs to be addressed or not/how to properly do it.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 08-15-2015, 03:26 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by sLADe781
Hey Rochester, I know you said that your coilovers won't be installed until the 17th but I was wondering if you know if you have to preload the coilovers before install/after height adjustment?
At this time, I'm only having the rears installed, so in that context, no... coils and shocks are separate in the rear.

IDK what the installation process is with the front. The Tein Basis kit reuses the OEM top-hat, and I won't be having the fronts installed until next year. For no particular reason except that I'm content with the Swift Springs + OEM front sport shocks at the moment, and I thought it would be curious to run a mixed set for a while. Plus, I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a front camber kit that I don't have yet, so all in good time.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-15-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:57 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
^ he is talking about preloading the rear shocks because they are separate. Some say zero preload is fine for the rear but I personally put a 4mm preload when adjusting the height because I noticed too much bounce with zero preload.

Edit: I didn't realize you have basics. If you don't have adjustable rear shocks then you can't adjust preload.

Last edited by ttv36; 08-15-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:09 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by tonyHTX
^ he is talking about preloading the rear shocks because they are separate. Some say zero preload is fine for the rear but I personally put a 4mm preload when adjusting the height because I noticed too much bounce with zero preload.
Haha, well then. Some things I know, some things I don't.

Old 08-15-2015, 04:27 PM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Yeah Man-About to order these but just have to wait for the H&R springs to get processed as a return first. For the life in me I can't find anything on the web about adjusting height properly and initial setup. Looking forward to your install thread
Old 08-15-2015, 04:37 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Haha, well then. Some things I know, some things I don't.
I put an edit in as I realize that you got the basics. If the rear shock heights aren't adjustable then you can't adjust preload.

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G